The Importance of......

jaylou

Gold Member
...... measuring milk!

In the years I've done SW, I've always been a naughty girl when it comes to measuring milk, in short, I've never done it.

So this last week (and this week) I've poured my 250ml semi skimmed into a jug at the start of the day. As I'm a bit of a coffee addict it's been a surprise to note that each coffee I have uses, on average, 50ml of milk. So, 5 coffees and it's gone!

If I have porridge, I make it with water but add a bit of milk after cooking, if I have weetabix then I use a good old glug of milk. Then I'll have a Starbucks a couple of times a week and kind of put that down to my milk allowance too.

My point is this - I've been going over my milk allowance forever!! As each pound is a flippin struggle to lose I reckon this has made a bit of a difference to my losses.

Just a thought to those of you who are struggling - these small things could make a bit of a difference to your losses!

Hmmmm...I allocate one syn to help with the HexA allowance and then blindly throw my milk around like a maniac.

This is very true! i had 3 weeks of staying the same recently so decided to go back to basics! measured my milk for the week and lost two pounds! i drink tea like it's goin out of fashion at work so I took my allowance with me in a bottle and made black tea and added my milk, that way i knew when i had had my allowance!! Also i no0w quite like the taste of strong tea!! haha

Its worth measuring milk out for this reason! You can often end up going over your syns just from "guess-timating" your allowance.
I always measure my milk out to make sure I dont go over as its so easily done.

I only measure my milk if I have cereal. I measured my milk on my first week and 250ml semi is four cups of tea.

This week I measured it dash for dash and it worked out the same - four cups of tea, was FUMING at the SW Woman of the Year thing though when they gave us a jug of whole milk. I wasted 2 syns on bloody whole milk ha ha ha. so cross!

I too like my milk so I have my allowance for 5 cups and then 1 syn for every cup thereafter. At the meeting i went to about becoming a SW consultant, they too had whole milk grrr and yuk !

i use skimmed not semi, but must admit i dont measure it. I drink tea by the bucket so if i use any for cerals or cooking i count that as extra. i guess if my losses slow i will become more vigilant, but its working for now so ssshhhhhh!!!

I measure mine out every morning, to use in my cereal/tea/coff for the day. And when I've run out, that's it no more cuppas that day. Or if I really want an extra cuppa, I use a small splash and call it half a syn.

I'm so pleased to see this thread as I was going to post something myself today about how people keep track at work, as I got thinking about whether it's affected my weight loss this week. I measured it first few weeks but have slowly found it a bit difficult to keep track of the milk i use for tea at work.

I've STS this week after losing every week for 5 weeks doing SW so far. My colleagues are not the most supportive so I don't talk about my diet so when people make me a cuppa, I don't like to say I'll get my own milk but then I totally lose track and I can't resist a cup of tea when asked!

I'm going to do my best over the next week to make sure I know exactly how much milk I'm having each day and see if it makes a difference.

I'm so pleased to see this thread as I was going to post something myself today about how people keep track at work, as I got thinking about whether it's affected my weight loss this week. I measured it first few weeks but have slowly found it a bit difficult to keep track of the milk i use for tea at work.

I've STS this week after losing every week for 5 weeks doing SW so far. My colleagues are not the most supportive so I don't talk about my diet so when people make me a cuppa, I don't like to say I'll get my own milk but then I totally lose track and I can't resist a cup of tea when asked!

I'm going to do my best over the next week to make sure I know exactly how much milk I'm having each day and see if it makes a difference.
I often buy the long life little plastic pots and say to my colleagues that I prefer them (even though I don't lol)

In farmfoods they do a 250 ml semi skimmed long life milk, so if you buy them when it is all gone thats your lot!

You could always take milk into work and say if anyone makes you tea could they please use the bottle of yours, if you don't want to tell them its for your diet tell a white lie and say its lacto free to ease IBS just put it in a plain bottle and write on it lacto free do not use it will stop others borrowing it. Read this to back up you lie Lactofree – Welcome

Hi guys I must admit I have only started using my milk allowance as I drink herbal tea ie. Green tea and peppermint although am now getting heavily addicted to fruit tea. Lately I have been having a cup of hot chocolate made with milk every evening to use my allowance (and for only 2 syns I get a choccie hit!!). I never measure it though I just assume that a cup is rougly 250ml. I might measure it this evening just to see how much I actually am having.

Excellent point about the milk, but I would like to extend the importanct of weighing and measuring to all the Healthy Extras and any syned foods. Guestimating is not an option if you want to loose the weight.

Very true CG. Thing is, milk is/was the only thing I didn't measure - I always always measure cheese and any meat/carbs on red/green but the milk always kinda slipped me by!!

We use 'The One' (think that's what it's called, purple container from Tesco) - it's skimmed milk but it apparently tasted like semi-skimmed. I would say it tastes like full cream! So my allowance per day is 350ml

I measure it out in the morning, pour what I want on my Weetabix then drink the rest from a glass. I go through fits and starts with tea and currently not drinking it, if I did start drinking it again I would just tip what was left in the jug after covering my Weetabix into a bottle and keep it separate in the fridge for me for the day.

Other than on my brekky I don't use milk for anything, and I'm not a big fan of it either - I only drink it as I need to for it to be a full HEa!

My ONLY exception is at SW meetings, after I have weighed in, I have a cuppa with the supplied milk (which I think is 'One' anyway and I only have a dribble).

I LOVE that with SW you don't need to weigh or measure much, so it always seemed that when they DID tell you to use/eat a certain amount it had to be important.

We use 'The One' (think that's what it's called, purple container from Tesco) - it's skimmed milk but it apparently tasted like semi-skimmed. I would say it tastes like full cream! So my allowance per day is 350ml

Sorry to rain on your parade hun but you still only get 250ml of this milk. I've just double checked on the SW website.

250ml The One 1% fat milk.

:(

When I do use milk I measure it every time! Luckily I drink my coffee black and don't like tea so I only have milk if I am having cereal or using a bit in cooking!

Back