The Secret Diary Of A Fat Girl..Has Her Mojo Back.. And It's here To Stay!

Had a funny day yesterday, and today I've had a few jelly beans, I don't know why! grrr! The old 'well you've just ate jelly beans so you may as well carry on with the self sabotage' popped into my head, but I'm not doing it! Will continue with TFR and have a shake soon. I just need to vent a bit!..

Took my eldest to his orthoptics appointment today, which went all good, he's got to have new shoes again!

Also I took him to see the Dr this morning about his weight. My son is overweight, on a bmi chart he is obese. He has lots of weight on his arms, chest and stomach, nothing on his actual bum and legs. The problem started just over 3 years ago, when he began limping and having pains in his legs, walking became very difficult and painful and he would cry all the time, so exercise went out.

He was then diagnosed, and the last 3 years has been about operations, recovery, physio etc. My lad was never still before this, he was riding his bike, scootering, climbing and he'd be in the garden running and playing all day til he collapsed from tierednes.

He has piled weight on in the last 3 years. Exercise is difficult, because his leg gets tired, moving is awkward, his overall fitness is bad, but it's not entirely his fault. Now we need help to get this weight off.

I thought a trip to the Dr's and we could get pointed in the right direction to a dietician or a nurse or something. I don't know about what children need calorific wise etc I just wanted a bit of support and some sort of guidance, we came away with bugger all! :mad:

The Dr said he needs to exercise, change the food and that was it. It angers me so much! In the news it's all over the place about the growing concern of obese and overweight children, the government telling us to get GP support etc and we can't get it!

I just wanted some sort of help and guidance.

The last 3-4 months he's had no sweets, cakes, biscuits, crisps etc in the week, and he's had a small treat at the weekend. He's having his breakfast cereals, then a packed lunch (sarnies, yoghurt and a tracker bar or Go Ahead or Medley cereal bar) then he comes home and has his dinner and pudding. Pudding is usually a fromage frais, yoghurt or a small mousse. His dinners aren't chips, pizza etc and he hasn't lost any weight at all.

He goes swimming on a Sunday (he has proper lessons. He can swim without support, but these are intensive lessons, teaching confidence and strength, technique in the water, they learn proper strokes and dives etc) he does P.E at school and does more activity at the weekend, even with this and the food he should loose something but he's not :(

I'm worried that there could be something else wrong, with his growth or something. He doesn't seem to be getting any taller.(going to look into that and check that against his Perthes) he just seems to be getting rounder and rounder.

There are bigger kids than him and I'm probablly making him sounds bigger than what he is. He's 9 in December and he wears 12-13 trackie bottoms and depending on the type of top, he wears a 12-13/13-14 everything has to be altered in the leg as they're too long for him.

So I'm just banging my head against the wall, with what to do at the moment. I've been and bought him a Wii Fit Plus today (£65 at Morrisons instead of £90) he use that for a bit after school, also looking into gentle exercise dvd's (with the weather changing and the dark nights, it's awkward doing things outside)

He is a very fussy eater! He doesn't like anything spicy, hot or curried, he won't even eat a bit of cod in batter, like the Birds Eye ones. He won't eat pieces of meat or chicken but I think if it was chopped up like in a stew then he'd be likely to try it.

So I'm thinking of trying him on WW or SW, I'm thinking more along the lines of SW as there's no weighing, I haven't done SW for years so I'm not sure how it's changed. I'll have to check what calories he should be having and go with it and order the books from Ebay, does anyone know which books I should be looking out for, to start of with?

It's been in the papers and on the news that children with weight problems have been going to SW with the consent of their GP's and it's been working for them, our Dr was useless so he can't go to he meetings, I just need the books...

So if anyone has any ideas of what SW books I need to get from Ebay, please let me know. (I'll post some links after to what I find) or if you think WW would be easier? If you know of gentle exercise dvd's that don't require weights, or mad sit ups etc?

Hi, not been around too much, back at work and then signed on for college this week so eveythjngs been mad. I've been keeping to the diet, actually had chips and pie today because my sister was visiting but other than that only had a chicken sandwich so I'm going with not too bad really. I get weighed Tuesday which I'm looking forward to, but this week the closer it's got the harder I've found it to stick to. It's like I'm trying to sabotage myself did the weigh in, but so far so good.
I actually thought i'c reply about your son and his weight, mainly because of my weight problem I've always been conscious with the kids ( you know to try big to give them my hang ups etc, and have if bf natural fog them to make the right decisions.)

Firstly, if he is overweight he's still growing, even if it's slow it'll bf fits and starts. When they try to sort out child's weight issues they don't generally do dirts, more just watching what they eat. The main problem generally is portion control. Like u said he eats healthy food but it could be he eats too much, we tend to give kids what we have because we look at less and think it doesn't seem like much but it's a child's portion.
For example j was talking to my sister today about our 4 yr olds packe lunches, they both started school. She said do u give her a full sandwich and j said yes, she said so 2 pieces of bread and I said no, one piece if granary bread folded in half, so two little squares, one apple and some skips, or yoghurt. She's been giving hers 2 slices of bread, but to me that's an adult portion so way to much fox s kid but it becomes normal.

My 11 and 4 yr olds plates that they have there meals on are tea plate size, because over the years people's plates and bowls have gig bigger and bigger and we fill them accordingly. So they don't need the extra food.

Regarding the picky eating I have ins who would eat anything and another that at one point would only eat pasta in tomatoey sauce because she refused everything when she was little and u gave in. When I had the second and she'd eat anything I thought sod this and spent a lot of time training her out of it. So essentially didn't forced meals down her but if it was sausages and mash I'd add 5 or 6 sliced carrots, three of 4 broccoli trees and when she complained say well you only need to eat 2 of each, so it seemed less overwhelming and she felt like she was getting away with it. I dud this with every new food I brought in. I also explained you have to try something atleast 16 times to decide if u don't like something whilst your taste adjust. She now ears most things, even sprouts! Her favouritemeal is now roast chicken with broccoli cabbage carrots and potatoes so it can be done just perserve, and if she wouldn't 't eat it there'c be nothing after ANC I stuck to that so she ate it as she wanted her pudding.

To measure I wouldn't weigh him particularly due to his age, just maybe start a measuring wall. Mark and date it and keep doing it. If he just remains the same as he grows he'll grow into the healthy weight because of u.

And lastly as regard excercise. Only u know what he can manage but that won't affect his weight along as he's not eating too much. He'd lose more with exercise but you can still lose weight with none, I know I did the first time ANC a fair few WWatchers who had back or joint problems.

Wow that was long, hope there is something there that might help :)

Hi bunny. I'm sorry you're feeling so depressed. He does seem ( lunchwise ) to be eating lots of carbs. Does he like cucumber and carrot sticks with a dip instead of the cereal bars?
On the SW front he would be free if you went with him together. Although it's a plan for 11 years and up. They don't try and get the kids to lose weight though just to make healthy changes.
Although if you look on the website the section you need to look for is called 'free to go '
I don't think it's a members only section but if it is pm me

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

On the exercise front can he swim?
Water aerobics would be good and you could do it together and it won't put too much stress on his joints

Hi bunny. I'm sorry you're feeling so depressed. He does seem ( lunchwise ) to be eating lots of carbs. Does he like cucumber and carrot sticks with a dip instead of the cereal bars?
On the SW front he would be free if you went with him together. Although it's a plan for 11 years and up. They don't try and get the kids to lose weight though just to make healthy changes.
Although if you look on the website the section you need to look for is called 'free to go '
I don't think it's a members only section but if it is pm me

He doesn't like salad at all! He is extremely fussy with food. I was exactly the same, and still am in certain things. He has mentioned wanting to try school dinners. I have a copy of the menu (I'll put it up so you can see what you think) and we went through it to see what he would eat. He would avoid anything curried, spicy, hot, garlic bread and there are things he could have, but I'm not sure whether it's the right thing to do.

If he has a school lunch, I can't control that, plus when he comes home he'll have a dinner, so I'm not sure there.

I've looked on the SW site, and the Free2Go is for 11 and up and he's 8, 9 in December so they wouldn't allow me to have that info. ( may give them a call) I don't have any support from GP so I can't get the GP involved.

If it was a case of just chunkyness etc I wouldn't be as worried, but this is proper fat, and I don't want it for him, I have to help him.

On the exercise front can he swim?
Water aerobics would be good and you could do it together and it won't put too much stress on his joints

He can swim, he loves it! He started to learn with armbands when he was having hydrotherapy. For nearly a year, he's been having intensive lessons that teach kids how to swim, correct strokes, confidence in the water, strength, dives, swimming underwater etc. It isn't like normal swimming lessons, they're excellent! He does that on a Sunday.

In the week he doesn't do anything, apart from going to school and coming home. I have just bought him a Wii fit plus so I'm going to get him to do that everyday.

I spoke to our local leisure center and they do an hour at the weekend called Fitkids, they're allowed to use the gym, swim or sports hall for an hour as part of the Fitkids group, led by one of the instructors, the activities differ each week. I'm going to take him there next Saturday and speak with the instructor about that.

The exercise I have pretty much got sorted, it's just the food...I just don't know what the hell to do.

Ok what about a few appointments with a nutritionist. It would about £30 per session but they should be able to give you some help that the doc can't .
It would be worth it even if it just put your mind to rest. You're obviously getting wound up by it and that won't do either of you any good.
From what I've seen around here the primary school menus are well balanced nutritionally so hopefully yours would be the same. Where do you live?

This is the link for the schools lunch menu

I like it, and we've found something that he can have most days with it. I don't know whether to let him try it for a few weeks, but I'm unsure on what he should have for his dinner when he comes home if he has a meal at school.

I've emailed SW and asked them if despite his age could I still take him. There's no way I could sneak him in and pass him off as 11 but I could try and pass him off for 10, seeing as he's only 14 months away from being 10. I only want to go and get the books, we won't attend the classes. I've looked on Ebay and there isn't anything on Free2Go just the regular starter packs.

I'm not sure about the menu personally. Too many chips and pastry products for me. They wouldn't be allowed to put them on here.
If he was going to eat at school I think I'd be doing things like homemade soups or casseroles for tea that way you've got balance.

I'm not sure the kids get separate books as the info will be the same it's the class you need to stay to so he gets the encouragement and support to change his thinking about what he eats

I don't think the classes will be any good really, he's only 8 he doesn't want to sit and listen to a load of going on and I don't want him to feel like he's on a diet and following a plan, I think it's too much for a child of such a young age, I was hoping that I he would see his new foods as a change etc and it's me that would work out his meals etc etc I don't think it's right that he gets involved in knowing the ins and outs, it could give him a complex...and it effects him already. If you think the books would be the same thing, then I'll just order them off Ebay.

I'm glad you said that about the school meals. They do sound nice, but I was thinking it was just a mass carb fast really. Maybe I'd be better sticking him with packed lunches, I just want what's best.

Well today is going good so far...glad the day is nearly finished though, the first day back to 100% is always the toughest. The kids have been out all day with my mum at The Scarecrow Festival at Belbroughton, it goes all for a whole weekend. They've had so much fun, been on horse and carts, helicopter, rides, tombola stalls etc etc I stayed at home and caught up with housework and had me time :) Nearly time for the lovely Gary Barlow on X-Factor!

the reason I asked where you live earlier was because yesterday I found an article locally about community health trainers. It looks like they are around the country.
My daughter is going to uni next year to study nutrition and dietetics. and needs work placements before she goes and I spoke to these people.
they work with the community giving health/weight advice amonsgt other things so if you can find one they would help you with ideas for your son.
If youre going to buy the books off ebay get the newer ones as they have the extra easy plan in them as the main plan rather than red or green days. Extra easy will work best for him as he likes his carbs I presume :) the newer ones are a kind of light green colour.

I'll have a look out for those, or when I go to the Dr's next I'll ask at the reception. The school nurse is useless, I wanted to meet with her a few years back and she never got back in touch. The school is very good and they've been very supportive with my lad...just seems some things you'll only get somewhere by doing it yourself..

I'll see how much it will cost for me to join SW to get the books, then compare the difference on Ebay, there is different ones on there.

Can't believe it's npt even 11pm and I'm already in bed, with the laptop, will watch something on there, there's nothing on the tv tonight. X-Factor was good, I think Jude will win it, I think that's her name, she auditioned with Adele's song, I also think that young lad, is it Frankie, he'll make the final. I really like the hairdresser who's a big ish girl, she's got a great voice, I hope she makes it. :)

Haven't long been back from the ex's with my lad, nice to be back home, in the comfort of my bed with the laptop..I'm living in bed just lately, I'll start growing roots lol! Kids are at my mums, they'll have dinner and swimming later, so I'm just chilling. Weather is awful, and my grass needs cutting!

If you look in Karen, want to say got your message hun.... big thanks :bighug:

Day 3 today (26/09/2011) and It's going good so far. Today will be 100%, I can feel it in my waters lol!

Have been to town this morning, for a few bits and pieces. Have got the kids meals all sorted for this week, so I shouldn't need to go anyway near the supermarket after tomorrow :)

Had a quick look in Asda at the clothes. I saw a lovely knitted long tunic in charcoal (also had them in beige, teal and purple) was only £14 and I think it's long enough to cover my asses lol! I didn't try it on though, in case I looked awful again, will wait and see next month.

I did see a gorgeous purple dressing gown, which I want, if I'm good today I'm going to get it tomorrow :) I haven't had a dressing gown in a few years, I wanted one last year but they were toooooooooo small :(

Yes I second that I hope you bought it!! I always nick my oh gown (or gownie as it is now known lol) his is big and fluffy and makes me feel warm on the inside and out!!

But most of all it smells like him :)

Have you had a good day?! Xx

Yep, I did get that dressing gown :)

It's a lovely deep purple with a big snuggly hood. It'll fits nice, but when I've lost more weight it'll be better so I can get well wrapped up :) I spotted some really nice pj's too. They had some lovely Garfield ones and Betty Boop :)

Have been to my course again today, still really fun and they people are really nice. A lot more relaxed now. Really must go and get my student ID sorted, the discounts in shops are really good and I can use on Amazon too :)

Was a little naughty yesterday, had a few teaspoons of veg, it doesn't really make much difference, but it's not what I wanted to do. Will be 100% today :)

My eldest has had school lunches since Monday, he seems to be ok with them, today they have a roast chicken lunch, see how he does with that, he's never had a roasted dinner.

My youngest is at school for the whole day today, first day being gone all day :(

You can do the student card online. The college ID doesn't get you discounts it's the student NUS card you need. Google it.
You can get a free one but the one that you pay £11.00 for is so much better . Definatelyvworth the money .
You order it and it gets sent to the college and you collect it from there. It's to stop anyone ordering them

Did you ask the school to make a note of what he eats so you can monitor it?

I think there must be two cards as the card that everyone else has and my tutor was free and they can use it at Dorothy Perkins, Burtons, Peacocks, the cinema, McDonalds, Amazon, New Look etc etc They had to go into the college and have the photo taken then they got it there and then....

Son no1 came home yesterday and said lunch was awful yesterday, he said it was chicken nugget without the batter on and he didn't eat that..Wednesday is roast lunch day and he didnt't it, he said he had bread and chips, but chips aren't on the menu for Wednesdays, so I'm a little confused as to what he did eat.

I'm going to give him another full week on them and then put him back on packed lunches so I can control what he's eating...I don't like the fact he can freely have cake and custard or ice bun etc for a pudding (they do other things too but he wouldn't choose those)

I have the SW books now and the Free 2 Go book,(thanks to the lovely Karen) so I'm going to give that a good read and plan things :)

Was 100% yesterday, minus a piece of omellette which I had to test, but eggs are ok so not too bad. Blitzed the whole of upstairs yesterday, and didn't sit down til 8pm last night. Have my built in cupboard in my room to sort through then I'm hoping to cut my lawns, i've got a jungle growing out there!!

Have been 100% today, am finally back into ketosis, no hunger or cravings now :)

Have been busy today in the back garden, mowed and strimmed, cleaned the shed and did a good old tidy up out there! Then came in and hoovered all the stairs and hall ways, am ready for bed I think ;)

My lad had a go on the Wii fit tonight, he tried a few things, seems to really like it. I had a quick go on the hula hoop, I'm hopeless lol! I can hula with a real hoop though...weird lol! :)

Back