Taster evenings!

yummymummy1985

Monday is my weigh in day and this week was very happy with the loss, 2lb :) we also had our taster evening which I thought went quite well until after we had eaten. My consultant went round asking who made what & from what I thought u was meant to make a sw dish, someone had brought in a rather tasty carrot cake and was extremely morish! The problem was is that is wasn't a slimming world recipe and after looking at the recipe and Woking out syns it worked out to a whopping 10syns per serving! (which the creator didnt know) I felt devastated that my new week had been blown away by this one slice! Just goes to show just because it's a LOW FAT recipe it doesn't mean it's sw friendly!

Blimey I would have been upset too! In our class we only bring in slimming world recipes, we have quite a few taster nights and I like them because they give me ideas although only rejoined this week but looking forward to the next one!

Good luck on your weight loss journey and congrats for your weight loss this week! xx Boo xx

At our taster evenings the dishes are labelled with the syn value, if any, and people provide a copy of the recipe (useful to check in case there is something in there that you don't like).

Your whole week has not been ruined by just 10 syns. Like the posters say "Keep Calm and Carry On"!

One evening doesn't ruin a whole week. Stick with the plan and you'll do fine!

My old consultant used to go round and ask about all the foods before everyone tucked in, which was great as everyone knew what everything was, and how many syns everything had. My new consultant doesnt though, so nobody really knew what stuff was- people stood for ages trying to work out if my mini-quiches (made in silicone cupcake cases) were cakes or something else (i would've thought the peas gave it away!), so I stood by the table pointing out what all the things on it were!

Well done on your loss too!

lol Our first couple of taster nights had the tables groaning under some splendiferous food. I hardly touched half of it as I could hear folk discussing 'condensed milk', 'sugar', 'flour', 'nuts', 'sultanas', 'baked apple' etc etc lol
Now we are encouraged to scribble down our recipes and syns, so that everyone knows what they're tucking into, and most mebers now have their heads around the SW plan :) And the food is fiiiine - each taster night gets better and better :D

we don't do taster evenings because we are a late group and rather small ( there's about 5 "permanent" members who stay for IT, the occasional few who miss the early group and stay for the late one, and the occasionsional "permanent" member who usually weighs and goes but decides to stop now and again.. )..
since 2 of those 5 are my mom and dad, and the other 2 are a mother and daughter ( young junior member ), there would really only be 3 things brought, and possibly not by me either since I litterally get back from work, wash and change then go straight out to group which gives me no time to cook anything or I'd have to take something cold or slow cooker friendly..

Yeah low fat doesnt = SW friendly. my mate likes baking and made some muffins this week, she was trying to be good for me and made them from a 'low fat' recipe, but when i worked out the syns they were still 10 syns each!!

Low fat cakes often have lots of sugar and flour still which = high syns

We got a taster coming up soon what kinds of things can i do as was thinking something veggie and interesting(as i'm the only veggie in the group), can do something hot as theres a fullyfunctional kitchen where the meetings held..

Op you must of been gutted. But yes its one moment out of a week but still clear labling of syns would be good :D

we don't do taster evenings because we are a late group and rather small ( there's about 5 "permanent" members who stay for IT, the occasional few who miss the early group and stay for the late one, and the occasionsional "permanent" member who usually weighs and goes but decides to stop now and again.. )..
since 2 of those 5 are my mom and dad, and the other 2 are a mother and daughter ( young junior member ), there would really only be 3 things brought, and possibly not by me either since I litterally get back from work, wash and change then go straight out to group which gives me no time to cook anything or I'd have to take something cold or slow cooker friendly..

that sounds like a lovely group to belong to... a complete contrast to a group with 50+ in the middle of a town where I dont know anyone :cry:

I'm not keen on the idea of taster nights - being veggie I tend to dissect buffet items to make sure they dont have meat or fish in them and I am really really fussy about keeping spoons, spatulas etc which have touched meat separate from my food and if you're not used to veggies then you dont think about that sort of thing :eek:

Coljack, we often have slow cookers at ours :0) I work full time too, often getting home from 20 miles away at 7, with class at 7.30 but always chuck something together the night before, sometimes warming it up in the on site oven :) I love our taster nights :)
I'm also veggie, and feel bad asking what make of yogurts were used in recipes, and that kind of thing, but I've found that when I do, someone else usually says 'oh great, I was wondering that too!' lol

You're such a dafty, Debbie is too ♥♥♥

lol Dafty! Jane's a veggie though :) Hence my last minute, most impolite DIVE to grab the last slice of the pud she took the last time! hahahaha

Back