The size 18 dress that really isn't an 18!

Caz

Repeat Offender
I bought a dress a while ago. It was only a week or two into the diet and I'd planned to be fitting into it about now. Still nowhere near! It said on the tag it was an 18, it was from a charity shop. I hadn't bought clothes from a charity shop before but it was so nice, in great condition and so cheap it was worth it. I've now found the down side. It's not at all the size it says it was! There are no tags inside it so can't be sure what size it is officially, but have measured it.

Around the bust it's 38 inches, waist 32 inches, hips 42 inches. So that's a size 14 in the bust, and 16 in the waist and hips. Which is a bit annoying, as I'm a fair bit off that yet. However, I guess it's just now a new goal!

So I need to lose 5 inches on my bust, 6 on my waist, and 7 on my hips. So really am a long way off yet! But I'll get there, and when I do, it'll be great! But it's just so annoying that sizing is awkward, and that they then completely sized it wrong anyway!

Hey you have a new dress waiting for you though! Won't really be that long before you fit it.

While some say it's a great motivator I try to stay away from clothes that won't fit me, I can't help but look at them and wish I could fit into them then I get really depressed lol

I know what you mean, it's a bit of both! I wasn't that far off this dress when I got it, or so I thought! I'd fit it now if it was the size it said it was as it's a bit loose on the hips in it's style. Try not to get anything too far off though, as like you said, it can get depressing not fitting into what may be some of the nicest clothes you have!

Even when you buy clothes in shops they vary from one shop to another so don't be disappointed. Keep it hanging up as an incentive to lose those extra inches xx

Aw Caroline don't get disheartened hun, you WILL get in that dress and it won't be long either! I've got a wedding do to go to on the 8th of August, I need to get a nice frock but I havn't a clue what size to get, I could wait, but I'm itching to get looking now......xxxx

I'm going to aim to get in it for my aunt's wedding mid September!

Oh my God. I had a pair of trousers like that.

I was originally a size 24. Had these black trousers with hot pink stitching. Gorgeous!! Allegedly size 22. I tried them on every day!!! 3st lost and still didn't fit even though I was wearing size 18 in most shops! Got fed up trying them on every day and decided to wait until the 4st lost mark.

4st lost and guess what??? They were too big!!! Never got to wear them!!! Now THAT is dodgy sizing. :banghead: x

How annoying!!! I LOVE this dress, so I've measured it so I know where I have to get to so it fits! No way I'm missing out on wearing it. Though, with how badly this week has gone, it's a fair way off! lol

Don't think that way or you will do what I did and miss it lol! Try it on every day and one day you will get the best surprise :D x

Hi Caroline, this post has made me smile because at the start of my diet I too brought a size 18 next dress from a charity shop!!

I am sat here today in a 14, but that dress still wont zip to the top!!
Every week my girls have been trying it on me and man handling that old zip!
Its now an iunch fromt he top, but I just presumed it was a tiny size 18!! I never thought for a minute that the sizing was wrong.... so I am going to measure it later, but feel it must be either a very small size 14 or a very large 12!
Funnily, I have gone of the dress now but will celebrate non the less when I get into it!!!
Good luck for fitting into yours....

xx

Haha I bet that happens to me! I'll get to the point where it would fit me and I'll be like blah, I don't like it, and so won't wear it! Though, just fitting in it will deserve a party!

Hey Caroline, sent you a couple of pm's earlier about clothes. Have finished going through them. Could you let me know please - don't mean to rush you, but if you are now sorted then I'll stick them on Ebay :)

Hey Liz, I sent you an email, did you get it?

Duh, yes, but I didn't get an alert that it came through, silly me! Will reply now

And I've replied back! :)

Back