Tefal Actifry

BeckyT

Always trying!
Well I've invested in a Tefal Actifry yesterday after hearing good reviews from a couple of people in my group. I have a couple of questions that I hoped somebody might be able to help me with...

1. Am i right in assuming that I pour in frylight spray oil?

2. What sort of things can you recommend to cook in it other than SW chips?

Any help/suggestions you can give me will be most welcomed! :eek:

Hi,
If you put Actifry in the search bar in off topic, there are loads of posts there.
They should help :)

Hi,
If you put Actifry in the search bar in off topic, there are loads of posts there.
They should help :)

Thanks - I have already tried that and i can see all the threads however it wont allow me to click on the hyperlinks

Don't have an actifry hun but I don't think frylight is free if you pour it :/

Don't have an actifry hun but I don't think frylight is free if you pour it :/

Hmmm that's what I thought which is why I wanted to check what others do! :sigh:

Still cant click on the links arrgggggggh! :wave_cry:

I'm sure I can work recepies out myself however if anybody can confirm what to do re the oil situation I would be really, really greatful :cry:

Hi Becky,

I tend to use a synned amount of real oil as I'm not a fan of frylight. However, I have used frylight in it, just a few sprays the same as oven SW chips, and the results have been fine.

The instructions will tell you to dry the chips before adding to actifry but if doing a portion for 1 or 2 this doesn't seem to matter so much - but if you're trying to fill it then not drying first will really slow down the cooking time.

As for what I cook in mine - usually potatoes - chips, roasties, wedges etc. For roasties I tend to micro for a few mins first to speed up the process but is not essential! You can add the spuds plain or season beforehand (shaking in a bag most effective method!)

Also roast parsnips, roasted veggies like chunks of pepper, BNS, onion etc, with a little oil / frylight

Sausages, chunks of marinaded chicken, chicken portions, without any oil- all come out lovely!

It also does the most gorgeous scampi (no oil required, remove the paddle from the middle though or you'll have bald messy scampi!!)

Have fun with it and experiment, I don't think we've had any disasters yet!

Hi Becky,

I tend to use a synned amount of real oil as I'm not a fan of frylight. However, I have used frylight in it, just a few sprays the same as oven SW chips, and the results have been fine.

The instructions will tell you to dry the chips before adding to actifry but if doing a portion for 1 or 2 this doesn't seem to matter so much - but if you're trying to fill it then not drying first will really slow down the cooking time.

As for what I cook in mine - usually potatoes - chips, roasties, wedges etc. For roasties I tend to micro for a few mins first to speed up the process but is not essential! You can add the spuds plain or season beforehand (shaking in a bag most effective method!)

Also roast parsnips, roasted veggies like chunks of pepper, BNS, onion etc, with a little oil / frylight

Sausages, chunks of marinaded chicken, chicken portions, without any oil- all come out lovely!

It also does the most gorgeous scampi (no oil required, remove the paddle from the middle though or you'll have bald messy scampi!!)

Have fun with it and experiment, I don't think we've had any disasters yet!

Hi Cherry-pie

Thank you sooooooo much for coming back to me, i really appreaciate your help and advice! SW chips for tea it is! :D

My favourite kitchen gadget and weight-loss saviour!

Always use Maris Piper potatoes.

Always wash potatoes thoroughly to remove all starch.

Always dry potatoes/chips carefully and thoroughly.

Always try and keep chips/potatoes the same size - a potato chipper is ideal.

Alwas use extra virgin olive oil as an extra healthy b - much better than frylight - or syn ordinary oil as a good second.

Quarter potatoes instead of chips for superb roasties.

Try bacon without the paddle (remove the fat) add sausage in same pan, (not had bottle to fry egg in there yet)

Remember frozen chips, nuggets, scampi, fish fingers etc. all cook in there without the paddle but more importantly without ANY ADDED OIL.

Compare these chips to SW chips in the oven with the parboiling, spraying, turning and shaking - then compare the taste.

Try mixing chips with spoonful of oil in a plastic bag adding paprika so the fries are coated in oil and paprika then out in actifry and cook as normal for flavoured friesl

enjoy!

Hi, I have an actifry and love it but did not know you could cook without the paddle, does make sense with some food, thanks.

Yep - certainly with the more delicate foods, scallops, scampi, prawns, even fish pieces, chicken pieces etc.

It prevents them becoming "mashed" lol.

You can always flip them over manually as they are not being turned without the paddle.

Hi,

I did chips in my actifry last night and they were far nicer than the syn-free ones I did from the SW website. I used maris piper potatoes and have always found the best way to dry them thoroughly is to put them in the actifry for 2 mins without oil initially. This dries them beautifully before spraying with Frylight. I sprayed again halfway through cooking and they came out perfect, crispy and golden brown.

I don't parboil btw when using the actifry, it just makes a mess, and I cooked them for 40 mins in total.

I hope this helps

Lil (newbie)

Back