The Jillian Michaels Method.

laurenmay

Gold Member
I love Jillian. I've been a big fan since seeing her on the biggest loser, but then reading her books, seeing her DVDs and listening to her podcasts converted me even more.

Biggest Loser aside - because I know a lot of people either don't like the shows methods, don't believe in it or doubt that the contestants keep the weight off blah blah... I have 100% faith in her as a personal trainer & nutritionist and know she's gotten hundreds of pounds of thousands of people & a lot of them have kept it off too.

Her way of losing weight and keeping it off is as follows.. start calories low, never go under 1200 but 1200-1400 is her sweet spot for women & 1400-1600 for men.. eat as much clean & healthy foods as you can.. 80/20 rule so 80% is healthy and 20% of your day is treats... and workout 3-4 times a week for at least 30 minutes.

Then when you've lost weight, you gradually up calories by 10% each week until you're eating your maintenance calories which are BMR at goal weight X activity level - so TDEE.

She says if anyone does plateau, then to have one or two high calorie days at TDEE and then drop back down to the amount you were on (1200-1400).

She says never to start at a high calorie level & decrease because when you're continuously decreasing you'll end up having to maintain your weight at the low level you've decreased too!

I believe in her & I'm tempted to follow her methods and see how I go. She says she works for results & the quicker the better, but it's not a miracle 'melt the fat off overnight' diet and projected weight loss is 2-3lbs after the first two weeks where losses are higher due to water etc.

What do you all think?

Lauren, you need to do what feels right for you. If that's what u feel better doing then that's what you should do. The advice you'll get from me and some of the other has been against going so low (i've read some of her books) but in the end it's your body and your weight loss journey. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

i suppose by the time ur at goal weight the tdee isnt much more than 1200-1400? how many maintenence calories do u get at 11st if u work out 3 times a week???

i suppose by the time ur at goal weight the tdee isnt much more than 1200-1400? how many maintenence calories do u get at 11st if u work out 3 times a week???

She says she personally eats 1690 to maintain her weight, but she's tiny - 5ft and 117lbs - and whenever she works out she eats ALL of her exercise calories back cause she doesn't wanna lose any weight.

I calculated my BMR at my desired goal weight and its 1450, so my TDEE at lightly active would be 1990 so I'd eat that to maintain.

I'm aiming towards this too! And doing her. 3@ day shred.

She talks a lot of sense. And she has a thyroid problem doesn't she? Thought I read that somewhere. Not sure though.

I'm aiming towards this too! And doing her. 3@ day shred.

She talks a lot of sense. And she has a thyroid problem doesn't she? Thought I read that somewhere. Not sure though.

Yeah she's got an under active thyroid & something wrong with her bones too.. osteo something? I love her. I know the biggest loser promoted freakishly fast weight loss and some contestants put the weight back on, but that's not Jillian's fault nor her show, she was just a personal trainer on the show & I feel like loads of people dislike her for the biggest loser!! Her podcasts are so funny & informative, I urge anyone with an iPhone or iPod to download them.

Ooops also forgot to add that she allows her clients, and herself, a cheat meal once a week on the evening of the day they weigh in.. But just a cheat MEAL and not a cheat DAY!

This sounds really interesting. I've just got the 30 day shred DVD but will defo download the podcast I'm always driving for work. Does she have books?

i love her too think shes a die hard trainer and i always thought thats how you started with low cals and worked up. i personally would rsther do it that way and see if i can achieve results through that. im finding that because im trying to eat clean and healthy its very hard to get to 1700 cals without eating some sort of rubbish.
i think its right you should follow what you believe is right for you rather than trying to convince yourself that the other way is right.

sarah xx

This sounds really interesting. I've just got the 30 day shred DVD but will defo download the podcast I'm always driving for work. Does she have books?

Yep she's got a few books.. I've got her master your metabolism one & unlimited but that's more of a self help discovery thing. She's got making the cut which is a book to lose the last 5-10lbs.. the podcast is called the jillian michaels show & there's probably 80 odd episodes now. Each one is really informative & really funny!

I've just seen book winning by losing on eBay for 99p is that a good one?

Yep she's got a few books.. I've got her master your metabolism one & unlimited but that's more of a self help discovery thing. She's got making the cut which is a book to lose the last 5-10lbs.. the podcast is called the jillian michaels show & there's probably 80 odd episodes now. Each one is really informative & really funny!

R the podcasts free?

Haha just totally jammed my phone with podcasts! Can't wait to listen will be good in the gym I get a bit bored of music!

They're really good! She tends to talk about a subject, then fitness tips & diet tips etc, then she always has callers who ask diet questions etc

I love Jillian too. Her podcasts (with Janet!) are helpful and so funny at times. I lost 5 stone between Feb and Oct. Went from size 18-20 to 8-10. I did it by eating 1200 cals a day. I then maintained between Oct and Dec by eating about an average of 1800 cals a day. I did not put any weight on doing this. Some days I ate loads more than 1800 and some days less.

I have put on 3-4 lbs over Xmas as I was eating 3000+ cals for a number of days (more like a week!). So to shift those lbs I'm back on 1200 cals. Probably will only take 3 or 4 weeks if that.

I agree with Jillian's methods - well it seems to work for me anyway.

I love Jillian too. Her podcasts (with Janet!) are helpful and so funny at times. I lost 5 stone between Feb and Oct. Went from size 18-20 to 8-10. I did it by eating 1200 cals a day. I then maintained between Oct and Dec by eating about an average of 1800 cals a day. I did not put any weight on doing this. Some days I ate loads more than 1800 and some days less.

I have put on 3-4 lbs over Xmas as I was eating 3000+ cals for a number of days (more like a week!). So to shift those lbs I'm back on 1200 cals. Probably will only take 3 or 4 weeks if that.

I agree with Jillian's methods - well it seems to work for me anyway.

Well done!! Solid proof that Jillian's method works and the weight DOES stay off & you DO end up maintaining on a good high calorie amount!

Did you ever have cheat meals? I'm considering incorporating one cheat meal a week to keep me sane.. I know a lot of people swear by it & I did it a few times before with success so I might do it again but make sure I have a harder workout the following day.

Yes I did have cheat meals. I love Chinese takeaway. I probably have one once a fortnight and sometimes once a week. It's so difficult to count cals in takeaways so on the days I'd have them I've eat very little food and really enjoy my Chinese in the evening.
You cannot deny yourself what you love or you will fail.
I don't eat as 'clean' as Jillian would recommend as I still have unhealthy snacks like curly wurlys, meringue nests, frys Turkish delight etc. But my meals are very healthy. I eat loads of veg and salad, fish and chicken. I have very little red meat.
However, the main factor that helped me focus is that my hubby was calorie counting too and lost about 5 stone too. We also motivate each other when maintaining too.

Good luck Lauren x

Yes I did have cheat meals. I love Chinese takeaway. I probably have one once a fortnight and sometimes once a week. It's so difficult to count cals in takeaways so on the days I'd have them I've eat very little food and really enjoy my Chinese in the evening.
You cannot deny yourself what you love or you will fail.
I don't eat as 'clean' as Jillian would recommend as I still have unhealthy snacks like curly wurlys, meringue nests, frys Turkish delight etc. But my meals are very healthy. I eat loads of veg and salad, fish and chicken. I have very little red meat.
However, the main factor that helped me focus is that my hubby was calorie counting too and lost about 5 stone too. We also motivate each other when maintaining too.

Good luck Lauren x

This has motivated me too!! I have abt 5 and half stone to lose! So reading your post has given me faith in calorie counting! Ive reset my cals from 1600 to 1400 after reading the jillian method and ur success too xx thank you :) xx

Back