The age-old nightmare... water retention! How to sort it.

wannabslim

Gold Member
Can anyone add anything of use to this thread? I just read something by WitchyAnne which helps you to check if you are retaining water...

press down on your shin, on the bone, about 5 inches up from your ankle, for about 3 seconds. Then release and smooth over the area gently with your fingers. If you feel a dent where you were pressing, that's a sure sign you are retaining water.

So I tried it and am retaining, but I dont know how to resolve the issue. I am drinking loads, little and often, it's not TOTM and I have no idea what to do.

Any suggestions? Thought this might be useful for others who have found their weightloss has slowed to a) find out if they are retaining water and b) to find out what to do about it!

yep, drinking more water is a huge one - I used to get it in my feet loads and the advice then was to elevate them

Can't think of anything else xx

Mine is really bad. I pressed down (not that hard really) about 2 minutes ago and the dent is still there!! The doc said lose 4 stone and it should improve.

I can just about still see it now! 3 mins

Mine is really bad. I pressed down (not that hard really) about 2 minutes ago and the dent is still there!! The doc said lose 4 stone and it should improve.

I can just about still see it now! 3 mins

Lol that was very helpful of him!! Mine is only there for a few seconds but its still noticeable! x

I bought some water balance tablets from holland and barrett, I've been using them and I think they help, I saw a huge difference last week with my weight loss, am still using them now.

that sounds like a good idea, what are they called? how much did you lose if u dont mind me asking, and how does that compare to normal? x

I have a feeling that those kind of things are frowned upon when on CD. Hopefully someone who knows more will offer insight........?

If they are ok - i'm wanting some!

that sounds like a good idea, what are they called? how much did you lose if u dont mind me asking, and how does that compare to normal? x

Am not sure whether or not they are allowed, (didn't ask my cdc) but they haven't taken me out of ketosis so am thinking they are ok to take. I said they seemed to have helped because I accidentally drunk on a friday :confused: lol... then went off the diet on saturday and was back on it on sunday and by thursday I had lost 6lbs! I am still taking them and will see how my weight loss will be this week. They are just called water balance tablets and come in a blue/yellow box, just ask sales assistant to point you out to them at H&B, I think they were £9.99 for 50 tablets, you take 2 twice a day after a meal.

I would need to check the official line, but I'm 99% certain that water tablets would be considered a nono.

Personally, I'm concerned about it. Not just because you could end up dehydrated and put undue stress on your kidneys and liver, but the psychological thing that's going on.

I know...I know...it's lovely to see the scales go down:sigh: but you want to see fat go really, and both gaining and losing water weight doesn't tell the full story.

It would be like picking up a bag or water, weighing yourself, putting it down again and saying woohooo...I'm slimmer :clap:

So, concern yourself with water retention if you must ;), and if it's bad, go see a doctor, but don't concern yourself with doing anything to make the scales go down. The diet will do that anyway.

Okay..I ask too much :D and I know this isn't the answer you want, but it's an honest one ;)

Oh...and BTW. Walking is excellent for fluid retention especially in the legs. Take some gentle strolls to help the pump fluids back into your circulation, then come home and put you legs up higher than your heart. I used to lie on the carpet with my legs up the wall when it was bad:D

Back