The role of the CDC... how are they 'chosen'...

la_tinkerbelle

Hiya, I have a question please about how people become CDC's...

Are CDC's just people who have lost weight successfully on this diet, do they have to keep all the weight off in order to remain a CDC? Do they have to take any specific course, or excuse me for being blunt, could any bored housewife do it as a way to make money? (I do apologise for how that sounds but couldn't think of another way to word it in order to ask the real point of my question...)...

Are all CDC 'taught'/trained the same things? Cos my CDC said that it was ok to do SS and just have some chicken if needed, without doing SS+, she said Coke Zero is fine, and that none of the sweet packs should be had warm and that the tetras shouldn't be frozen... how come one CDC will say/advise one thing and another will advise differently? I love this site in that everyone comes up with new ideas for utilising the packs - surely as long as the right number of packs are being consumed with the water, any CDC should be supportive of their clients ability to succeed at this, even if a bit of tweaking such as having 'ice cream' in a frozen tetra, is needed...?

I'm not having a dig at anyone, just that one of the reasons I'm going it alone at the moment on my re-start is that my CDC didn't install me with a lot of confidence last time as everything she said is counteracted by the CDC's here on this site... Plus, and again I'm not knocking her ability being a CDC, she is very overweight herself and everytime I saw her she would discuss her own inability to stick to the diet and how it was too hard for her...

I dunno, I guess I just want some advice - I really, really want someone 'in my corner' to encourage me and say 'well done' and to offer sound sensible 'proper' CD advice, like on here only in real life as I have no-one here to support me with this... I used to do RC and just going to a class each week and being praised for losing a few pounds each week really motivated and helped me... and I thought that would come with the CDC too, are there guidelines and requirements for being a CDC? It just seems like after reading some of the posts on here, sometimes a lot of people are confused either by what their CDC either has or hasn't advised...

I really would love to hear from either CDC's or people with supportive/less than supportive CDC's cos at the end of this month I will need to find more CD stock if I'm to continue and my last experience with the CDC kinda knocked my faith in things a bit... I really want to do this diet, I want to be slimmer so much, but I know I find it so so hard to do sometimes and add into it a CDC who I don't have faith in and I'm worried about my committing long-term...

Many many thanks! :)

tinks x

Hiya, I have a question please about how people become CDC's...

Are CDC's just people who have lost weight successfully on this diet, do they have to keep all the weight off in order to remain a CDC? Do they have to take any specific course, or excuse me for being blunt, could any bored housewife do it as a way to make money? (I do apologise for how that sounds but couldn't think of another way to word it in order to ask the real point of my question...)...

Cdc's are dieters who have lost weight successfully and choose to share their success with others by helping them lose weight - at least that is my take on it, others may be different

Are all CDC 'taught'/trained the same things? Cos my CDC said that it was ok to do SS and just have some chicken if needed, without doing SS+, she said Coke Zero is fine, and that none of the sweet packs should be had warm and that the tetras shouldn't be frozen... how come one CDC will say/advise one thing and another will advise differently? I love this site in that everyone comes up with new ideas for utilising the packs - surely as long as the right number of packs are being consumed with the water, any CDC should be supportive of their clients ability to succeed at this, even if a bit of tweaking such as having 'ice cream' in a frozen tetra, is needed...?

All taught the same at training day - if you are adding food you are not doing SS - Coke Zero is no longer allowed. Hot sweet packs are allowed, and frozen tetras - as long as you don't cook more than one pack a day (by cook meaning muffins or crisps)

I'm not having a dig at anyone, just that one of the reasons I'm going it alone at the moment on my re-start is that my CDC didn't install me with a lot of confidence last time as everything she said is counteracted by the CDC's here on this site... Plus, and again I'm not knocking her ability being a CDC, she is very overweight herself and everytime I saw her she would discuss her own inability to stick to the diet and how it was too hard for her...

If you are not happy with your CDC then ring round some of the others in your local area and see who you click better with.

I dunno, I guess I just want some advice - I really, really want someone 'in my corner' to encourage me and say 'well done' and to offer sound sensible 'proper' CD advice, like on here only in real life as I have no-one here to support me with this... I used to do RC and just going to a class each week and being praised for losing a few pounds each week really motivated and helped me... and I thought that would come with the CDC too, are there guidelines and requirements for being a CDC? It just seems like after reading some of the posts on here, sometimes a lot of people are confused either by what their CDC either has or hasn't advised...

I really would love to hear from either CDC's or people with supportive/less than supportive CDC's cos at the end of this month I will need to find more CD stock if I'm to continue and my last experience with the CDC kinda knocked my faith in things a bit... I really want to do this diet, I want to be slimmer so much, but I know I find it so so hard to do sometimes and add into it a CDC who I don't have faith in and I'm worried about my committing long-term...

Many many thanks! :)

tinks x

Hi Tinks

I have answered some of your q's on here - as far as becoming a CDC goes you need o speak with your CDC as he/she will need to sponsor you :)

Post your losses on here - theres loads of us to pat you on the back and support you!!

I agree with Nicky in that nearly all CDC's are ex CD-ers who have successfully lost weight on CD themselves and want to pass it onto others. You can become a CDC by not having done the diet to lose weight - but have to do SS for a minimum of 2weeks I believe.

Training days are now 2days and there are modules to complete, plus regular notes, letters etc coming out which should keep CDC's up to date.

I'm afraid I'm a CDC who has regained some of my weight ... and am struggling to re-lose it. I work very hard to motivate my clients though and as such think my abilities to help someone with the diet are still as good ... maybe others will disagree. But I would agree with Nicky that if you are not happy, definately move to another CDC as this is your weight loss journey and you must have a raport with your CDC.

my cdc says i should be doing ss till GOAL weight, everyone here says untill bmi under 25.
she also didnt say there was a limit to the water flavouring, or how many bars you have a day.
she never even told me abot mam or the savory drink.
she told me smints were fine on ss
she said i could have bars from day one..............
loads of stuff that has been said the other way on here.
i have also got 5 people started with her in the last 5 weeks, and feel a bit guilty as what shes saying sometimes isnt right.
dunno what to do about that??
she is the only cdc in our area of a massive size.
its 15 miles for me to get to her, and when i dont drive it takes an hour on the bus.
shes the only one around for miles.
i just get my stuff, get weighed quick and go.
which is why i feel bad about indroducing her to people!
she is a size 8/10 never been any bigger, and only did the diet for a week she said, because she had to!!
i'd like to be one and hopefully shes gonna give me all the nessescary paper work.

sorry for the rant guys!!

is there anymore in your area you could try?? x

Hi,

My CDC here in The Netherlands said smint and sugarfree gum are fine if you don't overuse it. They do not add much, but they do hold a few calories each. I use smints sometimes because my breath smells SO bad and smints are easy to take with you (compared to a big bottle of mouth wash....). :)

Are smints allowed here(UK version) too ?

As counsellors we are all trained to a level and also have a code of conduct which we follow. I am glad to say the majority of counsellors offer strong, good, empathetic advice but as with all things there are some not so good counsellors and hence if you are ever concerned at the service you are getting then ask someone like Lesly Cambridge, Cd Counsellor or myself and we can put you in touch with someone who can help.

I went into Boots last week and the girl on the till completely ignored me and when I asked a question was too busy talking to her friend to take notice of what I was saying, to me it was her that was the problem and not the organisation and hence I simply asked a little louder the 2nd time and then all was well :)

Mike

Well put, Mike, and I'm sorry, Tinks, that I didn't answer your first post properly.

As with all organisations, our training methods have changed over the years, and there are some Counsellors who haven't kept up, or who choose to break the rules. Some are new and some are old - like me!

But if you're contemplating using CD, look on the website and call all the Counsellors who are convenient for you, then choose the one with whom you feel a real rapport.

And if you feel that you aren't receiving the kind of service that we have promised to provide, please don't be afraid to complain, and then try another Counsellor.

thanks guys for your replies...

honestly she was a lovely lady, but everything missmf says could be written about my CDC too... I was given bars from day one, she said to exercise as much as I want, and told me the name of a supermarket brand of fizzy water I could have as much as I want of, but actually don't think I can cos its got citric acid in it...

I just feel like if I didn't have the 'net and this great site, I'd be taken this womens word for things affecting my health and she doesn't seem to be fully informed or giving out the right info...

Thanks, I will look around and see if there is another CDC that serves this area...

tinks x

i feel excatly like you tinks, if it wasn't for this site, god knows where i'd be so thanks everyone!!

thanks lesley, but dont think there is another one round here, so i think i'll just keep getting my stuff from her and coming on here for support.

she also told me, at the beginning, to aim for 1/2 a stone lighter than what i want as i'm bound to put on about half a stone when i start eating properly again, is that right??
dont know if it will be good for me (5"6)to go to 8 1/2 stone (she never asked what my goal was, i told her last week.)

she is a nice person, so feel a bit bad about saying these things about her, but dont want her to pass on the wrong info to my friends also.
hard one!! x

this may be a bit of a personal question, but it could sway my decision, if you become a cdc does what you earn represent the amount you would earn doing a full time job or is it more of a sideline job???

i'm trying to get out of the rut i am suffering with work and the moment and would love to do something for others like this... not yet maybe, but definately when i get to goal x

All very interesting. My CDC is very good and I hope to be a CDC one day when I get to goal, I dont think you are getting the best out of your counsellor and I think you need to complain. It isnt fair that you are being told to exercise from the start, you need to be careful.

she also told me, at the beginning, to aim for 1/2 a stone lighter than what i want as i'm bound to put on about half a stone when i start eating properly again, is that right??

Ah now that is what used to happen 17 odd years ago when I first did the diet. Things have changed. You now (if eligible) do SS to a stone over BMI 25 (roughly), then work your weigh up the plans in order to lose the rest of the weight and stabilise, therefore not needing to go half a stone under your goal weight.

this may be a bit of a personal question, but it could sway my decision, if you become a cdc does what you earn represent the amount you would earn doing a full time job or is it more of a sideline job???

i'm trying to get out of the rut i am suffering with work and the moment and would love to do something for others like this... not yet maybe, but definately when i get to goal x

Its a virtually impossible question to answer I'm afraid. Different counsellors earn different amounts because they have different numbers of customers.

However I left the rat race, one thing lead to another and I'm now successfully bringing in the second income that means we have a couple of holidays a year and I'm not particularly on a budget. Although compared to football players and rock stars, I'm certainly not rich!

It's not a get rich quick scheme by any means. But done right with hard work and luck, yes it is possible to earn a living and many do. Others only want to do it as a spare time thing and earn a bit.

I became a counsellor after going to see one in Harrogate who instilled me with the confidence to do it.
If you believe in what you are doing and are not just doing it to earn money, your natural enthusiasm comes across.
I actually started with the thoughts "I'll give it a go and see what happens", 8 months down the line it is so rewarding, not just financially, but when I see my customers faces when they reach a milestone, I get such a buzz. I travel to every customer and have not upped my prices to cover the fuel increases. I even get texts telling me when they "get into size 12 jeans" for the first time since god knows when.
I must admit, I have told people that coke zero can be drunk, but only if they feel nothing else will do and only one.
Most CDC's have been there and have lost the weight, I myself am honest and tell people that I lost mine (5st plus) with LL but came to Cambridge when I put weight back on last year.
I never lie about the diet being quite hard to start but always try to encourage and reassure customers by taking time with them, as long as they need, to make sure they are okay.
At the end of the day, I have been there and like most people work at not going back. I can only hope my experience instills confidence in others to succeed.

Back