The Casual Vacancy

jaylou

Gold Member
Has anyone read this or is currently reading it?

I'm a big JK Harry Potter fan but not sure about this one! My daughter (14) wants to read it but I'm not sure it is suitable.

Any reviews lovely people?

I haven't read it but wondered myself. . The 5 star feedback on Amazon only just nudges ahead of the 1 star with a smattering of inbetweeners so I don't think I'll be buying it just yet.

I recently finished this! Got it the day it came out so shows it took me a while to get through and I normally read really fast. I am major harry potter fan and its so completely different and I knew that but don't think I fully appreciate it until I started it! It's hard to get in to at first but I would say midway in it got better. To be fair It is far from the best book I've ever read but it's not really my genre anyway. I would not recommend it for your 14 year old far too gritty and the ending is quite harsh I personally wouldn't say it was suitable for a young teenager.

I'm still reading Hilary Mantels Wolf Hall (I really want to read Bringing up the Bodies so reading this first!) but The Casual Vacancy is definitely my next read after those. I'm a huge JK Rowling fan! From what I know, it's meant to be very good, a lot of political undertone, and certainly not suitable for a 14 year old.

Back