The Rest of My Fabulous Life Challenge

Thanks Debbie - yes it was worth it!

I think I burnt a few thousand cals working on the meal and serving and clearing. We have a sort of unspoken rule at these do's. There are 8 of us (4 couples) and we each take a turn hosting and the host and hostess do it all. No help from guests. That way no-one feels guilty for pitching in and when it is our turn to be the guests we can be totally lazy and enjoy. Works really well. Especially now that my OH has got better at helping. He used to just open the wine and that wa sit, now he really helps me lots which is great.

Anyway, Monday morning, off to work. Aiming for a good restrained day today.

Oh flip - where has my 'I can conquer the world feeling' gone? I just don;t understand how I can go from Mrs Commitment to Mrs Couldn't Careless in a matter of days. I'm not being too bad but I'm sure not being too good.

I think it's because of all this social stuff coming up; it feels pointless, yet I KNOW it's not if only from a damage limitation point of view.

Yes, well, the signature says it all really. Fairly fed up with myself. Really worried that February is going to be spent putting January's loss back on!

I'm sinking into despair, lost without trace, probably not a bad idea!

Yes, well, the signature says it all really. Fairly fed up with myself. Really worried that February is going to be spent putting January's loss back on!

Eeek. Come on Barb. This is the perfect time to strengthen your commitment. You don't get good at this lark by conquering the easy battles. Conquering the struggles is the best way to give you strength.

I wrote something a few days ago about the difference between wanting to be slim, or being committed. That's being committed to losing weight, not 'being committed' :D

I'll précis it here.
Wanting it but not committed means that you can do it until something better comes along. You can manage whilst it's still easy and there is little to throw you off. You do it when you feel like it and need to see results to keep you going.

Committed means that you will do it whatever. You just keep on chugging. However tough it seems, you work on through it. However you feel, you do it anyway.

Really worried that February is going to be spent putting January's loss back on!
That is entirely your choice Barb, you know that ;)

So come on, this is a new Barb. This one is truly committed and even though things are tough, do it anyway.

I know....harsh words from KD:eek:, but lots of hugs too Barb.

Anyway Barb. What's your challenge for this 'season'. 6lbs off by the end of March seems doable. Yes? I need to see one:p

Crumbs, you're a hard taskmaster KD - Thank Goodness!

Ok, yes I did feel really down this morning. So did I dive into the biccie tin? No! Have I eaten crisps with my lunch? No!

I've decided to give my body a treat! A real treat, thats pamper it with fresh fruits (melon, strawberries and cherries so far), have a 'luxury' lunch of prawn salad and drink plenty of water!

I'm not giving in! I can reverse this trend quite easily and still see 2-3lbs off by the end of Feb. I know it's my choice KD and most of the time I don't forget that. I just don't understand where my totally 'ostrich' moments come from. Why does my mind decide to conveniently forget everything I've learned and go on a mad 'nothing works lets give up' rant? Why do I want to stamp my feet and feel sorry for myself?

I know I can make this work; I'm deliberately not over pressuring myself, so why do I still go AWOL?

So, here's the plan, for those who've not lost patience with me!

Keep it very light today; healthy tasty stuff.
Stay OFF the scales (they have definately unhinged me this week) till next wednesday.
Accept and enjoy the treats for Valentines that my lovely OH has planned (thats Thursday night dinner, Saturday night dinner and Sunday morning breakfast!!!!!!!)
Back to very light from Sunday after breakfast.

My aim is to be back at 8lbs off by next wednesday = 3lbs to go between now and then, ambitious but do-able.
Then a further 4lbs off by the end of Feb.
March - I would like to see a steady 1-1.5lbs a week off. So 4-6lbs by the end of March.

I have to find ways round my social life so that 'celebration' type eating and drinking are allowed for and don't extend beyond the occasion, that is definately my biggest downfall.

Ok, hope the above is OK with you KD. I'm sure you'll be along to let me know.

Thank you, as always KD, for your never ending patience and support. I appreciate the hugs too. Right back at you!!

Love

I just don't understand where my totally 'ostrich' moments come from.

It happens in maintenance too. I think of it as climbing a mountain to get to the most beautiful view ever.

You can carry on climbing (lose weight)
You can stop, sit down, and admire the view (maintain your weight)
You can turn around and start running run back again (phew...so easy....all downhill)

Sitting and admiring the view is all well and good, as long as you keep admiring it. You fall asleep and you start sliding down that mountain without noticing:eek:

The ostrich syndrome is one of the hardest battles to defeat, because by it's very definition, you aren't seeing it, it's just not in view. If you can recognise it though, it's one of the most worthwhile battles to win, because if you can stay aware, you can pick yourself up again quicker.

Anyway, sounds like you are picking up really quick this time Barb. You've come a long way :clap:

I love your analogies KD - they are always spot on.

Thing is I don't want to slip back; but better to slip a little, catch myself doing it and then make a concerted effort to climb again than to just say, 'I've fallen too far; I GIVE UP!'

Thats not me; this is going to take a long time, I may well stop and enjoy the view occasionally but I really, really want to see the view from the top!

Still here walking the walk beside you Barb xx

Thanks Debbie - that really does help. If it was easy we'd have done it by now, so when we get there it will be because we deserve to!

love

I've done well today. Stuck with the healthy stuff. Made a chicken curry and rice for dinner, ate about a third and then just had had enough, so stopped!!!! Haven't cal counted but know I've come in at well under 1200. Very pleased. Tomorrow may not be so good but I'll do my best!

Come on Barb...xxx You cannot go AWOL on us...not allowed!!!!...lol

You are one of the strongest women I know on here and you ALWAYS find a way to do what you want need to do to get the results.:D:D:D

I've done well today. Stuck with the healthy stuff. Made a chicken curry and rice for dinner, ate about a third and then just had had enough, so stopped!!!! Haven't cal counted but know I've come in at well under 1200. Very pleased. Tomorrow may not be so good but I'll do my best!

Now I've read this post I can see the Barb that I know at her best!! ;):D

Yeah! :clap: That's it Barb!! You've turned it around again. Hey, you are so good at this :clap:

Shucks Isis, I didn't mean to nearly disappear, just let things get on top of me! Thanks KD, yes I have turned things around already, I am getting better at this I know.

I feel quietly determined, soooooooooo goooood to have that feeling back. It is weird how it goes AWOL but it's back and so am I!

Going to keep very light foodwise today as out tonight. I can do this. Just must keep a hold of the plot!

Further update - just ordered a York cross trainer from Tesco! Had a 'walking' machine in 2002 and that REALLY helped me to lose 4stone. Eventually it broke (twice actually) and OH wasn't keen on getting another one, not least because I used it upstairs in the spare room and it made quite a noise.

Last night we had a heart to heart and I think he realised that I am determined to lose weight and get fitter as I really am fed up with myself. Much to my surprise he said, ' why don't you get another walker, a better more up market one and I'll make space for you and it in the garage and put a TV in there for you!'! Gobsmacked doesn't begin to cover it. I am so chuffed, I used the last one in conjunction with cal counting. So if we were going out I would do an extra half hour and burn 250-400 cals in advance, damage limitation! I got in the habit of doing at least 40 mins every day without fail and it worked.

So I am not a gym-bunny, or a class-joiner. I did the swimming but only really enjoyed it in the Summer. This will work, it's exactly the boost I need.

Bonus - it was half price!!! It's coming next wednesday!!!

Really nice time last night, had a lovely Valentines dinner out with OH and sis and her OH. Didn't over indulge too much at all. We had sharing platters of seafood and then meat etc... OH had a good 75% so that worked quite well.

Started running a roaring temperature in the night and it is still high. I ache and feel light headed so a quiet day for me today.

Your evening sounded lovely Barb. There seems to be a lot of 'bug type things' going around right now to give yourself some TLC. Have you got any echinacea? It works like magic ... I stopped a cold in its tracks last week before it had a chance to take hold.

Damn, no I haven't - does red wine work in the same way? I've got plenty of that. Not for now of course, it's a bit early even for me. But maybe this evening?

No, your right, I'll go get some echinacea!

Feeling a bit better today, but not right. Still feel a bit 'fluey' but not too bad. Want to feel good for tonight as we are off out and staying in a lovely new 'boutique' hotel as a further valentine's treat. Spoilt - that's me!

Good day foodwise yesterday - wasn't proper hungry so didn't really have meals. Probably had about 1400 cals in tea and biscuits, soup and ice-cream.

Know that tonight is going to be calorific but will claw back over the next few days. Must and will see that gain reversed this week.

Back