Taster night - what do you take?

Joeyanne

We've got a taster night at wi tomorrow and I was wondering what sort of things people take. I need something that I can prepare before work and last all day (and a 2.5 mile walk) as I go straight to wi. I tried making one of the couscous cake recipes from on here to see what it was like but must have done something wrong as it has no taste to it at all. I probably won't take anything tomorrow (won't eat anything there anyway as it will spoil my dinner) but was wondering about taking something in future.

You could take a simple fruit salad - there were loads at the taster night at our group this week and they were really nice :) There were lots of cous cous things, some gorgeous meringues, boiled egg with a curry/mustard paste (yummmm!) etc

i made a chicken pate once with a recipe i got off here, but nobody ate it :( it was gorgeous too - the ungrateful bunch of so and so's!

How about a box of Mikado- 1/2 syn each so you can say even if you are having a bad time and eat the whole box you only go one or 2 over syns as there is about 34 in a box.

At our recent taster night we had quark-white chocolate dip with strawberries, my choc cake (which I was spreading with the quark dip - lovely!), scan bran cake, some ham muffins from the recent mag, polenta 'pizza' with roasted veg on it, pasta quiche...think that was it...I like the Mikado idea though if you aren't up to cooking anything!

Thanks for the replies. They all sound lovely. The mikado ideas sounds tempting though (aren't I lazy :p )- I have a box at home

Egg muffins are easy and can be frozen. Chop up some spring onions, peppers (any colour you have) and some half fat grated cheese. Mix into beaten egg with salt and pepper, pour into muffin cases in a muffin tray and bake in the oven for about 15-20mins till they have set. The only syns will be for the cheese you use and if used as HEA they are free. As I said they can be frozen and heated up in microwave so good to have as a standbye.

no not lazy just practical, most foods wont survive all day at work then a 2 mile walk, you are risking giving other people food poisoning, or turning up with mashed food.

i made a chicken pate once with a recipe i got off here, but nobody ate it :( it was gorgeous too - the ungrateful bunch of so and so's!

How dare they! I bet that was my recipe (well, one I got off another site) too! I've made that before and it always goes down a treat!

My taster is tonight and I've got leftover lemon chilli chicken that I made for dinner Monday (BritMum's recipe - I made double) and I also did some chocolate truffles. There is never any of those left!

I'm taking vegetarian sushi tonight Bit of a faff to make but well worth it x

How funny - my friend in group is doing the same! I can't wait to try it!

I couldn't bring myself to try sushi, it's the crunch when you bite into the fish that puts me off. It always looks so beautifull though, just wish I was braver.

I couldn't bring myself to try sushi, it's the crunch when you bite into the fish that puts me off. It always looks so beautifull though, just wish I was braver.
Mine is completely vegetarian i.e the middle is peppers and cucumber. No fish to be seen. Marks and spencers do a non fish one too

SCAN BRANS well if they don't get tasted you can always use them as coasters !!! LOL ! anyway they are a great talking point...

Phil x

We had a taster night tonight and I made the lentil dahl off the website... I embellished it slightly, added cubed carrots and sweet potato, but it was delish... and I made pilau rice to go with it. But you could just bring a curry. I only brought rice cos I'm like that... I made that in about an hour & a half from start to finish, when I got home from work this afternoon and brought it to class still warm.

I made the cheesy pasta potato bake from here which was fabby. It takes about 30 mins to cook so I got up early and made it before work then put it in the fridge at home and warmed it up in the microwave before going to group. It was delish - group had half and I had the other half with beans for dinner.

stacey you mention chocolate truffles.did you make them?? if so can i steal a recipe.

Here you go! I didn't even get a look in tonight! Shall have to make some more! :sigh:

Adapted from the Cook Yourself Thin recipe. Absolutely divine!!!!! :eat:

CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES

Total syns: 57.5
Makes approx 19 truffles = 3 syns/truffle
(can make truffles bigger or smaller to suit)

200g good quality chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
6 tbsp strong black coffee (such as espresso)
2 tbsp clear honey
2 tsp Splenda, or to taste (optional)
1 tbsp cocoa powder, to dust

1) Melt chocolate in a large bowl over simmering water or alternatively microwave until melted.

2) Gently pour in the coffee and slowly mix it into the chocolate until the consistency thickens. The texture of the chocolate will start to seize and thicken almost instantly.

3) Add the honey a tablespoon at a time and slowly mix it in until you get a highly glossy chocolate mixture. This should only take a couple of minutes. Taste and
add Splenda if desired.

4) Chill the bowl in the fridge for an hour or until the truffle mixture is nearly solid.

5) Sieve the cocoa powder onto a plate. Scrape a teaspoonful of the mixture into the palm of your hand and roll into a marble-sized ball, then roll through
the cocoa powder until fully coated and pop into an airtight container. Repeat the process until all the mixture is used up and store in the fridge. Dust with additional Splenda if desired.

Back