The really slow loss team!

I'm too paranoid to exercise in front of people! Luckily I can lock myself away for half an hour a day.

I don't mind at the gym but the kids would just get under my feet at home and I can't donut with Steve sat laughing at me. I might send him upstairs for half am hour each night while I do it.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins
why dont you get him to take the kids out for half an hour! or get him to do some ironing! my oh does ironing, but only his stuff lol

Only problem is although my arms are toning ever so slightly...I'm seeing muscle. I don't want big muscly arms!

Don't worry, you won't get big muscly arms unless you lift heavy Lisa. I use between 1kg and 2 kg (2lbs - 5lbs) weights and I do have some lovely definition coming, but certainly not what I would consider to be big muscly arms. I am also on long-term steroids which will build muscle, but I am still not "pumped".

It is actually incredibly difficult for women physically to build large muscles unless they are weight lifting and also shredding out all their body fat (and most of them take steroids and/or testosterone too!). Most female body builders carry only 5-8% body fat tops and pump massive weights several times a day so not much danger of women like us looking anything like this (thankfully!).

Light weights, lots of reps, lift until your arms really burn but not to the point of exhaustion. This will give you nice, toned, defined arms but not big muscles :D That's what I do and am I starting to look quite ripped when I flex ;) Not bad at all for a woman approaching 53 if I say so myself! I still have around a stone of fat to lose and the definition will be more noticeable, but still not butch.

Do you measure you body fat percentage? You may well be building muscle and losing fat in equal proportions which would explain your lack of movement on the scales. I have been disappointed by the lack of movement over the past couple of weeks on the scales, but I have lost 0.5% of my overall body fat in that time and in the last month I have lost over 2% body fat but only around 1.5lbs on the scales. I agree with Lou about measuring yourself too - I have lost several inches in the last 3 weeks despite the fact that the scales have shifted so little.

I don't mind at the gym but the kids would just get under my feet at home and I can't donut with Steve sat laughing at me. I might send him upstairs for half am hour each night while I do it.

I agree with sl1nkyminny Lou - get hubs to take the kids out, especially now the evenings are lighter. That way they get some "Daddy time" (which is incredibly important for them) and you get some "Me time" (which is incredibly important for you).

Al actually can't watch me because he says it makes him feel guilty! Not guilty enough to join in though I notice ;) Actually he may well have to join me soon - he just gone and had fasting blood sugars done as he's showing some of the classic symptoms of diabetes (very thirsty, very tired all the time, very flaky if he misses a meal and very drowsy after eating). If he has developed Type II the first thing they are going to tell him to do is lose weight and exercise more!

Don't worry, you won't get big muscly arms unless you lift heavy Lisa. I use between 1kg and 2 kg (2lbs - 5lbs) weights and I do have some lovely definition coming, but certainly not what I would consider to be big muscly arms. I am also on long-term steroids which will build muscle, but I am still not "pumped".

It is actually incredibly difficult for women physically to build large muscles unless they are weight lifting and also shredding out all their body fat (and most of them take steroids and/or testosterone too!). Most female body builders carry only 5-8% body fat tops and pump massive weights several times a day so not much danger of women like us looking anything like this (thankfully!).

Light weights, lots of reps, lift until your arms really burn but not to the point of exhaustion. This will give you nice, toned, defined arms but not big muscles :D That's what I do and am I starting to look quite ripped when I flex ;) Not bad at all for a woman approaching 53 if I say so myself! I still have around a stone of fat to lose and the definition will be more noticeable, but still not butch.

Do you measure you body fat percentage? You may well be building muscle and losing fat in equal proportions which would explain your lack of movement on the scales. I have been disappointed by the lack of movement over the past couple of weeks on the scales, but I have lost 0.5% of my overall body fat in that time and in the last month I have lost over 2% body fat but only around 1.5lbs on the scales. I agree with Lou about measuring yourself too - I have lost several inches in the last 3 weeks despite the fact that the scales have shifted so little.

Ah thanks Annya! My dumbells are only 1kg-1.5kg. I should get heavier but when I'm lifting them constantly (30day shred or when I'm on my exercise bike) I woulnd't last long if they're heavier.

My arms didn't used to be too bad but now the underneaths really flabby. I'm hoping that will soon tone up & the tops of my arms are defining nicely. I must have flexed y arms last night & noticed the muscle & panicked :)

You sound like you're doing well with your weights!! Must admit I love combining strength & cardio, really feel I get a full body workout & like to feel the burn (to an extent!).

I haven't measured my body fat %, my old scales used to do that but now I use medical ones which don't measure the %. I am hoping to get a heart rate monitor soon to see how many cals I burn during workouts & I'm hoping that will tell me my BF%. I think you're right about burning fat & building muscle, I had forgotten about that.

Thanks guys. Hubby take the kids out?? After work?? HA! Pigs might fly!! Tbh I do tea as soon as hubby gets in, we eat that, then they have a bath then it's winding down ready for bed between 6.30-7 do there isn't really time. Now my 2 year old is back at nursery I can put youngest to bed for a nap and do it then. Starting today. I'm gonna do it without weights first.

I've been talking to my friend about unpleasant symptoms I'm having and lack of periods again and she think my progesterone is too high spin looked into it and I have every symptom. The herbal tablets I've been taking we're the wrong ones also sonive ordered different ones. Fingers crossed it helps cos I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired x

It must be really hard to find time to yourself to exercise when you have kiddies, especially young ones, so you do well.

What were you on herbal tablets for Lou? I've always had hormone imbalance & I think years ago the Dr said my progesterone was too high. I've been on stuff to balance it out but not sure what, I'd taken so much in the past 8yrs.

View attachment 46532

Got a new app on my phone so decided to do a collage of my weight loss.
Top is me at 14 stone
Bottom right is me at 12.8
Bottom left is me now. 11.9 hopefully less after weigh in tonight!!!

Great photos - well done xx

LisaC said:
It must be really hard to find time to yourself to exercise when you have kiddies, especially young ones, so you do well.

What were you on herbal tablets for Lou? I've always had hormone imbalance & I think years ago the Dr said my progesterone was too high. I've been on stuff to balance it out but not sure what, I'd taken so much in the past 8yrs.

I was taking agnus castus as my periods are very irregular verging on non existent, and theyre a hormone balancing tablet. They did start my periods again but apparently are only meant for people with low progesterone levels and my symptoms that I'm having- long periods, feeling down, anxiety, nausea, fatigue, headache, loss of sex drive, etcetc is down to high progesterone and the best thing to take isblack cohosh so I've ordered some. I just hope it works I'm exhausted all the time.

I was taking agnus castus as my periods are very irregular verging on non existent, and theyre a hormone balancing tablet. They did start my periods again but apparently are only meant for people with low progesterone levels and my symptoms that I'm having- long periods, feeling down, anxiety, nausea, fatigue, headache, loss of sex drive, etcetc is down to high progesterone and the best thing to take isblack cohosh so I've ordered some. I just hope it works I'm exhausted all the time.

I didn't even know you could buy herbal things for hormone problems! I might look into it, all the things I've ever been prescribed have never helped my pain.

LisaC said:
I didn't even know you could buy herbal things for hormone problems! I might look into it, all the things I've ever been prescribed have never helped my pain.

Ooh yea there's loads just be careful and don't mix them. Dong quai is another one for general balancing. Do your research first hun. Certain foods are good for boosting oestrogen like apples! It's really interesting x

Ooh yea there's loads just be careful and don't mix them. Dong quai is another one for general balancing. Do your research first hun. Certain foods are good for boosting oestrogen like apples! It's really interesting x

Cool, I'll look some stuff up. I know Dr's don't always like to recommend herbal stuff but if the Dr can't help me something else might :)

Well I did it. I put little one to bed and did day 1 of the shred. I didn't find it too hard and the 20 minutes flew by, but I AM aching like mad. Especially my legs!! Definitely gonba get some weights cos I didn't feel my arms had a good enough work out

Good on you Lou! Use some cans if you haven't got anything else for now - larger ones work a treat for starters.

I used tins of beans it was the heaviest thing I had in. I definitely need something heavier cos I couldn't feel anything.

Smaller tins aren't going to do much, you need the large ones (like the ones with pineapple or grapefruit in that I get from Tesco - twice the size of a bean tin). Or try bottles of water - 750ml or one litre have a decent weight if you have one in each hand.

I got 1kg + 2kg hand weighs on eBay quite cheaply or Argos have some at a reaosnable price if you have one close by..... our nearest is a 42 mile round trip so it was cheaper to order on line and have them delivered!

Back