'The dress' fits! Now for the accessories ....

Summerskye

Gold Member
My niece, Kirsty, is getting married at the end of July (which is pretty scary as it seems like only last month that I was holding her at her christening 21 years ago!) and I'm really not sure what type of outfit/s I should wear for her wedding.

I only see her about once or twice a year as she lives in Lancashire and I'm a bit like the mysterious fabled Auntie who lives 'down south' and just appears (looking increasingly blonder and slimmer :eek:) every so often. I haven't been to a wedding in yonks and most of the weddings I've been to in the past have been rather grand Jewish affairs where most women tend to wear ballgowns or cocktail dresses - even in the synagogue for the service! :rolleyes:

Is it the norm to wear one outfit for the church service and then another for the evening 'do' or should I opt for just one outfit for the day and evening?

I was thinking of two outfits: maybe a calf-length summer skirt, camisole and jacket for the church and something a bit more dressy in the evening, but really don't know if that's the done thing. I certainly don't want to appear over-dressed as it's not going to be a particularly 'posh' do, but I do want to do Kirsty proud and not let her down on her Big Day.

Oh, and are hats in church obligatory or optional?

Any ideas anyone?

Im not sure what the 'done thing' is for English Church Weddings but I know any weddings Ive been to its been the same outfit all day.

Hats are definitely optional. I LOVE hats though, I hired one for my brothers wedding rather than buying one and got a gorgeous and rather expensive (brand new) one for the cost of a cheap and nasty BHS effort ;)

The type of dress youve described sounds perfect!!

To be honest Sharon I think anything pretty much goes at wedding's these days - it would I guess depend if you are going to be able to leave the day to to change for the night do...... I would wear what you feel comfy in... it's OK to wear trousers/trouser suit these days..... what about something along these lines......

365-958-G32w.jpg

Or alternatively anything in black/cream always looks really classy for a wedding.....

Hope you have a lovely time.....

or this... this is lovely - look nice with a little black wrap too... (I know how you feel about your arms....;))

992-065-X39w.jpg

Summerskye - where do you live in Essex....Im in Essex and Im a colour and Image Consultant...would you be interested in finding out which colours are right for you and the shape and style to complement your body shape...send me a private message....

Alternatively - go to Boundary Mill in Romford Brewery...the shop is closing and they have some wonderful clothes in there...they are shutting July 15th - I understand..

Gilly

Oooh! That is SO me!!! Where is it from Mich? :)

Next (on-line) would you believe.... a black hat or glammed up hair would look fab Sharon..... it's in the 'going out/occassion' bridal/occasion page... no....1 costs £50.... wot about this one? same page as the dress....

118-234-X39w.jpg

Starlight..... some people do change.... some don't.... I have never bothered to be honest ....... bad enough choosing one outfit let alone 2....!!

123-260-X39w.jpg

Has this little top with it too Sharon.... oooh am on a roll now.... i should have been a personal shopper....!!

Hi Sharon,
I'm going to a wedding today and I've brought one out fit (a black and cream dress), the wedding is at 2pm so the day and evening do will flow straight through.

With the hats, I'd say they are optional, I think they look fab tho. Saying that, I'm not wearing not wearing one today as I'm having my hair put up. I get married next month and I've asked on the invitations that ladies wear hats ;)

K xxx

Summerskye - where do you live in Essex....Im in Essex and Im a colour and Image Consultant...would you be interested in finding out which colours are right for you and the shape and style to complement your body shape...send me a private message....

Alternatively - go to Boundary Mill in Romford Brewery...the shop is closing and they have some wonderful clothes in there...they are shutting July 15th - I understand..

Gilly

Hi Gilly

As you're relatively new to Minimins, I don't think you can receive PMs yet, but I live in the Loughton area. Oooh .. an Image Consultant! I've never had one of those before. How posh! :cool: Whereabouts are you by the way?

I haven't been to Romford in ages, but will bear that in mind .. although not having a car at the moment (boring details on my diary thread) makes it a little awkward for me to get there :sigh:

Next (on-line) would you believe.... a black hat or glammed up hair would look fab Sharon..... it's in the 'going out/occassion' bridal/occasion page... no....1 costs £50.... wot about this one? same page as the dress....

118-234-X39w.jpg

Starlight..... some people do change.... some don't.... I have never bothered to be honest ....... bad enough choosing one outfit let alone 2....!!

Oooh no - not with my hips and backside!! *lol*

I think one outfit would be best as I really don't want to faff around changing etc. I've never worn a hat either - but do rather like the idea of wearing one as they are rather glam aren't they? And, of course, when you remove it, it gives a whole different 'look' to the outfit I guess.

I didn't know you used to be a Personal Shopper!! :eek:
Why don't you live closer? *lol* I've always hated shopping with a passion - and being a size 10/12 hasn't made it anymore fun either. Grrrrrrrrrr!

I'll check out both Next and M&S online, but I always worry that if I buy something online it won't fit me properly when it arrives - and, by then, it'll be too late to return it and buy summat else :rolleyes:

Hi Sharon,
I'm going to a wedding today and I've brought one out fit (a black and cream dress), the wedding is at 2pm so the day and evening do will flow straight through.

With the hats, I'd say they are optional, I think they look fab tho. Saying that, I'm not wearing not wearing one today as I'm having my hair put up. I get married next month and I've asked on the invitations that ladies wear hats ;)

K xxx

Hi Kitty

What a great idea to state that you want ladies to wear hats at your wedding! At least that way everyone knows what to do :)

Have a great day today - and I'm sure you'll look gorgeous! Hat or no hat :D

Oooh no - not with my hips and backside!! *lol*

I think one outfit would be best as I really don't want to faff around changing etc. I've never worn a hat either - but do rather like the idea of wearing one as they are rather glam aren't they? And, of course, when you remove it, it gives a whole different 'look' to the outfit I guess.

I didn't know you used to be a Personal Shopper!! :eek:
Why don't you live closer? *lol* I've always hated shopping with a passion - and being a size 10/12 hasn't made it anymore fun either. Grrrrrrrrrr!

I'll check out both Next and M&S online, but I always worry that if I buy something online it won't fit me properly when it arrives - and, by then, it'll be too late to return it and buy summat else :rolleyes:

Wasn't a personal shopper said I perhaps should have been one....!!!!

Wasn't a personal shopper said I perhaps should have been one....!!!!

Oh definitely!! You have such a great eye for what works together/suits people.

Hey! Maybe that could be a whole new career for you :D

Back