TEFEL COURSEES

Petal01

Still Climbing That Hill!
Don't really know which forum to put this in so sorry if i have posted in wrong one.

i wondered if anyone has gone through one of these courses? I was thinking of doing one but almost £500 is a lot of money to spend, any information would be gratefully received.

Thanks

What is it?

Hi RD

It's teaching english abroad or at home to foreign people who have moved here and don't speak the lanuage i have just found out i can get £200 towards costs which is great.

Teaching English as a Foreign Language

:)

I thought it might be .... also known as TESOL (or was formerly known as that). I might be doing it in June, finances permitting.

I think it's about £700 to do it at my Uni but it might be a really useful addition to the degree I'm doing.

I did a TEFL a few years back. I thoroughly enjoyed it but it was pretty full on - are you planning on studying full time or part time? You need to devote a lot of time to reading and lesson preparation in addition to attending lectures and actual teaching.

Do you have any teaching experience? I found the worst bit was standing up in front of a bunch of students all waiting for me to start talking as had no experience at all. Have to say I ended up enjoying it so much I am now about to change careers and go into full time pimary school teaching.

Also, what is your reason for taking the TEFL? Do you want to go abroad and teach or stay in UK and teach overseas students?

It's quite a lot of money to spend, but a great gateway into teaching and helping people which I find very rewarding.

Feel free to ask me any questions - through the forum or PM.

The Minx

Hi Minx

Thanks for that post at first i didn't know you had to stand up and do a 15min talk at the end of the course i only found that out today and to be honest it has scared me a little it's one thing teaching strangers but to do that infront of your fellow students i just don't know if i could.

I have no teaching experiance but i have worked abroad before about 7 years ago and that's when i initially heard about these courses but havn't really done anything about it till now, a lack of confidence i think has limited me now to what i do.

Im 39 and think if i don't do what i really want to do now and keep putting it off i will never do it.

The course i am looking at is 100 hours 2 day's in class over the weekend and 80 hours study online it costs £500 and i will get £200 towards costs and i am guarnteed a placement at the end of the course.

TBH on learning that i have to do a talk to everyont at the end has startled me a little but in sying that it is something i would really love to do and if i don't give it a go i will never know if i am up to it.

Im 39 and think if i don't do what i really want to do now and keep putting it off i will never do it.

if i don't give it a go i will never know if i am up to it.

The Latin Motto under my name (Carpe Diem) means 'Seize the day' and it's something I try to follow.

In 2005 at the age of 43 and having been a career mum for 27 years, I went to college full time, took 4 A levels and 2 GCSEs, passed with flying colours and am now in my 2nd year at University.

In life, we often regret the things we DIDN'T do more than the things we did. If you feel in your heart you'd like to do the course, then 'Carpe Diem'!!

Hi Russiandoll

I used to be like that i would Carpe Diem and go for it but now being a good 5 stone heavier than i was when i last worked abroad im a a bit more on the ohhh i'll put it for now side and i hate that i would much rather be how i used to be.

You have done fab with your exams and now at Uni WOW that is something to aspire to bet your family are really proud of you as im sure you are of yourself.

Don't put it off 'until ...'

I was almost 20st when I started college; I was very anxious because I thought I'd be the oldest & fattest person there. Well, I wasn't the oldest and although I WAS one of the fattest, nobody cared a jot ... I made some wonderful friends.

I was horrified when I learned I'd have to do presentations in most of my subjects - the thought of standing up there in all my 19st+ glory made me feel physically sick. But I did each and every one and it wasn't nearly as bad as I had feared - and now I quite enjoy doing presentations ... in fact I tend to get my best grades for them.

Try not to think too far ahead of yourself - take each situation as it presents itself and you'll find you just deal with it. And the feeling of achievement when you do is amazing!

Hi Ladies

I totally agree with Russian Doll - Carpe Diem. I did my TEFL with exactly that thought in mind. I trained, left my nice secure job, and spent a year in Greece - my sole criteria when job hunting was - good weather and hot looking men! (I was 33 at the time - and single obviously!).

When I got back I found myself sliding back into a rut and took the plunge into full time education to get my PGCE to become a primary school teacher - will start full time in September this year - aged 41!

It's so empowering to challenge yourself mentally - pushing the boundaries is really, really scary sometimes - but wow do you feel great when you get through to the other side - and you want that feeling again!

Getting back to the TEFL - I did a classroom based course - no online study (not sure I would personally enjoy that) - can't remember how many hours, but we did teach actual lessons on a regular basis - assessed by peers and tutor. I guess you get the teaching experience in the placement you mention at the end. The organisation I studied at had good international links and advertised a lot of vacancies but it was up to us to find a job at the end of the day.

You said you do a 15 min talk at the end of the classroom based 2 days. It may feel daunting beforehand but I bet by the time you have spent 2 days studying you will know your fellow students well enough to be relaxed enough to find them non-threatening and actively encouraging you to do well.

Oops sorry, have been rabbiting on - I get very excited at the mention of TEFLs and education in general!

I completed a Cambridge CELTA (Certificate for English Language Teaching to Adults) last June. Basically the same as TESOL, TEFL etc etc. I did it part time over 6 months. It was full on, and I can only imagine how it must take over your life if you do it full time. We taught every week, real students, always observed (by our tutors and fellow students) and assessed. It was stressful, esp at the beginning, but very rewarding :D when a lesson went well. The biggest element, in terms of time committment, was lesson preparation. I could easily spend 5 hours preparing for a 30 min teaching slot. My fellow students found it the same. There were also several written assignments due over the duration of the course which counted towards the final mark.

It was interesting, challenging, rewarding and sometimes scary :eek:. I would say go for it, but be aware that it is not a walk in the park, it is hard work. Out of a class of 9 to start with, 6 completed (and all passed I think?!). Three withdrew, one due to family bereavement, the other 2 because of the pressure.

Of course, doing it online might make it quite a different experience.
SM

Back