The really slow loss team!

. . . The only thing I can think of is that since doing sw I don't use olive oil and I have heard that can reduce cholesterol
Olive oil doesn't reduce your cholesterol to my knowledge. It is however one of the good fats and worth having some in your diet.

My cholesterol levels dropped significantly doing SW. Came down from 5.2 (which is borderlione ok/worrysome) to 3.7.
BUT I got shouted at as my good cholesterol (HDL) was way too low and I was advised to increase my intake of good fats like olives and olive oil. Hence I now spray with olive oil rather than Fry Light - which I think is disgusting anyway!

I have to have it tested again in a couple of months and I just don't know what to do to improve it.... I actually requested the test as I was having blood taken anyway and I thought it must have gone down and wanted something to feel smug about lol....

Totally wracked my brains and can't think what is putting it up

Do you eat loads of prawns as they can raise cholesterol

You do need to ask if it is the good fats outweighing the bad ones as mine was 5.1 the last time but my good fats were so high it pushed the reading over 5 which meant it looked like there was a problem till the dr analysed the results properly and separated the two out

Do you eat loads of prawns as they can raise cholesterol

You do need to ask if it is the good fats outweighing the bad ones as mine was 5.1 the last time but my good fats were so high it pushed the reading over 5 which meant it looked like there was a problem till the dr analysed the results properly and separated the two out

That's what the doctor asked, but I don't eat prawns at all.... I will ask him at the next appointment to analyse the results

BCP - just ask him now for the total, LDL and HDL figures. He should have these.
There's a really good website that tells you all about the types of cholesterol - but can I find it now? Nahhhhh
*** Update *** Found it
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...erol/in-depth/cholesterol-levels/art-20048245

Daily Mail campaign to lower cholesterol suggests these 6 foods help to reduce cholesterol
1. SMART FOODS
2. FIBRE
3. NUTS
4. SOYA
5. HEALTHY OILS
6. OATS
Full article here
The six foods that will cut your cholesterol in just three months... and you don't have to give up cheese, chocolate or your breakfast egg | Mail Online

BCP - just ask him now for the total, LDL and HDL figures. He should have these.
There's a really good website that tells you all about the types of cholesterol - but can I find it now? Nahhhhh
*** Update *** Found it
Cholesterol levels: What numbers should you aim for? - Mayo Clinic

Daily Mail campaign to lower cholesterol suggests these 6 foods help to reduce cholesterol
1. SMART FOODS
2. FIBRE
3. NUTS
4. SOYA
5. HEALTHY OILS
6. OATS
Full article here
The six foods that will cut your cholesterol in just three months... and you don't have to give up cheese, chocolate or your breakfast egg | Mail Online

Thanks Pom...

I get plenty of oats and fibre .... I cut out nuts and healthy oils when I went on sw and I can't do soya because I have a thyroid problem..

I will get the figures from him when I see him on Wednesday :D

.... I cut out nuts and healthy oils when I went on sw and I can't do soya because I have a thyroid problem..
That's exactly what I did - and added them back when I got told off for my good cholesterol and ratio being out of kilter.

I cut out nuts and healthy oils when I went on sw and I can't do soya because I have a thyroid problem.. I will get the figures from him when I see him on Wednesday :D

Don't forget you can have nuts as a HExB - just not very many!

1/2lb off for me this week, so heading in the right direction, still 2.25lbs over target though.

Don't forget you can have nuts as a HExB - just not very many!

1/2lb off for me this week, so heading in the right direction, still 2.25lbs over target though.

Right Patty - you are about the get the same speech that I gave to Latte a while back.
YOU ARE STILL IN TARGET RANGE. So you meed to stop being quite so obsessed.
Naturally thin people gain and lose and do so with monotous regularity.
The difference is they don't panic when they gain a couple of pounds - and usually just have a "light" week to make up for a a "heavy" one.
In fact unless they are obsessive weighers they probably won't even know they've gained. My hubs never did - he just went by the waistband on his jeans.
My hubs maintained his weight for 25 years without thinking about it - and only gained when he gave up the ciggies.

So stop beating yourself up - relax a little and just stick to plan, don't go overboard on teh extras and you'll be fine.

Good morning all, my first half stone gone now so I am so delighted and 2.25lbs off for me this week. I hope you all have had a good week.:)

Well done - and get back on the naughty step with your purse at the ready. You are not supposed to be losing so fast as a member of this group, so this could start getting very expensive for you! No doubt Bev will be along with an appropriate 'punishment soon' :8855:

A great big 1.6 off for me this week

NSV.... have exercised a bit every day for 8 days in a row
NSV.... managed not to scale hop this week... big thing for me

Well done Margaret, but I reckon another week like that and you'll be providing a SW friendly buffet as well as the drinks!

Congratulations to you too, Princess for both the weightloss and the NSVs. I hope you feel better for them. Did you find it helped not getting on the scales daily? It's a habit I have but I only record the WI day weight.

Right Patty - you are about the get the same speech that I gave to Latte a while back.
YOU ARE STILL IN TARGET RANGE. So you meed to stop being quite so obsessed.
Naturally thin people gain and lose and do so with monotous regularity.
The difference is they don't panic when they gain a couple of pounds - and usually just have a "light" week to make up for a a "heavy" one.
In fact unless they are obsessive weighers they probably won't even know they've gained. My hubs never did - he just went by the waistband on his jeans.
My hubs maintained his weight for 25 years without thinking about it - and only gained when he gave up the ciggies.

So stop beating yourself up - relax a little and just stick to plan, don't go overboard on teh extras and you'll be fine.

I'll do my best! I'm finding it difficult going from the 'losing mentality' to the 'maintaining mentality'. I haven't been at target weight since November and I'm a bit afraid of losing control and continuously gaining again. I appreciate that naturally slim people gain and lose all the time, but I'm not naturally slim - and never have been - so I do have to obsess a bit. That said - and I've said this before but I say it again anyway - the major shift in my thinking this time around has been in recognising that there are times, be it one meal, one day or several weeks, when I can't follow the SW principles for whatever reason, but once that time is over, I can get back to them. This, I think, is the closest I'll ever come to thinking like a naturally slim person.

Well done Margaret, but I reckon another week like that and you'll be providing a SW friendly buffet as well as the drinks!

Congratulations to you too, Princess for both the weightloss and the NSVs. I hope you feel better for them. Did you find it helped not getting on the scales daily? It's a habit I have but I only record the WI day weight.

I much prefer weighing daily, but feel I should try not to....

. . . the major shift in my thinking this time around has been in recognising that there are times, be it one meal, one day or several weeks, when I can't follow the SW principles for whatever reason, but once that time is over, I can get back to them. This, I think, is the closest I'll ever come to thinking like a naturally slim person.
And that's exactly the right frame of mind that you need. So well done you for that big shift in thinking.
That's sort of how I approach it. My only probably was it drifted to being 10 lbs over (more news of that later) but I'm back on it now.

Well done - and get back on the naughty step with your purse at the ready. You are not supposed to be losing so fast as a member of this group, so this could start getting very expensive for you! No doubt Bev will be along with an appropriate 'punishment soon' :8855:
Bev here - and yes punishment duly meted out. Margaret - Get on that naughty step and buy some drinks. (but well done)
However, I'm hardly in a position to mete out the punishment. :8855:

I've lost 1.2 kgs this morning (err that's over 2½ lbs) - a biggish loss that is very very rare for me.
Purse out so get on over here and put in your order.
So that's 2 weeks on the naughty step for me with over 1 lb a week.
I'd better be bleddy careful not too lose too much this week as there is no way I'm running round the step - it would kill me! :rotflmao:

PS It also means I'm back under my very original target and have achieved the first of my new mini-goals that I set for 2014.
I'm honestly not sure how I lost that much as I've not been 100% this week by any stretch of the imagination.
But I've done 4 consecutive red days - 3 of which were totally carb-free and I only had 2 very small pieces of roast potato yesterday. The carbs are my big problem as they really do affect my weight - but I love 'em.
cry.gif

Last edited:
What a fab start to 2014 pomme x

Woop woop Bev :D

Back