The really slow loss team!

Pommette said:
Well done all you losers (I've finally caught up).

And Acc - well done for 3 weeks loss in a row. 9 lbs in 3 weeks is STUPENDOUS.
Techically though, you're not on the norty step this week - the rules say that you have to lose more than a pound to go there! :8855:

PS to Acc - there's something very weird with your stats. Have you looked at your BMI? 6000+

No!! Maybe its telling me something!!!!

Glad to be off norty step !!!

hi everyone!!

i am enjoying the change at the minute, its surprising how much less im eating but still not feeling hungry :/ just goes to show i was being a greedy mare on sw, which is a shame cos its worked for me before but i just dont seem to have any discipline with my portions, if i do success express i have losses but its not sustainable all the time and was making me obsessive. i think i will go back to slimming world once ive hit target as i know i can maintain on that but i need something a bit stricter to get me to target.

my c text me yesterday in a lighthearted way saaying missing member last seen jumping off the scales lol, i want to text her and be honest but i feel like im letting her down, or that ill be insulting her but it isnt her shes fab, its me...i guess im just bored with eating the same sort of stuff, i dont really have time to be faffing with new recipes and im getting sick of cooking everything from scratch. im sure in 2 months time ill be sick of weight watchers and end up switching back but i just need a boost. for example i went to my mums last night, normally that would mean diet disaster on sw and i just end up not eating anything or cooking something seperate and feeling deprived but i didnt have to, i had my weekly extra points which i used, and ive still got wnough for some wine at weekend :D happy lou-lou!!! maybe its a lifestyle thing? maybe sw is more successful if you dont go out socially or arent really a big drinker, cos you can eat more on a day to day basis than other diets your calorie consumption is obviously going to be higher so having 'extras' such as wine or meals out, or puddings etc just tips you over the edge...i know without a doubt that if i were to stop drinking, stop having treats and dont eat away from my own sw style of cooking that i would lose plenty of weigh in sw but for me personally im finding doing that really difficult at the minute, i have so many social things planned, like weddings, concerts, birthdays, hen do's that being 100% is impossible. i really wish sw was working for me as i do like it, i like having the free food element of it and not having to weigh and point everything but if thats what i need to do in order to lose this last couple of stone and still have a social life then thats what i have to do.

hope no one minds me talking about this on here i know its strictly speaking a sw thread xxx

Well I agree that just because foods free and super free we should not be eating it unlimited, I dont think thats good, I am using my rosemary conley portion pots now, as I feel that unlimited eating never a good thing, so sw is good but I will not eat unlimited foods xx

My problem is definitely drinking, I drink probably every other weekend so one week I lose one week I don't, even though I'm really good food wise. Maybe WW would be better for me too. X

The problem isn't the diet - it's our body and mind.
We all got fat because we ate too much - usually telling ourselves we're hungry so I'd better have something to eat.

The big problem is working out the difference between being hungry and feeling thirsty.
I used to reach for superfree but now I go and glug a big glass of water with NAS squash and wait for at least 15 minutes.
As that's how long it takes for your stomach to catch up with your mouth.
It works like a dream for me. I hardly ever snack between meals now - just drink loads of water.

Thanks for this Pom, I'm going to keep this in mind. I never get thirsty, really. I can go a whole day without one drink & I won't feel dehydrated at all. But I'm sure in the past I've eaten when really I should have had a drink. I'm always reading posts by people saying they eat & eat Superfree because it's Superfree. At the end of the day I could have eaten 500 extra calories just in a few apples when really that won't get me anywhere unless I'm eating because I am actually genuinely hungry. It's finding that balance between wanting/needing food & needing to drink.

Lisa - I know I live in a hotter climate, but even in the winter I drink about 2 lt water a day. More like 4 lt in the summer.

Charl - I have alcohol most days - I save nearly all my syns for a glass (or 3) or wine every night.
90 ml wine (3 syns) made up to 180ml with soda makes a lovely long drink.
It means I never feel deprived and it is what has kept me on the striaght and narrow for amost 6 years.

You don't have to miss out on anything - but whatever you have as your "treat" has to planned around to incorporate into your syn allowance.
Maybe that's why I'm a slow loser (combined with the gynae problems that lots of us on here seem to suffer from) but I've got there in the end.

Losing weight is all to do with your head. If it's in the right place and you really WANT to lose weight it's easy.
If you just think you NEED to lose weight and don't really WANT to then it will always be difficult.

Go back to basics when you are struggling girlies.
Get your books out, write everything down again and you'll be surprised at how much you are cheating on yourself.
I know I did at times. I thought I was being good, but then I realised that the odd ½ syn was creeping in that I wasn't counting.
"It's only ½ a syn" syndrome.
The problem was it probably happened 10 times a day - so that's 5 syns, one third of your allowance :eek:
And the odd splash of gravy I forgot to count, or that tomato sauce, or some mayo - another 5 syns between them. And then I'd still have my treat.

And then there's portion control.
Yes meat is free on red or EE - No you can't have 2 chicken breasts. That's just blumin' greedy!
Yes pasta is free in green and EE - No you can't have a whole packet (as I saw one lady do on her diary). Again just greedy. I have about 75 gm and I'm full on that.

And the killer is things like mugshots or pasta n sauce as a snack. They are a meal in themselves.
Yes they're free BUT they're not Superfree which is your first choice for snacks.

SW works if you think about it - and really get to grips with the "rules".

Right - I'll get off my soapbox now. :soapbox:

Last edited:
Totally agree Pom! It's all about your mind frame. A friend of mine (who actually was the one who introduced me to SW in the first place in 2009!) has been doing SW on & off for years. It works for her, but only when she has something coming up, like a holiday. Although events are huge motivation, the biggest motivation should be that you WANT to lose the weight. My friend will lose a stone then gain it back within weeks. She always wants a quick fix & SW isnt that, it's about a lifestyle which means it fits into everyday life. She is someone who wants to lose weight but isn't willing to put the effort in. I think when you feel like that you should just try to watch what you eat, otherwise you 'think' you're putting all the effort in with SW but actually not doing it right at all.

A few weeks back someone posted in the main forum about Free Food vs Syn-Free Food. It's a brilliant thread & something I'd never thought about, look it up. It really made me think about my food choices & reevaluate my choices. It's done me good!! It mentioned things like mugshots too.

In the 3 (long!!) years I've been doing SW I've always wrote my own food diary. It's something that has always helped me, although I'm not one who realises all little syns are adding up, I don't tend to eat syns that way. A few weeks back I decided to make a note of my syns & keep it on show at work so it was visible to everyone. It really motivated me to totally stick to plan & my syns. I made a note of every single food, even the is jelly bean. I also made a note of my exercise. Those weeks I lost 2.5 each week! It was good for my mind & when I get back to work (still unwell) ill do it again as it definitely helped me!

First time I did SW I lost weight very easily. It was wonderful. And that was in the days when Heinz Macaroni was free. Can you imagine it? My mistake was to regain my weight!! Thing is, with menopause, you seem to get this weight gain without changing your eating habits atall!

Well I am going to try to calorie count and see what happens. No superfree now, not even fruit and I'm starving!!!!!!

Flabulous said:
First time I did SW I lost weight very easily. It was wonderful. And that was in the days when Heinz Macaroni was free. Can you imagine it? My mistake was to regain my weight!! Thing is, with menopause, you seem to get this weight gain without changing your eating habits atall!

Well I am going to try to calorie count and see what happens. No superfree now, not even fruit and I'm starving!!!!!!

Good luck Hun. I'm really hungry tonight too. I'm back on the pill to try stabilise my hormones but I feel agitated and hungry tonight. I hope it passes!!! Well get there eventually. Tbh it doesn't matter how we get the weight off so long as it comes off, that's why there's so many different types of diets cos one diet doesn't suit everyone. Trying to lose weight sucks!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

The problem isn't the diet - it's our body and mind.
We all got fat because we ate too much - usually telling ourselves we're hungry so I'd better have something to eat.

The big problem is working out the difference between being hungry and feeling thirsty.
I used to reach for superfree but now I go and glug a big glass of water with NAS squash and wait for at least 15 minutes.
As that's how long it takes for your stomach to catch up with your mouth.
It works like a dream for me. I hardly ever snack between meals now - just drink loads of water.

I agree with all of this, especially with the drinking, as I drink a fair bit of tea in the morning, but then maybe nothing till the evening.

Do you think a piece of fruit mid morning say a satsuma or banana and a kiwi at mid afternoon is too much?ust

I just worked out everything I ate today in calories and as if it was a Green Day SW.

So far I have had 1470 calories on a calorie diet.

On SW, I have had 2 heb and 2 hea + 5 syns.

Also Pomette do you have all your syns?

Calorie counting is a reall faff though. I think I may just have a go at SW with portion control and see how that goes. :)

Well I agree that just because foods free and super free we should not be eating it unlimited, I dont think thats good, I am using my rosemary conley portion pots now, as I feel that unlimited eating never a good thing, so sw is good but I will not eat unlimited foods xx

Snap! I dug mine out too and I just need to work out what you put in which pot. Hoping this makes a difference.

I use the biggest for cooked pasta and rice and cereal, cheese goes into the smallest as does oats before they are cooked. any drinks or juice can go into the 2nd biggest thats kinda how I work them :) x

I lost 2.5 this week and 1.5 last week not been on here for a while :) so what's everyone having! :) x

lost another lb this week, slow but steady :)
Well done Linz - 1 lb a week is just fine. Almost 4 st in a year!!!

I lost 2.5 this week and 1.5 last week not been on here for a while :) so what's everyone having! :) x
Blumin' 'eck. Way togo chica. Make mine a white wine spritzer please.

I agree with all of this, especially with the drinking, as I drink a fair bit of tea in the morning, but then maybe nothing till the evening.
More liquid required! But not too much alcohol (says she with a brandy & coke by her side) :8855:

Do you think a piece of fruit mid morning say a satsuma or banana and a kiwi at mid afternoon is too much?ust
Deffo fine! But just watch the number of nanas you have in a week. They are a great energy booster (that's why all the tennis players eat them during a match)
But they are quite high in sugars - albeit natural ones - and potasium which can mess around with weight loss.

I just worked out everything I ate today in calories and as if it was a Green Day SW.
So far I have had 1470 calories on a calorie diet.

On SW, I have had 2 heb and 2 hea + 5 syns.

Also Pomette do you have all your syns?
Every blumin' one of them - I have never restricted myself. I usually have 4 or 5 with my meals for things like cornflour to thicken sauces, gravy, olive oil to dress a salad or the odd dollop of light mayo on a tuna sani. But the other 10 I'll have as 2 sprttzers and a brandy - see later (alcoholic that I am)

Calorie counting is a reall faff though. I think I may just have a go at SW with portion control and see how that goes. :)
This is effectively what I do - and have been for almost 6 years.
I really keep an eye on portions as this was my biggest downfall and why I got so fat. I had a huge appetite and would think nothing of having seconds.
My hubby does nearly all the cooking and always said "you're a joy to cook for" as I always ate everything he put in front of me and his leftovers too.
We're the same height almost (he's just ½" taller than me) - maybe that's why he's 10st and I got up to over 16½ stone! He eats small portions and he's never snacked or eaten sweets and chocky in his life. Well apart from Terry's Plain Chocolate Orange. :D

Plus my BIG BIG downfall of crisps and peanuts. I just daren't eat these any more as I can do a mega bag in one sitting :cry:

I keep my portions much smaller now and by eating lots of filling veggies in the evening, and having big bowls of chunky superfree veggie soup plus fruit and yoghurt at lunch, I honestly do now find that I don't need to snack during the day. Late at night can be my downfall though. I'm a night owl so often sit up until 3 or 4 am (I'm retired so don't have to worry about work) and I find that's when I get hungry. So I use a HexA for a mug of hot milk with Highlights hot chocky and a dollop of brandy in it (a Lamumba) (5 syns in total) and it rocks me off nicely to sleep and satisfies my late night snack attacks.

I did snack during the day when I first started SW 6 years ago - but then I had 5 st to lose and I was still eating much less than before SW.
But the nearer I got to target the more I had to cut out the snacks to maintain a weight loss.

My weight loss has been S L O W - averaging under ½ lb a week. But by doing it this way I truly have educated my apetite and now don't crave the crisps and peanuts all that often. And apart from this last week on holiday I've maintained since the end of November last year. That's almost 6 months of staying in my 3 lb target range.

I wrote a post some time ago about getting to target. It's here Target
I know Lou's seen it but it might help some of you too.

PS Just looked through the whole of that thread and something has gone very wrong with the photos. They aren't me!!!
I'll try and sort them out! Now sorted!

Last edited:
Thank you Pommette for such a helpful post. I don't drink alcohol. Gave it up about 10 years ago, so I cannot cut that out!

I rarely eat nuts or crisps, so they pose no problem for me. I love chocolate but try to have once a week only.

I think the thing that gets me down is that I have completely changed my way of eating, as suggested in nutritional advice, eg. low fat, don't fry, I don't eat red meat or fatty meat, in fact I eat very little (and cannot afford to!), the usual advice you get and still I remain stubbornly blobby.

So it can only be that I need far fewer calories than I eat. I am fairly active too so theoretically should be burning up a fair few cals.

Thanks again Pommette. :)

Back