The really slow loss team!

Hi. I'm so glad to find this thread. I've been doing SW for 7 weeks and have only managed to lose 7ibs so far, despite sticking to it religiously. I've done it twice in the past and, on week one, both times, I managed to lose 5ibs. This time round it was only 1ib. Wondering if it's age related! :( I'm definitely going to keep going but it is quite disheartening.

Hi. I'm so glad to find this thread. I've been doing SW for 7 weeks and have only managed to lose 7ibs so far, despite sticking to it religiously. I've done it twice in the past and, on week one, both times, I managed to lose 5ibs. This time round it was only 1ib. Wondering if it's age related! :( I'm definitely going to keep going but it is quite disheartening.
Chocko1 - welcome and don't be disheartened. There's a few lovely ladies on here who would be ecstatic witha 1 lb a week loss.
1 lb a week is the best way to lose it as hopefully you've re-wire your brain whilst losing weight so that you can stay at target then forever.

so do you think the real work begins at maintaing??? I ask because I am trying to sort myself out so I don't think once I get to target its done end of weight problem....

I am changing who I am or going back to who I was before I have fat...... but my brain needs more convincing.... I know it takes work I am just trying to find an acceptance for the fact I will be at sw for the rest of my life....

sound like I am talking rubbish just struggling to get my point across... sorry

Getting to target is definitely not the end of your weight problem. Most of us who got fat have to accept that we over-ate to get into that position and will have to be careful for the rest of our lives. You can never go back to how you used to eat - you'll just get fat again.
So yes - it's SW for life . . . or put the weight back on again.

I wouldn't say that the real work begins once you start maintaining . . . and it isn't hard as such, but . . .
To be successful at getting to target you have to have been very focussed and committed to losing weight.
So what can be hard once you get to target is to actually stop dieting.
You have to work out how much extra food you can eat to maintain a steady weight and not lose or gain too much.
And that can be tricky !!! Took me a few weeks to work it out.
I went shooting up when I got to my first target, got back to it and then lowered my target, got there and then continued to lose (I obviously wasn't eating quite enough) and was about to lower target again when I though STOP. This is where I want to be.

You do have to change your mindset and get your head into a slightly different place when you do reach target. And accept that you'll have to eat sensibly and watch your weight for the rest of your life. And yes - that can be a a bit depressing and daunting at first, but it's actually not that bad. I've been in maintenance mode now for 18 months and to be honest I do feel so much healthier and fitter that I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

The thing is not to panic too much about a small gain - that's life. Normally skinny people do this - they go up and down by a few pounds depending on time of the month, how much they ate the day before, how much exercise they took etc etc. That's why SW gives you 3 lb either way as a "target range". But because we've been focussed on NOT gaining, and conditioned to think of this as bad, it can be pretty hard not to stress about it.

If you have a gain, you just need to have a week being a bit stricter and get rid of it straight away. The knack is not to let the small gains mount up into a big one. Too many people do and then find themselves 7, then 10, then 14 lbs or more over target. I know 2 very succesful ladies on here who both lost over 6 stones but both then gained 2 stones in a matter of weeks of getting to target. Both had what they thought of as valid excuses for their gains - but excuses they were. The simple fact of the matter was they ate too much. They are both now struggling to lose the weight again.

Once I actually stopped going down and reached my 5 stone target last August, I've managed to stay within range ever since then. Apart from 3 separate weeks when I went a bit over so had a stricter week and got back in range immediately. I even actually dipped under range for a few weeks as I said and thought about lowering target again but that would have been silly. It was just a few lbs too far.

I'm a bit worried at the mo as I've had 4 consecutive gains in a row - the first time ever that I've done this since I started on my (very long) journey in September 2006. OK, they were all only little ones but as I was already 2½ lbs over target this has pushed me to 4½ lbs over. OK that's technically only 1½ lbs outside target range but I need to sort it out now before it becomes 7, then 10 etc . . .

Everyone on this thread will tell you that I keep saying:
GETTING YOUR HEAD ROUND LOSING WEIGHT ISN'T PART OF THE BATTLE - IT'S THE WHOLE BATTLE.

Getting your head around maintaining is definitely tricky, but anyone can maintain if they want to.

Sorry that turned into a bit of an essay and a rant. Don't want to sound too evangelical but, unless you have a real medical problem that is stopping you from losing weight then . . .
You just have to keep telling yourself that you CAN lose the weight, and you CAN maintain.

Good luck chica - you can do this.

Last edited:
Chocko1 - welcome and don't be disheartened. There's a few lovely ladies on here who would be ecstatic witha 1 lb a week loss.
1 lb a week is the best way to lose it as hopefully you've re-wire your brain whilst losing weight so that you can stay at target then forever.

Ah, thanks Pommette. That makes me feel so much better about it and, I must admit, I'm really enjoying all the new meals I'm trying out so don't think it'll be too much of a chore! x

Thanks WG - I'm trying. But heaven knows what's going on at the mo.
As you all probably know I'm a daily scale hopper and they are still rising. I've gain 1 kg since Monday!!!!
I really don't have a clue why as it isn't food. I haven't been over-indulging since then.
But I've been a bit stressed as my mum isn't too good again at the mo so I'm probably over-indulging in alcohol.
And I'm not sleeping again which always affects my weight.
I think I need a totally carb free day and see if that will shift things.
Hey ho - just having a cuppa and then off to plan the next few days food to see if I can shift some poundage.

Yes!! I've lost 2 lbs this week! Along with your lovely words of encouragement, Pommette, this is just the boost I needed. :)

Yes!! I've lost 2 lbs this week! Along with your lovely words of encouragement, Pommette, this is just the boost I needed. :)
Well done chica. But are you aware of the rules for the Tortoise Club? :8855:
They're postedf here http://www.minimins.com/slimming-wo...573-really-slow-loss-team-34.html#post4946548
To summarise . . .

There are only 3 rules in the tortoise club and they are easy to remember.
1. Lose more than a pound in a week and you have to head off to the naughty step and join in the party. :D
2. Lose more than a pound in 2 consecutive weeks and not only do you have to go to the naughty step but you are given lines to do as well. :eek:
3. Lose more than a pound in 3 consecutive weeks and . . . well I've never worked out the penalty as noone has done it yet! :cry:
Occasionally you will also have to buy a round of drinks on the naughty step.
This punishment is inflicted for massive weight losses (i.e. more than 2 lbs in a week) or if you are lucky enough to actually get to target.

So get over on that naughty step and start dancing :D

oh my god so glad I have just found this thread! Getting really fed up with SW at the mo, done it 3 times now and given up every time because I get fed up of putting 100% in and getting nothing out. The most iv ever lost is 10lb in about 3/4 months which is ridiculous! Iv been back on it for 3 weeks now and lost like 2/3lbs, WI tomorrow so will know or definite. I just don't know what else I can do :(

oh my god so glad I have just found this thread! Getting really fed up with SW at the mo, done it 3 times now and given up every time because I get fed up of putting 100% in and getting nothing out. The most iv ever lost is 10lb in about 3/4 months which is ridiculous! Iv been back on it for 3 weeks now and lost like 2/3lbs, WI tomorrow so will know or definite. I just don't know what else I can do :(
Stick with it Chloe. Like I said to chocko1 only a couple of days ago an average of 1 lb a week is perfect.
You just need to get you head to accept that and the body will follow!

If you're going to class and seeing people getting big losses - even when they cheat - just ignore them
They usually come a cropper when things catch up with them.

I'll say it again - Just stick to plan and you WILL lose it eventually. Might take some time but you'll get there.

I am at the scary gone from 12 into 11's but keep flitting between the two for last 3 months... driving me crazy now, just need a good one to happen, keep trying..... need to be rid of this terrible looking jelly belly x

Hi everyone.

Nice to read of some losses, so well done. I'm afraid I have had a big blip after going to a birthday meal for a relative, it seemed that I then took the negative course and continued mini binging for a few more days. I have no idea if I have put on weight as we have no scales in the house, but I will find out during the week. Whatever, I am hopping back on the SW bus tomorrow.

The strange thing is that even though we crave all these so called forbidden foods, once you do have them you don't feel so good as you do when sticking to plan. There is something about being on plan that makes you feel at least you are trying!!

Anyway fresh start tomorrow and hope the damage was not too bad. Have a good week everyone. :)

Never mind applewoman - I gained half a pound last week for no apparent reason after a couple of weeks of very small, but nevertheless appreciated, losses. Ho-hum..............

Onwards and downwards now you are back on the wagon - we can do this :)

I've had a very up and down week inclusing being poorly (DGs) all weekend so couldn't decided whether to WI today as I know it will be a false reading due to lack of food and water.

But I did and the scales showed a 1.5 kg loss from last week. That's 3¼ lbs - putting me back in target range at just 1¼ lbs over target.
Most of that is lack of food in the system and I've also had no carbs at all since Friday lunch time as I just couldn't face the stodge last night. Plus no alcohol until yesterday evening will be the reason.

Let's see how this week goes before I celebrate - so no congrats yet . . . it's too early to celebrate any loss really . . . but I'll head to the naughty step and get my purse out if anyone wants to joing me for a cerveza pequeña.

There you go, Pommette. I told you it wouldn't happen again! I put 2 pounds on this week, after having lost two last week, even though I stuck to plan perfectly!! :( I must admit, the other couple of times I've done SW in the past, this was the sort of thing that would put me off going to group because, I'd stick to it religiously, only to find I'd gained at weigh-in sometimes. The Consultant, after checking my food diary, could never say why either. It's so frustrating but I'm definitely sticking with it. It's just so irritating that it always takes me ages to reach target - I could cope with 1lb a week off but a gain for no reason is so annoying! Right. End of rant!! Hope you are all doing OK. :)

Back