The 5:2 Diet - My Feasting and Fasting Diary!

Welcome back lovely xxx

As I've said many times we are like dieting twins and this time we are dieting holiday buddies too. 174 days until my wedding and 176 days until we go on honeymoon.

If you fancy a little slimathon to help us along just let me know. You can do this darl and you know as well as anyone you can have amazing loses so I have faith you will pull it back xxx

Thank you everyone. I can't believe how much time I have wasted just messing around. I'd lost over 4st at one point, and now I've not even lost 2st in total! It is so frustrating and upsetting. I don't want to be this fat or carry on getting fatter, but I also don't want to diet. I know I have to though. I just need to get my head back in the zone and keep it there.

So far, so good (touch wood!). I have just had my mango for breakfast, which was a refreshing change from milky coffee and lots of biscuits / a huge scone with loads of butter. Trying to take each meal as it comes and try to highlight the positives in each day, rather than thinking negative thoughts xx

Would it maybe help if you did both of your fasts during the week so that you don't have to worry about it encroaching on your weekend with Warren? xx

That's exactly what I have been doing since restarting in Febraury - my Fast days have been Tuesday and Thursday. I think that I'm going to go back to fasting Thursday and Sunday though, as I feel I need quite the opposite of what you're suggesting, and a bit more control and structure on a weekend. It worked for me the first time around (before Christmas), so I'm going to go back to it! Sometimes I also feel the Tuesday and Thursday Fasts are too near to each other, with only one day in between. So maybe that's hindering me too and making me feel a bit deprived? Even though that sounds a bit daft as I then have Friday to Wednesday to eat what I want. I don't know to be honest. We shall see how it goes going back to Thursday and Sunday xx

Would you consider following the SW plan for 5 days a week and then fasting for 2? That's what I did last year getting to target and it really boosted my losses. I got the best of both worlds and the structure really helped me.

I know you like the flexibility of 5:2 and being able to use your calories for whatever you like on the 5 TDEE days, but maybe a little bit more structure and the group support would help you stay on track.

I'm not sure if you saw the Horizon documentary on BBC in January but it looked at the eating habits of people and they fell into 3 categories; constant cravers, feasters and emotional eaters. Using research and looking at the psychology behind it all, they concluded that different diet plans worked for each of the different categories. 5:2 or intermittent fasting worked well for constant cravers but actually group support helped the emotional eaters, like IMAGE therapy in SW. You can do the test online to see which one you are and see what they advise for helping weight loss. It was tried and tested and all of the participants lost weight and were continuing to lose it after the programme ended!

Would you consider following the SW plan for 5 days a week and then fasting for 2? That's what I did last year getting to target and it really boosted my losses. I got the best of both worlds and the structure really helped me.

I know you like the flexibility of 5:2 and being able to use your calories for whatever you like on the 5 TDEE days, but maybe a little bit more structure and the group support would help you stay on track.

I'm not sure if you saw the Horizon documentary on BBC in January but it looked at the eating habits of people and they fell into 3 categories; constant cravers, feasters and emotional eaters. Using research and looking at the psychology behind it all, they concluded that different diet plans worked for each of the different categories. 5:2 or intermittent fasting worked well for constant cravers but actually group support helped the emotional eaters, like IMAGE therapy in SW. You can do the test online to see which one you are and see what they advise for helping weight loss. It was tried and tested and all of the participants lost weight and were continuing to lose it after the programme ended!

Totally understand what you're saying about group, but for me that is partly the reason I left SW. I felt that my group went drastically dowhill, and even when I tried other groups I never felt as though I received much (if any) support. I mean, one particular group I joined, I was never even acknowledged by the consultant in a month of being there! Granted, I joined when she was on holiday. But when she returned she never made any attempt to acknowledge me as a new member or ask how I was getting on. She only text me about 3-4 months after I'd left group, when perhaps she realised her profits were dwindling and she needed to get back some members. It made me laught, considering she'd never spoken to me and probably wouldn't have even known me from Adam. I really lost all faith in SW from that point.

I also just find it too restrictive for me. After three / four years I needed a change. Okay, I haven't managed to stick to 5:2 religiously either. But it is something that I enjoy, like I once used to enjoy SW. I do still eat / make SW friendly food though. Today, for example, I'm having fruit for breakfast and will be having what would be a Syn Free homemade risotto for tea. But it'll be nice to grab a pre-packed sandwich or salad, etc. for convenience at lunch.

I didn't watch the programme you mentioned, but the problem that jumped out to me the minute I read it is that I could easily fit into any of those three categories. Yes, I am an emotional eater. But I do also crave things constantly. And by "feasters" I'm guessing they mean those who binge eat? Well, that's also me I'm afraid!

I do love 5:2 and it does work extremely well for me. I proved that before Christmas, and also throughout February, until I happened to have a crappy week (in general) last week, and also the week before. I think I'll stick with it a little longer!

I was 52% contstant craver, 33% feaster and 15% emotional eater.

Interesting what it says about fasting - 600-800 cals a day on 2 consecutive days. I definitely couldn't do two days in a row!! xx

Really hope switching back days helps you Stevie! I think 52 sounds great but I think you (one, not you!!) have to really commit to it. Just keep thinking to yourself if you really want something you'll just have it tomorrow and really enjoy it then! Although I know I know that can be easier said than done. Sometimes I feel like an alien has invaded my body and 4 rice krispie squares later I'm just like... how. I took the quiz too! 38% emotional, 32% crave and 30% feaster!

Thanks as always everyone for your comments and words of support and advice. I am amazed that anyone is even interested anymore, as I'm even boring myself these days, so it is quite comforting.

Just took the test, and apparently I am 48% Emotional, 29% Craver, 23% Feaster. Interesting!

I think if anything you can acknowledge where you've gone wrong over the past few months, and look at what has been in your path and thrown you off?

For me personally, I used to be a massive comfort eater. Hence why I took up running... It distracted my mind more, and when I felt low and down it gave me a boost, and the fresh air and time on my own made me realise all was not that bad.

Another problem I had was using food to celebrate everything. We now go on days out, or unfortunately for my purse when I acheive something, I buy something nice, like a candle, or shoes, or a bag.

I'm also a massive binge eater, I don't know when I'm full. So, I stopped buying things in the house, and I made sure to leave my money in the bank, no change for buying extra bits and bobs in the shop, and I looked into healthier ways of eating.

If I was going into boots for a meal deal, I wouldn't want the grapes, I'd want the chocolate bar or crisps, and then once I've had that bit, I want more, and same with the sandwiches, I could easily eat 2 sandwiches, even now!! So I tried to put a stop to that, made my lunches the night before and took things to work with me, stopped myself giving in to temptation if the temptation wasn't there.

Just a few ideas. Sorry if i've gone on a bit there lol it's lovely having you back, and you don't need to be sorry to anyone, you're doing this for you, and thats the main thing you have to remember. No one else is worried about what the scales say, they just want to see you with a big smile on your face and feeling good. xxx

I think if anything you can acknowledge where you've gone wrong over the past few months, and look at what has been in your path and thrown you off?

For me personally, I used to be a massive comfort eater. Hence why I took up running... It distracted my mind more, and when I felt low and down it gave me a boost, and the fresh air and time on my own made me realise all was not that bad.

Another problem I had was using food to celebrate everything. We now go on days out, or unfortunately for my purse when I acheive something, I buy something nice, like a candle, or shoes, or a bag.

I'm also a massive binge eater, I don't know when I'm full. So, I stopped buying things in the house, and I made sure to leave my money in the bank, no change for buying extra bits and bobs in the shop, and I looked into healthier ways of eating.

If I was going into boots for a meal deal, I wouldn't want the grapes, I'd want the chocolate bar or crisps, and then once I've had that bit, I want more, and same with the sandwiches, I could easily eat 2 sandwiches, even now!! So I tried to put a stop to that, made my lunches the night before and took things to work with me, stopped myself giving in to temptation if the temptation wasn't there.

Just a few ideas. Sorry if i've gone on a bit there lol it's lovely having you back, and you don't need to be sorry to anyone, you're doing this for you, and thats the main thing you have to remember. No one else is worried about what the scales say, they just want to see you with a big smile on your face and feeling good. xxx

Awww, what a lovely post!! Thanks Jennie.

I really wish I knew what it was that prompted me to fall (or, rather, dive head first) off the wagon. And also what still seems to be hindering me in getting back on it, as it's really frustrating. But whatever it is I can't keep making excuses for it. There's only me who puts the food into my mouth, and there's also only me that can do anything about this.

I know what you mean about lunches and stuff, but I think for me they are partly what keeps me going. I can't stand leftovers, I never have liked them. Even on SW it was very rare that I'd take in leftovers from the night before. I know some people love 'em, but they just don't do it at all for me. Same for making stuff the night before, it's not really much different to leftovers lol. I'm just fussy like that, I don't know why!? Sometimes I will make some little SW style quiches or a homemade sandwich or something, but I think that one of the main reasons I like 5:2 is the fact that I can just go out and grab a sandwich and a packet of crisps. It's hard to explain, but that feels like my "treat" for the day. I try to have fruit or porridge for breakfast and then, where possible, a SW friendly meal for tea. But the thought of whatever I want for lunch usually keeps me going and also means that I can pick something on the spot, rather than having to plan everything with military precision. I like that element of freedom.

I have to admit, I am pretty bad for "rewarding" myself or celebrating with food. Eating nice food at a nice restaurant or even a nice takeout at home is one of my favourite ways to enjoy myself (does that sound sad, or what!?), but maybe I'll look into treating myself in non-food ways instead. I mean, when we do eat out or have a takeout I usually make sensible choices such as Nando's, Chinese, etc. This week was just a total washout! Anyway, the idea of non-food rewards sounds good. Although I'd struggle as to what to buy. I tend to just buy stuff as and when I need / want it. Like this Friday I'm out for a drink for my best friend's birthday, so I'll probably buy myself a new outfit to wear. I already get my nails done monthly. I don't wear makeup unless I am going out and I have loads from Christmas. I tend to buy magazines as and when they take my fancy...I think I am just spoilt by myself lol. Hence why I seem to be acting like a spoilt brat with this dieting malarky, fighting with myself all the way!

Anyway, your post has definitely given me lots to think about. Thank you for taking the time to leave such a thoughtful and helpful comment xxx

Hi glad to see you back :) just thinking about non food rewards, buying something in the size you want to be for your holiday and putting it in your suitcase every week? It may seem like added pressure but sometime we need it to keep us in line. That's what got me to target last year, for my wedding abroad x

Hi glad to see you back :) just thinking about non food rewards, buying something in the size you want to be for your holiday and putting it in your suitcase every week? It may seem like added pressure but sometime we need it to keep us in line. That's what got me to target last year, for my wedding abroad x

It sounds like I am making excuses for everyones suggestions here, but I did that last year (old followers may remember two brightly coloured strappy bikinis I ordered?) and it all went ti*s up. I am just not good with pressure. And then if it got to it, and I didn't fit them, I'd end up beating myself up even more and starting the whole viscious comfort eating circle all over again. I say this because it happened with the bikinis I mentioned. They didn't fit a few weeks before my holidays and I thought "well whats the point". Went off into PAC-MAN mode, ate anything and everything in sight, ballooned in weight and then went on holiday looking and feeling absolutely awful. I think I'm best just trying to really go for it and then buying my clothes last minute. I really don't deal well with pressure, not when it comes to dieting xx

Different things work for different people with motivation just thought I'd throw the idea out there. It just finding what makes you tick and clutching onto it for motivation. X

Hi stevie, i am one who reads but doesn't reply (bad I know) but following you for a while I would say you would benefit from excercise.
You used to walk with your mum and I know you have said before that excercise isn't for you, you would rather see the scales go down but it would work wonders for your mindset

A walk every day will do you good even when you have went off your plan. I think it's all about relaxing your pressure, watch what you eat but getting some excercise would definitely curb the bad feelings you get
I know because even when I eat crap I excercise and it can help massively

Hi stevie, i am one who reads but doesn't reply (bad I know) but following you for a while I would say you would benefit from excercise.
You used to walk with your mum and I know you have said before that excercise isn't for you, you would rather see the scales go down but it would work wonders for your mindset

A walk every day will do you good even when you have went off your plan. I think it's all about relaxing your pressure, watch what you eat but getting some excercise would definitely curb the bad feelings you get
I know because even when I eat crap I excercise and it can help massively

Hello lovely, thank you for commenting! I briefly read your comment last night but have only just found the time to reply.

I was actually thinking myself about exercise again. Nothing too strenuous, as it does tend to play havoc with my scales (I need to see them moving or for me the whole dieting thing is pointless, just the way my mind works), but I was thinking maybe a few walks throughout the week. Especially now that the weather is starting to pick up a bit. In the winter when it's cold and wet and grey I have no motivation to do anything, but now it's getting a bit warmer and the sun is starting to come out I think I would enjoy it again. I think that in the next few weeks I'll maybe do a walk or two throughout the week, on nights when I don't see Warren, and then also maybe one on a Saturday morning. As you say, it would stand me in good stead in case the eating doesn't go to plan. And I also used to feel really good and energised after a long walk too. So I'm definitely going to give it some more thought! :)

Good morning diary, happy Tuesday!

Pleased to report that my first day back on plan went well yesterday. Enjoyed lots of yummy food, including one of my favourite homemade risottos, and stayed within my calorie allowance. Yay! I have got another yummy day planned today which includes another one of my favourite SW style meals for tea tonight.

As I've already mentioned, I'm switching my Fast days back to Thursday & Sunday from this week onwards. Hence why today (Tuesday) is no longer a Fast day.

This is how today is looking...

Tuesday 10th March 2015
*Feast Day*

Breakfast:

- Can of Monster Zero
- Oats So Simple Caramel Porridge Pot

Mid-Morning Snack:
- Belvita Breakfast Duo Crunch Strawberry & Live Yogurt Biscuits

Lunch:
- Boots Delicious Mango, Noodle and Pumpkin Seed Salad
- Boots Shapers Sweet Chilli Lentil Curls
- Boots Shapers Sparkling Pink Lemonade
- 2 x Tesco Easter Fairy Cakes

Dinner:
- Wholewheat Pasta Bake with Quorn Pieces and Vegetables in a Spicy Tomato Sauce. Topped with Parmesan and served with a slice of Garlic Bread
- Aldi Optifit Active Fat Free Cherry Yogurt

Other:
- Graze "Eleanors Apple Crumble" Punnet
- Special K Dark Chocolate Chewy Delight

Last edited:
Hello lovely, thank you for commenting! I briefly read your comment last night but have only just found the time to reply.

I was actually thinking myself about exercise again. Nothing too strenuous, as it does tend to play havoc with my scales (I need to see them moving or for me the whole dieting thing is pointless, just the way my mind works), but I was thinking maybe a few walks throughout the week. Especially now that the weather is starting to pick up a bit. In the winter when it's cold and wet and grey I have no motivation to do anything, but now it's getting a bit warmer and the sun is starting to come out I think I would enjoy it again. I think that in the next few weeks I'll maybe do a walk or two throughout the week, on nights when I don't see Warren, and then also maybe one on a Saturday morning. As you say, it would stand me in good stead in case the eating doesn't go to plan. And I also used to feel really good and energised after a long walk too. So I'm definitely going to give it some more thought! :)

Morning Stevie. You sound alot more positive this morning.

Just reading your reply to debtin. If you are starting to exercise again, maybe you should not focus on the scales to much. Alot of the time you might stay the same or put on a pound or two. You should focus on how your clothes are fitting. I find focusing on the scales play's havoc with my mind set. I recently went back to the gym. After 4 week's I only lost 1kg(2.2 lbs).But I went down a whole dress size(5 inches from my hips,3 from my tummy,2 from my thigh's).

I don't know if I'm coming accross right with what I'm trying to say.But in short, while exercising don't focus too much on the scales.

Sorry for my ramble.

Morning Stevie. You sound alot more positive this morning.

Just reading your reply to debtin. If you are starting to exercise again, maybe you should not focus on the scales to much. Alot of the time you might stay the same or put on a pound or two. You should focus on how your clothes are fitting. I find focusing on the scales play's havoc with my mind set. I recently went back to the gym. After 4 week's I only lost 1kg(2.2 lbs).But I went down a whole dress size(5 inches from my hips,3 from my tummy,2 from my thigh's).

I don't know if I'm coming accross right with what I'm trying to say.But in short, while exercising don't focus too much on the scales.

Sorry for my ramble.

See, this is the exact reason that I stopped exercising so much. And am quite reluctant to start it again. As I've said, I'm of the mindset that if the scales aren't moving then my dieting and exercising is pointless. I know I should focus more on how my body changes and how my clothes fit, but sadly that's just not the way my mind works. I'm doing this to lose weight - something which is measured by standing on the scales each week. If they don't behave the way I want / expect them to then I tend to become disheartened. I wish I could change this outlook, but I can't. It's just the way my mind works. As I say, still giving some thought to the walks, etc. If I do start exercising again, that's probably all it will be. A few walks here and there. Nothing too strenuous. I don't know. We shall see!

Back