The 5:2 Diet - My Feasting and Fasting Diary!

I know what you mean regarding exercise and scales but the more muscle you build the better your metabolism in the long run. My metabolism is still awful and my maintenance cals are so much less than your average person ( a lot of trial and error ) but at least with my exercise I can eat a bit more. Even although my bmr is low I found when I tried even to maintain on that I was gaining.

I've gave up scales for lent and am using this time to really focus on how I feel. I've really gone for it with extra exercise classes. But I'm in my smaller jeans that I couldn't zip up 3 weeks ago. Scales are only an indication of overall weight. The do not differentiate between fat, water, muscle, bowel contents and hormonal changes. But measurements and clothing doesn't lie.

I understand why you wanna lose weight first but the long term plan to successfully maintain means we need to get used to the scales not moving.

It's all food for thought and on my IG I gained 5lbs doing the insanity beach body challenge over 63 days but the inch loss and pics speak volumes.

Either way I'm glad your back and focused xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com

Morning lovely great to see you back :)
Well done on yesterday we are all here supporting you and that holiday is a good amount of time for you to get stuck into getting ready for it them scales will be back down before you know it Xxx

I know what you mean regarding exercise and scales but the more muscle you build the better your metabolism in the long run. My metabolism is still awful and my maintenance cals are so much less than your average person ( a lot of trial and error ) but at least with my exercise I can eat a bit more. Even although my bmr is low I found when I tried even to maintain on that I was gaining.

I've gave up scales for lent and am using this time to really focus on how I feel. I've really gone for it with extra exercise classes. But I'm in my smaller jeans that I couldn't zip up 3 weeks ago. Scales are only an indication of overall weight. The do not differentiate between fat, water, muscle, bowel contents and hormonal changes. But measurements and clothing doesn't lie.

I understand why you wanna lose weight first but the long term plan to successfully maintain means we need to get used to the scales not moving.

It's all food for thought and on my IG I gained 5lbs doing the insanity beach body challenge over 63 days but the inch loss and pics speak volumes.

Maybe when I get back to where I was most comfortable (10st 10lb), then I can ditch the scales a little and focus on other things - body shape, clothes fitting better, etc. But for now that just doesn't work for me. I can't ever see it working for me if I'm totally honest. As I say, I need to see the scales moving. Especially as I am struggling so much at the moment. It's great that not weighing works for you, but for me the thought of not weighing would just be an excuse to go off plan - "I'm not getting weighed so who cares what I'm eating?" type of mindset. We're all different and, as I say, I wish I could change my way of thinking but that's just me and the way that my mind works sadly xxx

Morning lovely great to see you back :)
Well done on yesterday we are all here supporting you and that holiday is a good amount of time for you to get stuck into getting ready for it them scales will be back down before you know it Xxx

Thanks so much Katie. 177days left to do whatever I can! Trying my best xxx

Hi Stevie - I've read your last few posts and really can relate to what you are saying - I was also an emotional eater and the biggest challenge I had was changing my way of thinking and how I dealt with my emotions as I knew that was a trigger for my eating rubbish and often secretly!

I did things like buying smaller clothes to help motivate myself and that didnt work for me either - I have a paricular dress that is stunning from Warehouse bought at least 4 years ago and it is a size 12, still never worn it! I feel embarrassed and annoyed that I've spent money on clothes I couldnt fit into but I'm getting there now. It has been an emotional rollercoaster and has made me really low at times especially when I've gone through a few weeks of the scales not moving.

I think you're idea of walking sounds really good - I've got a pedometer and take it when I go shopping and it's suprising how many steps I can do just by walking around a shopping centre.

Sending you lots of positive vibes and hope you start to feel on track :)

Brilliant words of wisdom, chick. I love the idea of giving up the scales for lent! xx

I'm with you Stevie, I can not face seeing no movement on the scales and I'm like you, I want to lose "weight" and the inches lost come with the "weight loss" xx

I'm with you Stevie, I can not face seeing no movement on the scales and I'm like you, I want to lose "weight" and the inches lost come with the "weight loss" xx

Pleased someone agrees, as I was starting to feel like the only one xx

As I said in my comment I understand why you need to see the scales go down. I meant it in a nice way, that when you hit goal it's difficult to get out the losing/ gaining mindset as it's what were used to. At my heaviest my bmi was over 40 and I hated exercise. I only learned to love it when I was adjusting to maintenance as I was adamant I was not going to yoyo again. I've been dieting since age 12 as I'm from a big family and at at 32 enough was enough. My skin is horrific but I need to exercise to maintain otherwise I'd be on a diet for the rest of my life.

My comment had good intentions and wasn't for now but more for when the scales do stop moving ( due to you hitting goal ) please do not be upset or angry with what I said as that's the last thing. I just know it's hard to plan for after dieting and I thought maybe thinking longer term may help as you were struggling. Xxx

As I said in my comment I understand why you need to see the scales go down. I meant it in a nice way, that when you hit goal it's difficult to get out the losing/ gaining mindset as it's what were used to. At my heaviest my bmi was over 40 and I hated exercise. I only learned to love it when I was adjusting to maintenance as I was adamant I was not going to yoyo again. I've been dieting since age 12 as I'm from a big family and at at 32 enough was enough. My skin is horrific but I need to exercise to maintain otherwise I'd be on a diet for the rest of my life.

My comment had good intentions and wasn't for now but more for when the scales do stop moving ( due to you hitting goal ) please do not be upset or angry with what I said as that's the last thing. I just know it's hard to plan for after dieting and I thought maybe thinking longer term may help as you were struggling. Xxx

Oh honey, I'm not upset or mad. Not with you. More frustrated with myself and my mind and how one-sided it is. I wish I could tackle things from a different approach sometimes, as I know it is helpful for others. I think that for now my main focus is just getting the diet right, but I do know that at some point (as I get to target or approaching it) I'm going to need to try new things such as exercising, taking measurements as opposed to weighing, etc. Your comment was helpful! And has given me food for thought xxx

Oh honey, I'm not upset or mad. Not with you. More frustrated with myself and my mind and how one-sided it is. I wish I could tackle things from a different approach sometimes, as I know it is helpful for others. I think that for now my main focus is just getting the diet right, but I do know that at some point (as I get to target or approaching it) I'm going to need to try new things such as exercising, taking measurements as opposed to weighing, etc. Your comment was helpful! And has given me food for thought xxx

Just to add in to this one. I know I rave loads about him but The body coach puts all his transformation photo's on fb and ig and the differences in 4 weeks are amazing. You've done it yourself where you have taken photos and they don't add up to what you see on the scales sometimes, going either way. Losing a good few lb, but it not really showing or gaining a lb, but looking trimmer.

He call's them the sadstep too. And he told a story the other day on fb of being in the gym, 2 girls having a proper great workout and being in such a good mood, and then when they weighed themselves in the gym a few times each to make sure it was right, they were so disappointed and you could see how much it had changed there mood.

I think we are all guilty of wanting the scales to say less. But to be fair... I'm not going on the beach with 9st/10st whatever tattoo'd on my forehead lol So long as I feel good in my bikini and I feel happy and healthy, I couldn't care what I weighed. That's why I personally agree with having a more active lifestyle in general works wonders. And I agree in the long term, it is greatly beneficial. Calorie counting/fasting/slimming world/weight watchers are all fab ways of trying to lose weight, but they do have there restrictions, and that's why you lose weight with them and that works for some people. However, if I look at the difference between myself and my mum, we both have a similar shape, my mum weighs nearly a stone less than me, but I 100% am less wobbly and more toned. I know the age is a factor, but I do 10 times more exercise then she ever has. Swings and roundabouts isn't it! And it's a lot for our brains to take in and think about.

Over and out! Lol.

I've got to agree honey, exercise has played a massive role in me getting to the weight I wanted to be and although maybe the first week or so it hindered weight loss after that it has just helped! If you think about it when you're exercising you are reducing your calories even further so it really does help with a calorie deficit diet like the 5:2 that you're doing!

But it is your journey and I understand that you have to go about it whichever way best suits you :) xxxx

Hey Stevie,
I read your diary religiously but rarely comment.
Try not to be so hard on yourself, everyone slips. If we didn't we wouldn't all be posting on an internet forum! :)
Glad your head seems to be back in the right place today. You've done it once, you can do it again, it's just difficult trying not to compare your progress the first time to your progress the second time (I'm living it lol)

Hey Stevie,
I read your diary religiously but rarely comment.
Try not to be so hard on yourself, everyone slips. If we didn't we wouldn't all be posting on an internet forum! :)
Glad your head seems to be back in the right place today. You've done it once, you can do it again, it's just difficult trying not to compare your progress the first time to your progress the second time (I'm living it lol)

You've hit the nail on the head! I do constantly compare this 'new' journey to my attempts before. I need to remember that this is a fresh start and I am supposed to be looking to the future, not the past. It is so hard though lol!

Thank you to all of you for the lovely supportive comments and words of wisdom and advice. It's nice hearing other people's thoughts and feelings on different things and it definitely gives me plenty to think about! Xxx

When we've got a bit if a journey to go were always gonna have one focus. It's not to be fit, healthy, lean, toned or certain body fat percentage it's always going to be to get the weight off first. You know how to do that and I agree it's best not to compare it to the first time you were successful. All that proved is that you can do it, but it WILL make you more determined to keep it off when you get there.

The best thing about having a diary is to look back at these emotions and how low/sad and out of control we felt.

I think your do determined and will do it, but it has to be your way. Just be a little kinder to yourself xxx

When we've got a bit if a journey to go were always gonna have one focus. It's not to be fit, healthy, lean, toned or certain body fat percentage it's always going to be to get the weight off first. You know how to do that and I agree it's best not to compare it to the first time you were successful. All that proved is that you can do it, but it WILL make you more determined to keep it off when you get there.

The best thing about having a diary is to look back at these emotions and how low/sad and out of control we felt.

I think your do determined and will do it, but it has to be your way. Just be a little kinder to yourself xxx

Thank you lovely. Your last sentence also hit the nail on the head - I do need to work on being kinder to myself. I am really tough on myself at times and beat myself up lots, which is something I need to learn not to do. I am only human, as are we all.

Thanks again for all of your support xxx

Good morning diary, happy hump day! So pleased that this week seems to be going quite quickly, and hope it continues to do so :)

I've got one more yummy Feast day today before my first Fast of the week tomorrow. Warren is coming for tea tonight so it's Pizza chicken and wedges all round. Can't wait!

This is how today is looking...

Wednesday 11th March 2015
*Feast Day*

Breakfast:
- Can of Monster Zero
- Mango Chunks
- Jimmy's Skinny Iced Coffee

Lunch:
- Crusty White Roll stuffed with Weight Watchers Tuna Mayo with Sweetcorn and Wild Rocket
- Special K Sweet Chilli Cracker Crisps
- Bottle of Coke Zero
- Aldi Optifit Active FF Cherry Yogurt

Afternoon Snack:
- 2 x Tesco Easter Fairy Cakes

Dinner:
- Quorn Pizza "Chicken" topped with Mushrooms, Red Onion, Peppers, Jalapenos and Parmesan. Served with Spicy Sweet Potato Wedges and Wild Rocket

Other:
- Special K Milk Chocolate Chewy Delight
- Half a punnet of Graze Slightly Sweet Popping Corn
- 4 x Creme Egg Biscuits

Last edited:
Mmmm pizza chicken! Need to make that again - we tried it on your recommendation and loved it but haven't made it since. Definitely going on the menu for next week!

I'm fasting tomorrow too. xxx

Mmmm pizza chicken! Need to make that again - we tried it on your recommendation and loved it but haven't made it since. Definitely going on the menu for next week!

I'm fasting tomorrow too. xxx

It's Warren's absolute favourite! He requests it every time he comes for tea lol, so I usually have it once a week. Although her has "proper" chicken and I'll have Quorn, simply because it's lower in cals but tastes just as good. Next week though, I think we're having a change and having fajitas instead! Haven't had them in sooo long and they are one of my fave dishes.

Hope you have a lovely day today and good luck to us both for tomorrows Fast! xxx

Back