The Dreaded E......

Yes muscle does weigh more than fat but then the muscle will increase your metabolism and help to burn off the fat. When you stop exercising the muscle will turn to fat and no longer be useful

Have to say I always disagree with this! Pound for pound, muscle and fat weigh equally. So....if you have 1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat they will both weigh 1lb. It's just that muscle is leaner so takes up less room! Which is why it's so great to build up muscle (that, and the fact that it burns more calories than fat).

(no offence, Taz!!)

Have to say I always disagree with this! Pound for pound, muscle and fat weigh equally. So....if you have 1lb of muscle and 1lb of fat they will both weigh 1lb. It's just that muscle is leaner so takes up less room! Which is why it's so great to build up muscle (that, and the fact that it burns more calories than fat).

(no offence, Taz!!)
No, none taken Stacey but I have to say I laughed lots at that. It's like the trick question, which weighs more a lb of feathers or a lb of coal! Of course they both weigh the same but per inch muscle is heavier and if you are working out regularly then you can build muscle quicker than you burn off the fat thus making the gain. When I started martial arts I put on 1lb and lost 2% body fat!

No, none taken Stacey but I have to say I laughed lots at that. It's like the trick question, which weighs more a lb of feathers or a lb of coal! Of course they both weigh the same but per inch muscle is heavier and if you are working out regularly then you can build muscle quicker than you burn off the fat thus making the gain. When I started martial arts I put on 1lb and lost 2% body fat!

Oooh...never knew that you build muscle quicker than burning fat. I'll keep that in mind when I get started exercising! What kind of martial arts do you do? I used to enjoy kickboxing although I was pretty rubbish at it! Although I did once kick my friend in the nuts (purely on accident....;))

Hmm accident!?!? Ha ha! I do karate and kickboxing. I've only been doing the kickboxing for about 5 months but I've been doing karate for 16 months

Back