The really slow loss team!

:hug99: Annya - keep talking to us here chica and good luck.
Once you are off your meds in the spring you WILL lose some of the steroid gain.

After a GHASTLY and largely unwarranted gain this week I am also ringing the changes for a few weeks. I have been doing SW for 9 months now and have lost a measly half a stone so it clearly doesn't suit me either!

Even the doc says something must be wrong - after 40+ weeks, even at a pound a week, I should have lost more than 2.5 stones by now! I wouldn't mind so much if I was being naughty most weekends, but I am largely on plan 100% with only an occassional slip - and plenty are losing regularly even with much larger slips than me, so clearly it is my body and the plan.

Like you, I will still be around though. Good luck to us all, whatever plan we chose to follow :)

I cannot help but agree with you Annya. It is not as if we have not given it a very fair chance. My doctor more or less said the same. In the amount of time I have been following it, I would have hoped to have at least got to 140 lbs by now. That would be about 10 months but still only lost 7 lbs.

I can't really count this week as have been largely off plan, but prior to this was following it fairly strictly 99% of the time.

Hope you find something that works and let us know!

I am back on plan from tomorrow.

oh big hugs everyone, i know how you all feel, im really complacent with it atm and was saying to mil (who also does ww) that i might join her in doing that, it would probably help having her on hand to do it with as shes really good at it and lost about 3 stone, it did take her a long time but shes been following the plan for years too...maybe a change is in order, i cant be doing any worse than what i am now eh?

My Dr has tried all the tests under the sun to see why I struggle to lose weight as much as I do and frankly he has given up.
He says I don't even eat enough to take slimming tablets to reduce my appetite or eat enough fat to take the fat leakage ones so I just plod along.
I have hover between losing 8 to 10lbs since last July.

Yesterday I had
B 2 mini hi fi bars
L baked potato with Philly
D I went to La Tasca with friends I did not drink and I ate 3 slices of bread and oil some fried potatoes 1/2 slice Spanish omlette slow cooked veg in tomato sauce veggie spoonful of veggie paella and some aubergine with cheese

Result 2lb gain this morning !

Last edited:
There is so much negativity about now for people who are overweight.

It seems that the line between being obese and just overweight is being blurred and I get the impression that we are considered to blame for any kind of illness we get.

Two things I noticed recently. On the Yahoo page there was feature titled "Over eating to blame for Alzheimers" and a copy of an HR Magazine with an article about "Too Fat for Work, how to deal with problems of obesity in the workplace".

Now I am not that big, a bit round in the middle, and my bottom half, legs, etc are fairly slim, but I do come under the seriously overweight category, but people around me say they never think of me as overweight.

The tv is full of programmes about fat fighters, fat families, I used to be fat, blah blah. It has become entertainment to use overweight people. Yes some of them may be inspired to get the weight off, but it seems a pretty dangerous and humiliating way to go about it.

I can imagine that in the future people will be turned away for any kind of treatment if they have body fat anywhere on their body.

A good excuse for the NHS to cut down on a lot of treatments as people will be considered to have deliberately made themselves ill.

Also we are constantly bombarded with the idea that home cooked meals are best for you. They are, but not if you follow the likes of Nigella, Jamie Oliver and Heston Blumenthal. It is all butter, sugar, oil, fat fat fat.

Rant over. I guess I am trying to say that being overweight does not always mean you are stuffing takeaways and pies as we know on this forum.

i agree fabulous lady :) i find the biggest loser good entertainment but its not inspiring whatsoever i find it humiliating and when they look at them like crap when they 'only' lose 2 pound i want to slap them, it doesnt promote healthy weight loss, they are letting people believe that losing upto 11 pounds in one week is normal and healthy and also taking someone who hasnt exercised for a very long time and who is morbidly obese and making them exercise harder than anyone should exercise is not healthy...one day someone will have a heart attack on that programme. im not massively over weight, and im starting to feel like maybe i should just settle for the weight i am now and be happy instead of everytime i put a morsel of food in my mouth feeling like a failure...its bordering on an eating disorder to be so obsessed with food and guilt ridden everytime you eat and i am starting to feel like its not a healthy mental attitude for me to have...and does it matter really that i need to lose 12 pounds to get in my healthy range? i set my target at 9 and a half stone, but that feels completely unobtainable right now, i think whenever i manage to get on with the weight loss road again i am going to set my target to 10 and a half stone, i look ok at that weight, am a size 12-14 at that weight and havent been below that for years and years so maybe my body just doesnt want to be below that weight? i dont know, its so tough. ive even been thinking about just cancelling my gym membership cos im not going so feeling guilty every day that im paying for something im not using. guilt with a side order of guilt please :) on the upside my roast chicken smells delicious!

Golly, a lot of us are fed up or down today :(
I can't go back to WW, I did it for years and although I lost 3 stone with them back in 2004, I struggled there recently too.
I'm going to plod on. I've lost my focus a bit this weekend, not with my meals, but with alcohol consumption. (I'm not really a lush :eek:) On the plus side, my period started yesterday, day 32 which is much shorter than the 52 days I went last time.
I don't want to stay this weight though. I could cope if i lost another stone and a half say, that would make me a curvy 14 probably. But I hate being this size.:mad:

There seems to be lots of disheartened ppl at the mo. Maybe its the weather/time of year to blame. The lighter nights will soon be here and eating healthier happens as a matter of course.

Just think if you weren't following the plan you could've put on double what you have lost!!

Do you have incentives?

I find the support and widely available info on this website a godsend as I don't stay to class every week.

It's great following peoples weight loss journey too. I have been watching Obese: A Year to Save My Life. It is hugely inspirational and you can relate to each and every 1 of the contestants.

WW appears to have good results and the new pro points idea is copying from SW. I couldn't follow WW for long as I was always starving!!

There are many diets out there and not all will suit everyone. I enjoy SW as it encourages you to cook more and eat healthily without depriving you.

As for exercise, it cheers me up no end!! I am buzzing after a run or session in the gym. It makes you feel great!!

Just cos you guys are heading over to WW don't forget us lot in the slow losers group ;-) let us know how you're getting on!! And good luck!! I hope it works for you xxxxx

for those moving to new plans, dont leave will you ???

I coldnt do WW because of portion size, i would re gain so easily once it stopped, but you have to do whats right for you. stay and play out with us tho! we want all the gossip.

latte its just fluid hun, it will sort back out....the perils of daily weighing

Hi tortoises,

Haven't had a chance to read thru yet, but saw that a few of you are struggling.... I defected to WW a few weeks ago, but am back on SW and desperately trying to work on my portion control this week. I couldn't cope on 26pp with WW, I spent them all on convenience foods & crisps! My SW consultant contacted me to come in for a chat and to see if she could help. I went back on Saturday and had lost 0.5lb since I last weighed in with her 3 weeks ago.
I have been totally off plan for at least 2 of those 3 weeks, so am amazed for any loss but maybe it's what my body needed.
I think I put so much pressure on myself, also I was working out 6/7 days a week. Now decided to cut myself some slack, I'm going to follow SW and exercise a bit, but try desperately not to be so hard on myself if it doesn't go to plan.

You are all doing really well, keep this thread going, no matter what plan you follow. Although its not nice to hear of others struggling, it's some comfort to know that we aren't the only ones and that it seems a tough time for all tortoises :)

Hi to any new members of the group
Congrats on the move Lou
Much love to all losers & strugglers xx

Hi everyone, sorry to hear so many of you are struggling, but at least you can vent it out here, realise your not alone and hopefully feel better. My weigh in tomorrow, terrified as I'm sure I've blown any weight lost with my valentine dessert or two!! I'll let you know how I get on. Good luck to you all.

Jean

I am not doing WW - I am 2 VLC shakes and a 500kcal or so evening meal. My problem is my [negative] relationship with food just now - strangely, largely bought about by dieting (!) - so I am knocking three [food] meals a day on the head for a while to try and get some control back.

I am hoping to shift the same half a stone I have been shifting and regaining for months, then get back on SW........ but try not to be so rigid and guilt ridden about it all.

Very busy at work and in life generally so I can only do what I can do by way of exercise - couple that with the maxed out steroids and I don't stand much of chance, but I have to keep going or just get fatter and fatter and fatter......... That is the way to destruction - as proved by my poor Mum who died as a direct result of being obese when she was only 6 years older than I am now. Scarey stuff..............

Conversely my sister also has a negative relationship with food, but it swings the other way. She weighs around 6 stones at the moment and is very sick just now - can't ruddy win the women of this family.

Ho-hum. We will all get through - after all, we have each other!

oh anny im so sorry to hear of your mum and sister hun, not surprising that you have issues with food given those circumstances, i know it maybe sounds a bit wacky but do you think counselling or hypnosis could help...if just to help you have a less negative approach to food? i have been considering it myself tbh, well ive been considering a lot lately including taking the pills the doctor offered me last time i was there.

i just dont know what to do, i know i cant keep on like this as im not happy, but im scared to try weight watchers as what if i cant do that or gain more weight or it makes me deeply unhappy? i have been on plan today and stuck to my syns and had veg etc then spolit it and went over syns with a glass of wine. i just have no control. but today has been better than previous days even though ive eaten more its been better foods. ive made a pot of soup for tomorrow, just needs a bit of tweaking in morning then i will have that for dinner.really need to get to grips with breakfast though, i think this is why im eating loads on a night cos im skipping breakfast. i avoided the temptation to have takeaway tonight so thats something to be greatful for i guess lol.

hugs to everyone who needs them...lets re group tomorrow after a goods nights sleep and see how we feel then? im going to write down what im eating to try and help, and once the girls are well (this is about week 5 of illness now) i can get back into a routine. i have planned to go to the gym on tuesday and am determined to go. saw a video of me tonight and didnt like what i saw, my stomach is massive.

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt Lou. I am nearly 53 now so I have explored evey possibilty going!

Annya, sorry to hear about your mum and sister, being aware of your difficulties is a good step forward, trying a different diet for a few days might be what you need to do. Good luck.
Lou, hope the day goes well, I think we all struggle at times, I just set very small targets, which helps.
I would now like to make a special announcement. I Lost A Pound this week. My idea of weighing in on a Monday seems to be working as I had the opportunity of cake and pancakes this week which I amazed myself by turning both down!

Start date Jan 30th 14 11lbs Overall Target 70 lbs in 60 weeks
Week One 14st 11lbs Lost 0 Overall Target 70lbs in 59 weeks*
Week Two 14st 10lbs *Lost 1 Overall Target 68lbs in 58 weeks
Week Three 14st 9lbs *Lost 1 Overall Target 67lbs in 57 weeks

Morning all.

New week, new effort, new start. :)

I've had my fun now and the scales are starting to reflect it.

My strategy is now going to involve portion control. I was listening to a programme on the radio and the presenter said that our stomachs were actually the size of our fists. By eating so much we have stretched them to a larger size and we need to let them get back to their normal size!

He reckoned each meal should be just the size of our fist! It's an interesting concept.

I know that the the SW eat as much as you like mantra does not seem to work for me, so I shall continue on the plan but cut down my portions.

About a year ago I bought some portion control plates from Ebay. They are not the ones divided by drawings on the plate...no they are much more dinky.

You get a melaware plate with three divided sections. The large one is for your vegetables and the smaller two, for your meat, or potatos. If you had a curry, I guess you would put your rice in a smaller section, the curry in a smaller one, and salad in the large section.

You also got a small bowl for cereal or desserts plus a little container for any condiments like salad cream or ketchup. I am guessing they contain a tablespoon provided you don't try to overfill them.

So that's the plan girls! Probably going to take a couple of weeks to remove this excess (hopefully only that).

So have a good week, be kind to yourself but never forget your goals either. :)

Great to see so much support for each other too. I could never face going to WW or indeed any more slimming clubs. I either have to tackle it or face being flabby!

Last edited:
Get on that naughty step Jean - well done :)

those plates sound great!!! i think thats where i struggle tbh, with portion control, plus once i start eating i cant stop when im in that frame of mind, i very rarely feel full, or perhaps i dont recognise when i feel full? i dont know? im not too upset about it atm, i just know my motivation has gone, and i dont seem to be in any hurry to get it back which is odd, i think ive probably just had enough of dieting, ive had 3 weeks off plan and instead of it making me determined to get back on it i just cqant be bothered. how do you make yourself lose weight when your really not that bothered? atm i want nice food more than i want to lose weight, not really sure whats going on with me, not been like this before. oh well i shall plod on regardless hahaha, im going to get weighed tuesday morning and see how bad the damage is...hopefully i will have 'been' by then lol.

hugs annya, i hope your new strategy of shakes and one meal a day helps you, if it does i may join you for a week to give me a boost :)

well done on losing a pound jean, sometimes taking the pressure off helps but dont do what ive done and just give up completely haha. as you say new week new start...lets hope we all get a decent result this week to give us a boost

hope everyone else is ok?

Hi all! Good to see you all here. Conlou, when I lost my mojo I just planned one good day, and it worked so I just had one more good day, and now 2 weeks later I shall have more good days! One day at a time.
Well. Lost 0.2 this week. Sigh. Taking up running again with my cycling , it seemed to help weight loss before!

Back