The Benefits of Losing Weight Slowly

gobolino

Gold Member
Hi everyone

I'm hoping we can put together a lovely long thread about the benefits of losing weight slowly.

This could be a big motivator for those of us who are on the slow train to target but know that sticking with it is the only way to go (albeit slowly)!

:thankyou:

Your body has more time to adjust to the new you, which means less chance of putting weight back on and less flabby bits!
Also you get to reap the compliments for longer!

You look really great!

If you lose weight slowly your skin has time to adjust. Lose weight quickly, you're more prone to loose skin and stretch marks. Plus, crash diets inevitably involve eating unhealthily. Which can mean you'll exchange being fat for having bad skin and dry hair and bad breath lol

I never thought that I'd say this but.... I'm ok with only losing slowly because...

It gives your mind time to keep up with your changing body... I've lost 6 stone and still mentally feel that I'm 3 stone heavier than I am..

Without 'big' losses, I don't feel the pressure in group to maintain large losses each week.

I don't feel 'disappointed' (as some in group do) with 'just' a 1 lb loss. So most WI days I leave feeling pretty happy!!!

The longer it takes to lose and the longer that I'm 'on' plan, the more of a way of life it becomes. That way, I'm more likely to keep the weight off, as I'm always going to be healthy eating.

I'm a slow loser, not that I don't have big losses - sometimes I do but I also have gains and maintains in between. This is because I still thoroughly enjoy eating out and going on holiday without feeling the need to restrict myself.

I do make better choices now than before and try to stick to the plan most of the time but I don't stress out if I have a gain after a holiday or a maintain after a gorgeous pudding.

For of that is the best thing about losing weight slowly, I never feel deprived and really enjoy the food i'm eating whilst still losing weight :)

Thank you so much for your opinions - they are fab, I'm loving it :)

Also the reasonings are so similar to mine too :)

I'm hoping that in losing slowly I will be better at maintaining, because I've invested too much time to throw it all away.

I love this thread! Been feeling bad about slowing losses. Reading this helped me feel really positive.

Losing slowly is great because it gives me time to make the psychological changes I need to stay healthy for life.

What are you calling fast and slow losses though? I think there are some huge generalisations being made here. Yes it's good to celebrate losses, however small and slow they might be. But I don't think it's necessary to do it at the expense of those who do lose more or faster. It's perfectly possible to do that successfully and maintain without any of the negative things being said here. It's down to individual personality and lifestyle choices and not in relation to speed of weight loss.

What are you calling fast and slow losses though? I think there are some huge generalisations being made here. Yes it's good to celebrate losses, however small and slow they might be. But I don't think it's necessary to do it at the expense of those who do lose more or faster. It's perfectly possible to do that successfully and maintain without any of the negative things being said here. It's down to individual personality and lifestyle choices and not in relation to speed of weight loss.

I think you've missed the point of the thread, it's about encouraging those whose weightloss journey may take a long time, helping to give them added incentive. I don't think anyone is saying that it's better or worse, if you are losing quickly you have that as an incentive in itself. Seeing 1/2 lb losses each week can be disheartening when you have so much to lose.

Thanks but no I haven't missed the point. As i said it's great to celebrate any loss, however small or slow. I think people here are saying that it is worse to lose faster. You can incentivise people without making other people feel fearful about losing weight fast by telling them they are less likely to maintain, will have loose skin, flabby bits, stretch marks, or dry hair, bad skin and bad breath.

Last edited:
If that comment is aimed at me, I'm referring to people who crash weight off unhealthily. Not to people who just happen to lose weight quicker than others. Crash diets that medics disapprove of, do cause those symptoms. If you starve to lose weight, it does cause problems. I know. I've been there. I think you are missing the point. It's talking about how we should be encouraged by our smaller losses and not be tempted to do dangerous diets. It is absolutely NOT telling people who are sensibly losing big amounts of weight that they're doing something wrong. Good luck to people that can.

PatchworkPuss said:
Thanks but no I haven't missed the point. As i said it's great to celebrate any loss, however small or slow. I think people here are saying that it is worse to lose faster. You can incentivise people without making other people feel fearful about losing weight fast by telling them they are less likely to maintain, will have loose skin, flabby bits, stretch marks, or dry hair, bad skin and bad breath.

Erm. . . Yes, you have missed the point because your still arguing it. None of the posts would have been put to intentionally offend anybody. My friend who comes with me has lost 18lb in 4 weeks n I would NEVER EVER say or do anything that might harm her ability to do this. I'm not that pathetic. But it is a scientific fact that losing weight slowly is more beneficial to a persons body. If you don't approve of this please go and argue it with the scientists.

I don't think it was meant this way but I can see why if there is a thread celebrating the benefits of losing weight slowly it would in some way indicate that the benefits aren't got by losing weight quickly.
We are all different and our bodies and lifestyles mean we lose weight at different weights that its not easy or maybe even possible to control.
I understand that there are some people that don't seem to be able to lose weight by sticking to plan as quickly as others and that a motivational thread for keeping going would be good for them. (I think there is a thread/sticky/section somewhere on the site dedicated to slow losers to support each other)
There are also people who stick to plan and lose lots quickly e.g men.
I think its a shame that an thread that was intended to be motivating has got argumental but can see the point that was trying to be made from both sides.
Here's to losing weight the best way we can that our lifestyles and bodies will allow!

There doesn't need to be a thread celebrating big losses. The fact the scales move so quickly is the reward. People who lose slowly need to be reminded they are doing well too. Not seeing the scales move much is so difficult. Motivation can really dip if you aren't seeing results.

No one here was insulting anyone who loses quickly. Truth is, you are more likely to have loose skin if you lose quickly. You are more likely to have loose skin if you don't exercise as well. A lot is genetics.

And yes, you have missed the point. By miles.....

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Thanks all ! Yep as original post says..... this is simply a thread to put together some ideas to motivate those who have slow losses (nothing more, nothing less).

Love this thread as it sums me up to a T. My biggest weight loss has been 3lbs, now hovering about 3lbs above target and have been for months - one step forward, two back. I almost feel that my body is telling me that "it's" target has been acheived. Good thing is thou, the slower the journey the easier it is to maintain and just becomes a healthy way of life.

Back