Syns - why are some free and others not!?

~JoJo~

Hi,

I was buying some treats today and I picked up a Hartley's jelly pot. The whole thing is 10 calories with no sugar and no fat. But its not free. Muller light, which is 95 calories for a pot, and contains 7g of sugar and 0.5 g fat is free? I was really annoyed to find that something with better values than a muller light is not free. If I ate 10 muller lights in a day I would have consumed nearly 1000 calories (half the daily recommended allowance for a woman) I would need to eat 100 jelly pots to achieve the same amount of calories.

What is the logic behind this??? Or is it simply an advertising contract going on here between ML and SW? Calories are still calories at the end of the day. Your body doesn't care whether its a yogurt or a jelly pot, its still going to process the calories the same, so to me personally - it doesn't make sense.

Its not just Muller light to be fair. Other things (like fat free french dressings that are free) when I compare them to other 'lighter' dressings, the 'other' would have lower values, so really - it should be free too? It had less sugar, less fat, less salt - all round better product - so why was it not free!!

HE bug me too. Why are so many cereals, which have the 'wholegrain' tick on them, sinned when cereals like fruit N Fibre counts as a HE? What is it based on? Sugar or fat? There are cereals with less fat than HE ones and yet they don't count as a HE

Anyone know? I am an SW online so don't have a group leader to ask these things to.

x

I agree, but I can't ask my SW consultant. she sucks. seriously. she's been a consultant for 3 weeks and she's terrible.

it's aparently based on sugar and fat and some magic SW made up on the spot I think. I decided hartleys jelly pots were so low, I'd just not syn or mark them down.

also, are we meant to swallow our fruit whole so it doesn't get mashed in our mouths?

Calories are not just calories. You could eat 400 calories worth of chocolate without thinking about it and half an hour be looking for more . 400 calories worth of a free food like pasta will fill you up for hours and is usually accompanied by superfree foods that add to the satiation factor.

Healthy extras are based on fibre content (and protein on green days) not fat.

HE bug me too. Why are so many cereals, which have the 'wholegrain' tick on them, sinned when cereals like fruit N Fibre counts as a HE? What is it based on? Sugar or fat? There are cereals with less fat than HE ones and yet they don't count as a HE

Cereals are hex's based on their fibre content.

it's aparently based on sugar and fat and some magic SW made up on the spot I think. I decided hartleys jelly pots were so low, I'd just not syn or mark them down.

also, are we meant to swallow our fruit whole so it doesn't get mashed in our mouths?

No offence have you actually take the time to read the science behind the plan. The information is all there in the health professionals section of the SW website should you care to find out.

No offence, but I hate the term no offence. it always precedes or follow something which will cause offence. I am not stupid, and I have read the site and the books. and I still don't understand why a Muller light flavoured yogurt should be any different to another brand of fat free flavoured yogurt, but according to their site it is. the difference is (int this case) possibly corporate sponsorship.

I will still not syn my occasional jelly. I have one once a week. this wont break the syn bank. it's not like I'm living on the things.

My question is why is Olive Oil a HexB if it's all about fiber? And how a cereal bar is healthier than a small amount of avocado....but I know that argument's been done before in other places :)

Hey guys,

thanks for the responses, I think I understand about the cereal being based on fibre, not sugar or fat.

Flibsey, thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one who is a little bit perplexed by food that contain air and red dye having a syn value lol. I will syn it, but I'm not happy about it. :p

I was thinking earlier when I was making a mug shot. one mug shot packet (less than 1%fat - the free ones) are like 280 calories each!! Thats more than an average small bar of chocolate. I just feel uncomfortable with being able to eat 2 of those for free and rack up over 500 calories and yet my choccy blows all my syns for the day. Those pasta packets - white pasta, refined carbs - treated as sugar by the body.

I get why you can eat lots of 'free foods'. Free foods tend to also be low GI, so the insulin effect in the body is greatly slowed down and so obviously, less calories are stored at fat. But I always thought white pasta = hi GI = shouldnt be free food. If you're eating loads of white pasta its no different from eating some sugar.

Rant over! I don't know - I wish I was a fly on the wall in the 'free food' room to be able to hear what they say lol

thanks guys
xx

I do sometimes have moments of incredulity with this extraordinary diet BUT it works. I am now getting rid of my fifth stone of fat. I follow the rules most of the time, am never hungry and feel like my body is melting fat. I don't care how just bless the day my friend dragged me along to SW.

I do sometimes have moments of incredulity with this extraordinary diet BUT it works. I am now getting rid of my fifth stone of fat. I follow the rules most of the time, am never hungry and feel like my body is melting fat. I don't care how just bless the day my friend dragged me along to SW.

Totally agree, even though some stuff seems odd, it works :)

Yeah, but if you tell anyone to consume no more than 300 calories (15 syns) of 'processed, high sugar, high fat' (the junky syn stuff basically we add into meals or eat as snacks) and eat more natural unprocessed food with minimal processed starchy carbs (bread and cereal) they would lose weight by the sheer difference in consumption of food/calories from their previous lifestyle. Its not rocket science.

I lost 5 stone through reducing my calories to 1800 a day and that was by eating whatever I liked (chocolate, takeaway you name it), as long as I didn't go over 1800 I lost weight every week. Just proves that your body will process calories as calories, no matter what the food is.

SW is a positive force though, because its getting you to choose your calories from unprocessed and natural food. That's going to make me healthier, but I'm not going to buy into any sort of 'magic food optimising' trickery. As an ex cal counter, maybe I've just become brainwashed lol - but kcals are kcals, no matter where they come from. If I overeat I will put on weight - even if its pasta or potatoes. SW just rely on people overall having a reduced calorie intake (from limiting high calorie and hi GI food people would have been consuming too much of to be overweight in the first place, through their syns process) and hoping the bulky high calorie free food they are allowed to eat, filling people up and so hopefully, preventing them from overeating on it and consuming extra calories.

I could put it to the test and grossly overeat on free food all week and see if I still lose weight! If food optimising is real I will lose weight. If calories are what it all comes down to - I will put on weight. Hmm.....interesting!

I could put it to the test and grossly overeat on free food all week and see if I still lose weight! If food optimising is real I will lose weight. If calories are what it all comes down to - I will put on weight. Hmm.....interesting!

Ahhh, but you'd be missing on the "eat until satisfied, not stuffed" part of the plan :)

The way I look at it is some calories no matter how low are empty calories. No nutrient value so these are syns. Muller yogurt contains calcium (milk) and fruit so has nutrients so these can be free as they are of some value to the body.
Any pasta is carbohydrate although they prefer you to have wholewheat for the fibre.
That's my outlook to the arguement anyway.
Whatever you choose, good luck with it.

Back