The really slow loss team!

How's hubby Pom
Physically he's on the road to recovery although the meds are playing havoc with him. Add that to the fact that he is probably craving nicotine (not had one now for 13 or 14 days) he's very grumpy. Keeps shouting at me which is not like him at all. Plus his memory and concentration still aren't right. Been chatting to a nurse though who popped up on my fred and she reckons that the sedation he had in hospital and the very high dose antibiotics will all be playing their part so I'll just grin and bear it for now.

Woo-hoooo!!! Well done Lou. On the naughty step and get your purse out - that has to make it your round!

Well done Lou! How has everyone been lately? Its been so quiet! Xx

Well done Lou - I'll have anothe V&DC . . . Hic

Hubs getting better by the day - not quite so grumpy any more. He was getting downright nasty and doing too much (not helping me I might add but walking around and fidgetting a lot which was making him really tired) so we had a "heart to heart" on Monday. I told him if he puts himself back in hospital because he is being so stubborn then there will be no visits, no clean t-shirt and knicks every day, deffo no cuddles - ie no help whatsoever. He apologised and promised to listen to and obey me in future.
Result - especially as I had the obey taken out of our wedding vows! Very "avant garde" in 1976! :)

He's been behaving himself since and Grumpy guts wasn't so grumpy today. In fact I got a big smile and a hug this morning. I've been cleaning the apartment we manage to get it ready for client arrival tomorrow and he apologised as he said he felt so guilty about not being able to help. Silly man. He's not allowed to do anything until he's seen the consultant again next week - he is supposed to be "tranquilo". So no way is he going to do any cleaning. Although I did let him help me put the duvets into the covers. I get into such a mess doing it on my own!

Other news - I gained again this week (1.1 lbs) but that still leaves me under my 5 st target . . . just. But expect to gain again this week as food is still abit random and I'm grabbing too many baguettes for lunch as that is what hubs wants. Oh well - it's only bloat and it's soon be off again when I get back to maintaining properly.

Sorry I haven`t been here for a while, had computer problems. Hopefully they`ve been fixed and everything is back to normal.
Trying to stay away from the scales wi tomorrow. Another 5lb loss would be too much to ask but I`ll be happy with anything! :D

Glad things are getting back to normal pomme.

I put on 0.5lb on Tuesday but not that upset as I have re started the gym and I have still lost 1.5lb of the 9lb I put on due to steroids. I think the reduced dose is letting me lose weight.

A disappointing STS this week for me, despite being well under my alloted calories every day this week. Ho-hum............a true slow loser me!

Do you think you will have a whoosh when your steroids reduce Annya?

Probably not Latte. I am on a truly massive dose just now, which I think will have to reduce one way or another soon as the side-effects are getting pretty bad now. I will reduce back down my normal winter dose, which is about twice what a large dose is for the ordinary patient and they may add in some chemo for a few weeks if my bloods are no better. My summer dose is likely about the same as your large dosage has been - mine are used as an anti-rejection agent so they are alway pretty high.

I am lucky not to still be gaining to be honest, so a STS is a result. However, it's just that I find being hungry most of the time and still not losing is a real drag - you would have thought I would have got used to it now after 7 years on these drugs, but sadly not :sigh:

Annya. It must be so sooooooo hard for you at the mo. Keep plodding on and you will get there.
And as you said the alternative (ie not being here at all) is just unthinkable.
((( Big Hugs ))) and lots of these too :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Latte. Well done chica - it's a titchy gain. Just a *** ahem TMI *** big pooh that hasn't worked it's way out :8855:
You are doing so well hun for starting to lose the steroid gain.
((( Big Hugs ))) to you too and also have some of these :hug99: :hug99: :hug99: :hug99:

Annya that sounds really really tough hun, I think your amazing and really strong, I would have given up with the food thing a long time ago, the fact you put up with being hungry all the time just so you don't gain is nothing short of inspirational. A lady I know has to take high steroids in winter because of her chest, and she struggles with losing weight, I really feel for her cos she is religious with Sw eating and has 2-3 syns a day but doesn't lose much, it's so unfair.

You know what my biggest worry is just now - stuff the weight, it is the fact that I am rapidly losing my hair... to the point where I will have to wear a scarf soon if the doses don't come down as my hair line is receeding at an alarming rate :eek: :cry: Oh, that and my great big "moon" face - a common side effect of long term high dose steroids - my beautiful cheekbones, of which I am usually so proud , have completely disppeared :( I don't even look like me in the mirror just now.................

Last edited:
Annya sending you big big hugs. Hair loss is my biggest fear as well as that can be a side effect of my new drugs.
My hair is very thick naturally curly and is my best feature and when I was on the drugs to put me in to menopause my hair started thinning. I was distraught so I know exactly how you feel x
I assume there are no other steroids you can try as I had a choice of two

Annya sending you big big hugs. Hair loss is my biggest fear as well as that can be a side effect of my new drugs.
My hair is very thick naturally curly and is my best feature and when I was on the drugs to put me in to menopause my hair started thinning. I was distraught so I know exactly how you feel x I am 53 and went into the menopause early at 42 so I lost some hair then, but that slowed down and eventually stopped. I have had my hair in dreads for nearly 30 years now - they are down to my backside and I am very proud of my "hippy hair do". Sadly the weight of them isn't helping the loss at the hairline so they are tied up most of the time now :(
I assume there are no other steroids you can try as I had a choice of two

Sadly no. Prednisolone is the only steroid that can be used for my needs - and they are the ones that have some of the most severe side effects! I had such terrible trouble with the usual chemo type drugs they use with transplant recipients that they changed me over less than 6 months after I had it and I have been on Pred ever since. My problem is that because my immune system is suppressed to stop rejection it means I am open to any and every infection, some of which have the potential to kill me. If I get a chest infection I always end up with pleurisy and pneumonia and have to be hospitalised. Last time was 4 years ago and they had the priest into me and family sitting round my bed waiting for the end that time :eek: One the reasons we choose to live so rurally now is that it means I come into contact with a lot less people and therefore stand a better chance of staying relatively bug-free.

Oh well - another 0.5 kg (1.1 lbs) gain. Over target slightly by about 0.35 kg (¾ lb) so still in range.
I know it's all the carbs as I've had an awful lot since Friday night.
Right - back on it this week and avoid all the bleddy carbs. I feel, and probably look, bloaty on my tum.

Sadly no. Prednisolone is the only steroid that can be used for my needs - and they are the ones that have some of the most severe side effects! I had such terrible trouble with the usual chemo type drugs they use with transplant recipients that they changed me over less than 6 months after I had it and I have been on Pred ever since. My problem is that because my immune system is suppressed to stop rejection it means I am open to any and every infection, some of which have the potential to kill me. If I get a chest infection I always end up with pleurisy and pneumonia and have to be hospitalised. Last time was 4 years ago and they had the priest into me and family sitting round my bed waiting for the end that time :eek: One the reasons we choose to live so rurally now is that it means I come into contact with a lot less people and therefore stand a better chance of staying relatively bug-free.

That sounds really scary!!!! :(

Oh well - another 0.5 kg (1.1 lbs) gain. Over target slightly by about 0.35 kg (¾ lb) so still in range.
I know it's all the carbs as I've had an awful lot since Friday night.
Right - back on it this week and avoid all the bleddy carbs. I feel, and probably look, bloaty on my tum.

No worries Pom - you'll soon pull things back. As I said on your thread, you life over the past few weeks has not exactly been conducive with either loss or maintainence you poor love :grouphugg:

Back