The diary of a spod.

Thanks for explaining! It does make sense.

Time difference - I am 8 hours ahead of you (so its my bed time v. shortly).

Sooty and Sweep - I totally utterley and completely love Sweep. If you watch enough Sooty and Sweep, you can actually understand what Sweep says.

xx

ohhh my god.... you know what im going to spend all weekend doing now........

:)

Do you think the kids today will get this nostalgic over Tellytubbies or Pokemon when they're grown up?

I think they probably will! I was thinking last night about the other stuff I loved - Battle of the Planets, Ullyses (sp?), Cities of Gold, Dogtanion, She-ra, My little pony, Carebears....

Favourite ever comment from a pupil I taught last year (year 5) when teaching about flashbacks in Literacy.....

"There was a really good programme on tv a long time ago in the olden days which had a flashback at the beginning...."

so I was like - ooooh great!!!! shes applying her knowledge to everyday life!!!, asked what it was....

"It was called 'The A Team'....."

OLDEN DAYS?????? :censored:

So I explained to her that it was on tv when I was her age and that I didnt know whether to be cross because that meant she thought I was really old or whether to be really pleased because she knew of The A Team!!

What is funny as a teacher is finding out all the parents who are my age / a few years older are making their kids watch our stuff from the 70s / 80s on dvd!!! :D

You lot might mock my understanding of Sweep's squeeking, but its so true!

Hope you are all ok this fine and freezing morning.

My throat is worse, I think I over did it with talking yesterday (I think the pain killers masked the pain of talking), so I am going to have to take it v. easy today. Luckily (or unluckily depending on point of view) husband is out this afternoon helping friends move apartments, then he's going out for dinner tonight with all his collegues. So I am home alone, which at least means I try not to talk, cos there is no one to talk to.....

Not been v. good with the eating thing....

Breakfast / Lunch: :sigh: husband went out for food and got this lovely egg bread herby stuff (which is v. nice and soft on my throad) and beef noodle soup, so that was a lot of carbs....

Been drinking lots of green / orange tea, so thats been good

Dinner: will be pumpkin and chilli soup (love it Janey!!) with some chilli chicken (still trying to clear my head)

Have got to be 80kg when I weigh in tomorrow / monday otherwise I wont be a happy bunny!!!! So I shall be good for the rest of the day, will try and practice my taiji , but I cant remember a couple of moves that link the different sections together...

Ho hum!

I'm sure i will be back on here later, have a good day y'all!

xx

Morning Spod (or Evening in your case)
Hope you're feeling a little better.
If its any consolation I know what you mean about being able to tell what Sweep says when he talks. lol.
I know I'm not a kid, per se, but I watch a lot of programmes on DVD from like the 80s and early 90s when I was either not born or too young to watch them. I especially adore Blackadder and Red Dwarf!!!

~Silence~

Morning Spod (or Evening in your case)
Hope you're feeling a little better.
If its any consolation I know what you mean about being able to tell what Sweep says when he talks. lol.
I know I'm not a kid, per se, but I watch a lot of programmes on DVD from like the 80s and early 90s when I was either not born or too young to watch them. I especially adore Blackadder and Red Dwarf!!!

~Silence~

Hello there! I knew it wasnt just me who could tell what Sweep was saying!! lol!

I love Red Dwarf and Blackadder too. Have you seen Father Ted? - its my all time favourite. (but a bit later than the other 2).

I feel crap and my throat is worse and my voice has gone more and I am really pee-ed off! Husband has been out all afternoon, so getting a bit lonely now. He's got this dinner thing tonight and I think he will go out aftewards (which I dont normally mind, but I am going a little stir crazy here). Have done some work (which he wont be happy about cos I should be resting, but I am climbing the walls)
I have just finished watching 2 series of The IT Crowd and we have lent all the other dvds I fancied watching to other people!!

Off to make some green tea - oh the excitement...

xx

I love Red Dwarf and Blackadder too. Have you seen Father Ted? - its my all time favourite. (but a bit later than the other 2).

Yeah, I love Father Ted. I like most comedies to be honest... faves are Red Dwarf, Blackadder, Father Ted and Vicar of Dibley. I like some of the American ones too like Scrubs and Family Guy, but you can't beat a proper British comedy!

Hope you enjoyed your green tea!

~Silence~

Yep, 5 hours ago - fast asleep!

Now wide awake. Boo!

Weighed myself and I am splat bang on 80kg. Woohoo! 70s here I come.....this time next week 79kg....fingers crossed.....

xx

Yep, 5 hours ago - fast asleep!

Now wide awake. Boo!

Weighed myself and I am splat bang on 80kg. Woohoo! 70s here I come.....this time next week 79kg....fingers crossed.....

xx

Morning Spod, well done, getting to 80kg on the button, if your being good today maybe the scales might register 79.???? tomorrow :cool:

Thats brilliant news on the 80! Well done! It shan't be long at all until you're winging your way into the 70s. :D

~Silence~

Thanks Lily and Silence!! Feeling pretty pleased, cos it means I only have 4 kg to get rid of by Christmas - it was a bit of a sticking point 80.5 / 81, so I am glad to be over it.

Been ok food wise today.

Breakfast: yakult, green tea and steamed bun
Lunch: Left over chicken (cooked with spring onions & ginger) not much of it left) and pumpkin soup
Dinner: Rice, pork, mushrooms.

Not so much green tea tho - must be better with that tomorrow!

Still not going in to work, still cant bl**dy talk. Hope you are feeling better tho Lily - hows the chest infection?

Really miffed not to be going in tho cos I am climbing the walls here and its really lonely being on your own all day and most of the evening and then not being able to talk when someone is here. Its way to cold to go outside and I have been advised to stay in so I dont breathe in the cold air, which could make things worse apparently.
aaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhhhh!

I am so fed up.

Husband invited our friends round this evening, so we had a Chinese takeaway (!!) which was nice and it was really nice to see them, because I havent in ages but I am so tired. I sat quietly in the corner..... ho hum.

Off to bed in a bit, hope everyone is ok and having a relaxing Sunday.

xx

Thanks Janey, Clarri & Caws!!

Weighed myself this morning too (just to make sure) and its still there on 80! :D

Confession time......:wave_cry:
Forgot to add something to my food diary for yesterday....only remembered this morning when I opened the fridge....

Our friends who came over have a baby and she was 4 months old yesterday, so they brought a cake with them and very *kindly* left the other half of it here (despite me trying desparately hard for them to take it with them and not trying not to seem rude...) so I had a piece, which I know isnt bad and it was v. nice, but how could I forget to write it down? Not had cake in ages!

And now there is half of a huge spongey cream cakey thing in the fridge, but the good thing is - I dont want it. Not even a little piece.

Still cant talk and my throat really hurts when I try to talk, but its not making me feel grumpy cos I am heading in to the 70s! woohoo! (well, maybe a little bit grumpy...)

Anyway, off to have a shower and get dressed and hope that makes me feel a bit less yuk!

Hope you are all ok.

xx

hey there spod. are you feeling any better yet? i feel like i've missed so much in not coming on over the weekend!! ha.

how old are you? i'm sure we've all written it down somewhere but you wrote down all my fave shows from when i was little. i LOVED dogtanion. and of course you can understand sweep. he spoke!! ha. i hated sue though. she needed words :D

and cities of gold!! it was amazing. and i never saw the end, although i've been told that they did indeed find it. and ulyses. i don't know how to spell it either but now i have the song stuck in my head. ha.

anyways. hope you are all doing well? i fit into a size 16 dress this weekend (sorry if you all know, but i'm so chuffed i'm writing it everywhere, ha) but my brain won't accept the size i am? it's a really odd sensation knowing, but not really believing, ,ha.

how are you all doing today?

how is chinese takeaway in china spod? bet it's amaaaaaaazing :D and wouldn't that just be takeaway...

abz xx

Wow Abz! Size 16 - thats fab! Congratulations! :D You brain will catch up eventually (probably as you fit in to a size 14 - you will be like "but I am size 16!")

I am 29 :eek: (and will be for the next few years I think). My 'little' brother is 26, so I remember lots of stuff he was in to as well. I loved the fact Sweep was naughty. He had the same blank / innocent expression that my cat had when he was being naughty which always made us laugh. Sue was a pain in the arse who needed a slap.

Haha! You are singing the Ullyses song too! Its v. catchy. :p
Loved Dungeons and Dragons cartoon too, could never decide which character had the coolest weapon - the cloak that made you invisible when you put the hood up or the acrobatic girl who could do karate and kick the baddies arses.
Bro was heavily in to Thunder Cats for quite a while too!

Chinese take away from the fast food places is only ok, it doesnt seem to be great. We have found that its better to get stuff delivered from proper restaurants which is fabulous (depending on the restaurant obviously!) but we tried a fast food outlets delivery service last night and it was ok, but we have had better. (benefits of having chinese friends - they can order over the phone, husband's chinese isnt quite good enough yet - although he had an arguement in Chinese the other day with a bloke who sold us a dodgy dvd that didnt work - I am still only working on ordering in restaurants and directions in taxis!!)

Anyway, food today - I have been really, really bad and not eaten nearly enough but I am really not hungry, my throat is hurting and I still cant talk. :sigh:

Breakfast: none - didnt wake up early enough. Just a yakult drinky thing :(
Lunch: green tea, orange juice
1 biscuit (bit like a soft water biscuit), spread with low fat marg and weird New Zealand marmite, that doesnt taste quite like proper marmite, but its ok.
Dinner: beef noodles. Only ate half a bowl full cos I got bored of them.

Lovely husband brought me a huge bunch of roses and lilies to cheer me up - they are really pretty. :D

Anyway, will post this cos its taken me nearly 20 minutes to type it....on a major go slow!!

Hope everyone is more with it than me!

xx

oh honey. so sorry you still feel crappy. at least the weight should drop off!! :D looking for that silver lining. keep eating little and often and your body shouldn't hit starvation mode. and keep up your fluids.

loads of love and hugs coming your way.

and at least you can order from a real chinese restaurant :) so what sort of food do you eat over in china? i doubt it's the same as what we eat from the chinese over here, ha. do you eat a lot of noodles and rice? is it generally healthy?

abz xx

Hi spod, sorry to hear your still not feeling the best, I can sympatise cuz I'm in the same boat, but thankfully its not affecting my appetite, are you taking painkillers to numb the pain of your throat?? You really should eat, cuz its the eating that helps our bodies recover, get some protein into you, I'm slowly but surely recovering by eating :p

oh honey. so sorry you still feel crappy. at least the weight should drop off!! :D looking for that silver lining. keep eating little and often and your body shouldn't hit starvation mode. and keep up your fluids.

loads of love and hugs coming your way.

and at least you can order from a real chinese restaurant :) so what sort of food do you eat over in china? i doubt it's the same as what we eat from the chinese over here, ha. do you eat a lot of noodles and rice? is it generally healthy?

abz xx

Thanks for the hugs Abz!! Muchly needed today. The silver lining is indeed the weight should start dropping off! So thats a bonus!! :D Would rather be able to eat something and do exercise tho...

So Chinese food:

The area I live in is pretty expensive (the city in general I mean) compared to other places cos its a v. popular holiday destination for the rich people from Shanghai! So the food is a huge mixture - which is FAB!
Chinese food is so different from the UK - for a start each province / region has different types of food they cook there. For example the Sichaun province (SW China) food is very hot and spicy (LOVELY!!) where as Zhejiang province (SE - where I live) is a lot of fish & quite a lot of sweet dishes (also v. good), where as in the North East, the food tends to be more bland & soups & stews (as its colder up there!) - but obviously each area has a mixture of types of food.
The area I live in has a huge variety, on my street alone we have western, pizza hut, KFC, Sichaun, noodle bars, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, North East, outdoor bbq (OMG - that is sooooo good), local area traditional dishes, a bit close to the city centre there is mexican, French, italian, german - pretty much anything you want.
Generally the places we frequent for food are all family run ones which are pretty small and the food is cooked as if you were in someones own home, not mass produced at all, which is why the food is so good.
The majority of the food is stir fried or boiled (and then the water tends to be used as part of the dish or made in to a soup - so the nutrients arent just chucked away) or cooked on a bbq. The Chinese people I know eat a lot and are tiny (which is irritating), but its all meat, vegetables & either rice, noodles, steamed buns or dumplings (they are gorgeous).

In Chinese restaurants you tend to order a couple of meat dishes, a couple of vegetable dishes, soup & rice. You always get tea as soon as you sit down and watermelon at the end of the meal. Unlike UK chinese food, it doesnt tend to be such artifical colours, but MSG is used a lot, which I was suprised about.

The option of unhealthy eating is there, but its so easy to eat healthily - even if you order out, you can get restaurants to deliver. Little Kids / adults on buses eat corn on the cobs / raw carrots / apples / pears etc.

The over weight / obesity thing has only started with the introduction of western foods and the immitation of western life style.... :rolleyes:

xx

Hi spod, sorry to hear your still not feeling the best, I can sympatise cuz I'm in the same boat, but thankfully its not affecting my appetite, are you taking painkillers to numb the pain of your throat?? You really should eat, cuz its the eating that helps our bodies recover, get some protein into you, I'm slowly but surely recovering by eating :p

Sorry to hear you arent feeling too good as well. I am taking painkillers but its caused problems cos it masks the pain and then I over did it with the trying to talk thing and that why my throat is hurting more again....
I am just not hungry today tho - I'm sure I will be tomorrow!

xx

Back