The journey to a new me!

Hi Sunflowerlady,

Another fellow South African here :). Been reading your diary and you have done every so well! Really inspiring. This is day 31 for me and I still find it hard some times. I am also lucky enough to have a very understanding other half (think I would have given up the ghost a very long time ago if I didn't have his support..lol). I have 6 stone to lose (maybe 7) but I will be very happy with 6. I am 5'3 and started out at 107kg and have lost exactly 10kg in 4 weeks, hoping for the two stone mark in two weeks time. I do SS+ most days but tend to have at least 1 or 2 days a week where I have just 3 products a day on SS. I have been 100% (not even a lick of a spoon!) and have never ever stuck to any weight loss plan for this long.

I totally understand the hard days. Some days I can chew off my own arm from hunger and I want to also burst into tears when I have to cook dinner for my hubby and the kids. But other days are a bit easier. I am just taking each day at a time. You have done so well and your diary really inspire me to keep going on the tough days. x

Hi Pink Tulip en baie welkom!

A BININI! Is ja mal?????

My consultant wants me to go to step 2 TODAY! I'm not prepared for this!

I hate having to cook for the kids - and me seperately, it was so much easier sucking on a shake! I havnt shopped or anything for this... so I'll stay on shakes a bit longer..... funny how all you want to do is EAT something, and then when you're told you can - you chicken out!

Dankie Jillybeans :) Your losses are amazing - well done! I really envy people who can do SS all the time. I wish I had that much willpower, but SS+ just helps me feel like I am actually getting some solids in and I suppose mentally it just makes me feel like I am not totally deprived of food...lol.

Hi pink tulip! Thanks for reading my diary!

Where abouts do you live? I live in the UK and jillybeans lives in SA.

Having a supportive OH really does help! I think if I didn't have him I would certainly have stopped ages ago!

Jillybeans step is fine! I started on step two and did it for two weeks. The only difference is you have foods off the allowable list plus your packs. It will probably help curb the hunger pangs etc! Good luck!

I live in South East England. I have broken down my goals into smaller mini goals. Have written a long list with mini goals which makes it much easier and every other week I am crossing off another mini goal reached. Makes me feel like I have achieved something each time I cross something off the list...lol. Next one for me is 10% of my starting weight which I should hopefully reach in the next day or two:).

Thanks Pink Tulip! I'm pretty happy with my loss and am feeling good that I fit into clothes that I havnt worn in years (I'm a hoarder).... I'm in week 10 of SS and its been difficult and have fallen off the wagon a couple of times, but not badly enough to pick up weight.

I'm considering starting Step 2 on the weekend as I'd need to shop for the foods on the list. I see theres still no carbs on Step 2 which is fine by me - and I checked how much is in a tin of tuna.... seems we're allowed almost 2 tins of tuna a day??? Does that sound right?

Also, is hake a "white fish"?

Day 43, Today has been an ok day. No cheating and no temptation or wanting to cheat.

Really craving Chinese and Indian though!!!

Went three times round the site today at a pace that was quite fast for me. Also walked up and down the car park staircase each time we passed the car park. Was quite tired afterwards. Hope it helps with the weight loss.

Day 44 and the scales are not my friend. As you all know I weigh myself daily and track my weight on an iPhone app. Since Tuesday this week,the scales have barely moved with me just losing a mere 200g in three days! Today it didn't change at all!

My husband tried to convince me I was plateauing and that tomorrow the weight would drop off in a massive heap, but all I can think about is the fact that I am putting myself through hell with not eating and not getting any reward for it! At this rate I will be lucky to lose a kg this week! A few years ago, I was on a diet that you ate food and lost around a kg a week. If I can't do that doing a vlcd diet and not eating anything then what is the point of being on the vlcd in the first place!?!?!?

Jilly do you have at wise words as I know you went through a stage of not losing anything. How did you keep your head in the game??

Is it because during the week I have been doing the site walks? I can't help but think that on the days I exercise I don't lose that much weight. It's the days I don't exercise that I lose a bit more....

Any ideas and suggestions much appreciated!

Awwwwwwwww dont be despondent! Yes, I had this earlier in the week when I weighed (sneakily - as I'm trying NOT to weigh during the week) and had only lost 600g, and then today, at WI - I'd lost 1.9kg! So try stop daily WI - they only get you down (ask me, I know!)

Also, you are doing masses of excercise! I thought 1 lap was 1km... so you've now upped it even more - could it be that your body is now building muscle, and as you know, muscle weighs more than fat?????

My simple advise would be to stop the daily weighing - even if just for a week, as it does affect us when we dont see rapid losses!

You are doing so well and TOTALLY understand the "whats the point" questions in your head.

Keep it up - keep the water up, and dont lose faith.... wear that new dress around the house when you doubt yourself!:hug99:

I am a serial weigher too! Weigh myself every morning and last week I had a couple of days where the scales did nothing...but then at WI I lost 3lb! I know sometimes that even though the scales don't move, we are still losing inches. My body shape is changing a lot. I am some how losing more from the top half and less from the bottom half. I managed to buy a to 2 sizes smaller but my current jeans still fit (although loosely) so I think I'm in between sizes there. When last did you take your measurements? You might be pleasantly surprised by the inches loss and it's a great motivator too :)

Pink Tulip, I find my losses are (thankfully) around my arse and waist MORE than my boobs and arms - just shows how different we all are.

I also used to weigh daily (till my scale battery went flat and I had a WHOLE WEEK of no weighing...LOL) and was pleasantly surprised when I replaced the battery - so decided not to weigh daily.... ;)

My body shape has drastically changed. I now have a waist again. I have a entire wardrobe of clothing ranging from a size 14 to a size 20.... I can still wear all my tops, but my trousers and jeans I'm running short of now!!! But I dont want to buy any new clothing till I'm down to the size and weight I"m happy with.

I know what you mean. I can see myself going out to buy some smaller clothes soon. We have a clothing shop here called Primark, I suppose it's a lot like Mr. Price in SA and I will be shopping there for a while yet cause I cant bare to pay lots of money for clothing I wont be wearing for long...lol. I am quite small busted so not really loosing on my bust, but more on my arms, waist and top part of tummy. My husband made a comment that he could feel my collar bone again..lol. I would do anything for the weight to shift off my backside, hips, thighs and calves...urgh...but hopefully that will come in time. I am going to try and take your advice not to weigh every day. Maybe I will try for every second day and then slowly wean myself off the every day weighing in fear that if I go cold turkey, I will cave...lol. My WI is on Monday and I am hoping to lose at least 3lb. Fingers crossed.

Hey ladies!

Thanks for the advice and interesting thoughts. I haven't been officially weighed since I started the diet. My consultant has taken my waist measurements twice since then. I did however do a home measurement myself and had lost a total of 10 inches in all areas. Guess I could do another measure.

I haven't really seen if I lose in one place or not, I think I must lose all over as I haven't really noticed a set difference anywhere.

Did three rounds the site today plus the staircase walking to boot. And yeah, one round is 1km.

You are doing very well Sunflower! I cant imagine walking in the cold - and yet you do it, a couple times!

You are losing the inches/cm's - even if you dont immediately notice it... set aside a pair of trousers you dont currently get into, and try them on every weekend - and then suddenly they'll fit - viola!

I found this on a sticky in the forum: thought it was really good.

Fact: Stick to the plan and you definitely lose weight
Fact: You can control what you put in your mouth
Fact: You cannot control what the scales say.

So what do you celebrate? The scales showing a loss, or the fact that you kept to the diet all week?

What if you stick to the diet, but the scales don’t reflect your effort? Will you be disappointed, even though you have done everything correctly and couldn’t possibly do any better? Knowing that you will have lost weight…but it didn’t mean anything because the scales are giving the wrong result?

What if you ‘cheat’ and the scales show a big loss…does that mean you’ve succeeded and need a pat on the back?

Or even if you’ve been 100% and the scales are showing a loss? Does it mean more to you? Does that mean you’ve done even better than 100%?

I think the scales are a wonderful tool. I weigh daily, and love seeing them give the same reading day in and out, but that’s not what I really celebrate.

I celebrate being in control of what I put in my mouth, because that’s what I have done. I don’t celebrate what the scales say.

So if you’ve stayed the same one week, or just lost that one pound….if you’ve kept to the diet 100%, then be proud, because that’s what it’s all about. Stick to the diet and the weight is coming off….whether or not the scales agree. And you’re worth the same amount of applause than those who have lost more.

1lbs, 1 stone, it doesn’t matter. You can’t do better than 100% after all ;)

So do me a favour, and next time you go to your CDC for a weigh in, if you’ve been 100%, go in rejoicing.

Tell him/her you are going to be one of their success stories, because you were in control this week and will be next. If the scales reflect this, that’s just the icing on the cake. You’ve lost weight anyway. You don’t need a mechanical instrument to tell you whether you are in control or not ;)

So tonight i was supposed to ho out for a friends birthday meal, but since i hadn't gotten to the target weight i had set myself when i said yes, i didn't go. Sat at home and had my soup instead!

Getting really bored of drinking water too, I know everyone says its tasteless but I hate the taste and its getting to me now. May buy a water flavouring to spice things up a bit. :)

Going to a baby shower tomorrow so I will have to make sure I sit in a corner and sip my bottle instead of be near the food table!

Day 46.

Have a baby shower to go to. Will have to be very good and steer clear from the temptations of the food table. :) hope there are no food based games I will need to play! Not many of my friends know I am on Cambridge.

Weekly photo day too. So far no real change that I can see, so hoping I will be able to see it today. I know I am losing as the scales and the clothes tell me I am, but wish I could start to see a difference on the pictures too! Wonder if I need to lose three stone to be able to see the difference in the pics. (Official weigh in is 2stone 2pounds)

How did it go sunflower? I've found that I'm saying "no" to more and more evens and social gatherings as I just dont want the temptation - so I'm alienating myself from my friends.... I stay home, dont go out and am too scared my resistence will crumble.

You must be noticing a difference in your own body by now....? Surely your dh is noticing? Your clothes are showing it - but maybe its coz you're still wearing your "fat clothes" hence hiding underneatht he folds? I packed away my trousers, and moved down another size - and am wearing old clothes (smaller) from the back of my cubboards, so maybe people will notice your loss if they see you in new (old) clothes??

You're doing so well!!!

The baby shower went really well! I wore my new dress and everyone was commenting! One lady even asked for my cwcp's number to see about the plan.

So it was good, not tempted by any of the food luckily, and because there were two girls who had done Cambridge previously they knew about the plan and so encouraged me not to go to the table :)

No cheating! :)

Back