The penalties for slipping...

JohnF are you in the medical profession? From whence comes your slightly scaremongerish information? Because on all the vlcds I have done, NONE and I repeat NONE have said drinking alcohol was *dangerous* and neither is it *dangerous* doing Atkins which uses the same priniciple...ketosis...I've consumed alcohol (not over the top amounts admittedly) in ketosis and NOT, I repeat NOT konked out, become delirious, etc...I have become tipsy and drunk just as if I were in a normal non ketotic/ketonic state...

I am getting narked, trying hard not to here...I think it is you who are rather ill informed or taking the information you have and using it out of context...I have not heard of anyone having any ill effects when they fall off the wagon to alcohol while in ketosis...maybe I am the only one who hasn't?!

And on lighterlife and lipotrim alcohol was NOT counter-indicated (is that the right word?) No, one shouldn't drink whilst trying to lose weight as the fat loss will be stalled whilst the alcohol is burnt off.

From elsewhere (and this is from an experienced person, Lyle McDonald, who has written a book about the ketogenic diet):

"Although alcohol intake has been discussed briefly in previous sections, its effects on ketosis need to be discussed here, especially since many individuals want to know if alcohol is allowed on a ketogenic diet. In general, once ketosis is established alcohol tends to deepen the level of ketosis seen.

Additionally, the pathological state of alcoholic ketoacidosis (which occurs when individuals consume nothing except alcohol for long periods) is known to result in potentially dangerous levels of ketones in the bloodstream. Alcohol may affect ketone body production in the dangerous levels of ketones in the bloodstream. Alcohol may affect ketone body production in the liver and alcohol itself can be converted to ketones. As well, the production of ketones from alcohol tends to result in less fat loss since less FFA is converted to ketones.

Additionally, anecdotal reports suggest that alcohol may affect individuals more (in terms of drunkenness, etc.) when they are in ketosis versus when they are not. Care should be taken by anyone consuming alcohol."

I assume one would have to completely binge beyond a binge to be anywhere near death when consuming alcohol whilst in ketosis...care should be taken...small amounts ain't gonna do jack spit...

Last edited:
Evening everyone :)

Ok let's remember that we are all supporting each other on here.

Just to confirm from a Cambridge Diet point of view (which is the company I am a counsellor for) then alchohol should not be had when in ketosis. This is for the reason that John F has put above.

If someone wants to drink alchohol then they should move up whatever diet programme they are on until they are no longer in ketosis.

BUT! Minimins is not a medical site or offers medical information and hence if anyone is concerned about his/her health or needs more advice then please pop and see your GP as the primary source of advice.

Also please please remember that everyone is allowed an opinion and all opinions are valued.

Mike

From elsewhere (and this is from an experienced person, Lyle McDonald, who has written a book about the ketogenic diet):.

And Lyle has also been known to say that on low carbs you can get seriously messed up very quickly when drink alcohol ;)

The quote above, about it being dangerous comes from Koeslag of some physiology university I think, rather than from the popular VLCD folks themselves. How true it is, I don't know, though I must admit to being a fan of Lyle's :D

But, the main UK VLCDs that I know of say No to Alcohol. I've also heard of people on CD/LT/LL who have drunk it in ketosis finding themselves drunk very quickly with an awful hangover and felt very ill after it.

So, rather than risk anything really nasty happening, which is possible (you know...Koeslag could be right), it's best to avoid.

And yes, I have heard of Atkins folk drinking (and getting drunk rather quick), but best to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

hey yeH i spoke 2my chemist they sed i can drink alcohol x

wel they said i shudnt really, but its ok 2 make an exception they just sed i may put a pound or so on. neva sed nothin bout being in danger x

no i didnt ask, i wus in a rush 2 get 2 work didnt need details just wanted a yes or no. i'll ask again on friday x

awww thanks kirsty. happy bday from then!! yeah i mean 2 b honest i dnt think il b in ketosis wen i ava drink anyway cos i will b havin a small meal nite b4 n a small meal b4 i drink so probly knocked myself out of it by then anyway x

Back