The 100k step challenge!

welcome onboard mel :)

hey guys, this challenge sounds good to me, i was diagnosed with arthritis in my knee today so cant go too full on with exercise, but walking has been given the ok. just wondering, what pedometers do you have?

ive got a cheapy little one but am worried about how accurate it is, and from what i remember when i tried to use it before, it randomly turned itself off whilst inside my pocket.

i know there are websites that can estimate your steps by inputting your height and how far you walked, have any of you tried anything like this?

hi Sammy and welcome :)

i use the old weightwatchers pedometer which seems pretty accurate but my friend was given a cheapy from the health centre. They said to put it on her shoe/trainer as it's more accurate, not sure how correct that is.

i used to love running but doctor stopped that when i got arthritis in my knees and spine so this is a great challenge for me too.

walked quite a bit yesterday but it was nice because it was just for me. it was great being on my own and looking in a shop when i felt like it :D

it's my daughters birthday next week and i'd promised to go clothes shopping with her, there goes my rest day.
getting sick of town this week lol

thursday - 14372
after first week, total so far - 87250

really chuffed with that, but won't be so good next week lol

thankyou for the welcome rosie lee :)

i never thought about putting the pedometer on my shoe, sounds like a good idea. im going out for a 3 mile walk in a while so will give it a go

sorry to hear about your arthritis, how long have you had it for? hope u dont mind me asking

no not at all :)
about 4 years i think, it's been a while.
i got it about 6 weeks after i fell off my bike, that was in one knee and the other followed about 6 months later. not sure when it started in my spine but i know it was before my knees.

i take glucosamine which does seem to help but you have to keep taking it,usually starts working a few weeks after you start it.
you've just been diagnosed haven't you, might be worth a try to see if it helps you.
all of my shoes have cushioning but it's hard to get nice winter shoes that don't look like old ladies. so i just wear boots,trainers and my walking boots.

dreading winter as it's always worst then :(

Welcome Sammy and Mel! Nice to see new faces :)

My pedometer is a cheap credit card sized one from ebay that I just keep in my back pocket. I was unsure about how accurate it was, but I did a couple of tests and it came out pretty much spot on so I think it's good :) It's supposed to be a body fat analyser too but can't get that bit to work lol, never mind though, only wanted the pedometer.

Friday - 11,695
Total so far: 85,411

Not too far away from 100k now, only need to do 15,000 this weekend. Not hit 4,000 today yet though, but I will be doing a lot of housework tomorrow so hopefully I will hit my 14 day target :)

ive not been prescribed anything, just told to take paracetamol if it starts to hurt too much. what does glucosamine do? is it a pain killer, anti-inflammatory etc sorry im a real dunce about this lol yes i was diagnosed officially yesterday but its been obvious for a while now that something hasnt been right. its because i had surgery on my knee 13 years ago and they ended up removing all of my cartilage, but over the past few months its become really painful and sore, and the sound of my bones rubbing against each other is actually audible sometimes, i can hear my knee making a clicking noise :(

youre right about cold weather, such a cliche but its true

i have to have cushioning in my shoes too, shock absorbers, not sure how much difference they make though!

do you mind me asking how old you are? my doctor told me my knee is going to be considered a "special case" since im 24 years old whereas most people in my situation are in their 50's-60's

well done on all the steps leigh, i did about 6200 today and walked 2.6 miles, ive got to admit i do feel better for actually getting out and actually doing it, but i thought i might actually die a few times on some of the hills lol :D

wow i said "actually" a whole lot in that last sentence lol

well done leigh :)

glucosamine is just a supplement hun, some people say it works some not but i do notice a difference when i don't take it.
if you've a home bargains or b&m near you it's £2.99 for 3 months supply.

i take paracetamol if it's not too bad but doc has prescribed me ibuprofen but this effects my stomach and so i have to take another tablet to combat that.

that sound you're on about brought back memories. i kept hearing creaky floorboards when i was walking upstairs, so i asked my husband to have a look and he said he couldn't hear anything. so i went up again and realised the noise was coming from my knee! i must admit i did think it strange that all the floorboards were creaking lol

you are young for arthritis you poor thing, i started with it in my late 30's.
ibuprofen does help but with some people it causes stomach problems, you may be ok with it.

i also use tiger balm sometimes, you can get it in little tubs from a pound shop it's a cooling rub.

£2.99 for 3 months, sounds like a bargain. I'll definitely look out for it, worst case scenario if it doesnt work for me it hasnt broken the bank :) ibuprofen, ive had it a few times, but got to the stage where i was taking them throughout the day pretty much every day, and I desperately dont want to end up reliant on pills, though it doesnt look like Im going to have much choice

creaky floorboards lol yes it is a bizarre thing to hear and know its coming from your body, my knee does a combination of creaking and snapping/clicking noises, I've lost count of how many times I've frozen still in my tracks and said "did you hear THAT?!" to my boyfriend lol

I've never tried any rubs but will look around for some, does deep heat stuff work for you?

At the mo the only things I use are sports bandages which I use when I'm at work or on my feet a lot to try to support my knee, but again I dont want to become reliant on them

Need to try to strengthen my knee a lot, apparantly theres no damage to my muscles or ligaments - yet! - but the stronger my knee is, the better my chances will be when i HAVE to have a knee replacement in 10 years or so. oh the joys!

This is a great challenge... im well behind but i think ill use this as inspiration to walk more this week coming!!

hi nemesis :)
you can start anytime hun, it's an ongoing thing, if fact i'm hoping to get my 100k today and restart on monday :)

sammy - know what you mean about not wanting to get reliant on pills ,i feel the same.

they make some horrific noises don't they and sometimes them cracks really hurt :cry:

not tried the heat rubs, i read somewhere it makes the inflamation worse so been afraid to try them, but for all i know they could be great, i use the cool ones.

i've been strengthening mine for a while now, those elastic band things (sorry for the terrible description lol) are good, i also have ankle weights and do leg lifts front and back. hopefully they will get that injection perfected so you don't need a replacement , that's what i'm hoping for too.

well a good day yesterday walking around town with daughter and i'm out again today but only a relaxing one today. should make my 100k though :party0011:

saturday - 10043
total so far - 97293

Hey guys,

Sorry to be antisocial but only got time for a quick post!

Saturday - 3,846
Total so far: 89,257

Quite a lazy day yesterday, but lots to do today. Not sure I will make my 100k but I'm sure if I don't do it today I will tomorrow, meaning I will have done 100k in 15 days :)

Well done Rosie Lee! You've done it in what, 9 days?!

well done leigh ,nearly there :)

just checked my ped and i've done it :D
it says 8677 so i'll take it, i won't be doing much more walking today.

i've done it in 10 days but i've set the bar way too high, as i very much doubt i'll be beating that any time soon.
it wasn't reflective of a normal week for me, so i'm just going to try and do it in two weeks next time.

so total - 105970 :banana dancer:

Well done on reaching 100k!!!!

Think ill start tonight (im nightshift so my days are all to pot) and see how long it takes me! Great inspiration to start moving more :)

Hello i hope you dont mind me joining in with this walking challenge...:eek:

I was diagnosed with Active Inflammatary Rheumatoid Arthritis 2 yrs ago this month..i have a very active job which involves alot of walking about and i generally do more than 10,000 steps a day..i will dig out my pedometer (its collecting dust at the mo)tbh the more active i am the better it is for my condition!!i know hard to believe isnt it :eek: once i sit down and relax its hard to get going again!...i look forward to recording my steps :)

not tried the heat rubs, i read somewhere it makes the inflamation worse so been afraid to try them, but for all i know they could be great, i use the cool ones.

ohhhh dear, i think i'll avoid those then!

yes the injections, anything's preferable to a replacement!

Curlz - sorry to hear about your arthritis :(

So impressed to see all the steps youve all been doing!

I did 6,200 (ish) yesterday and about 12,000 today as i had work, totaling 18,200 in two days :)

welcome curlz :)

thanks nemesis, good luck for tonight. :)

thanks sammy and well done , that's brill :)

thanks leigh, did you do it? :)

Back