The Smash Pizza Debate 2015

lt52

Silver Member
Ok, controversial thread/post going on here but i welcome any and all opinions....

So i made the Smash pizza, hopefully the picture shows below.... I know there is so much debate about the syn free or syn value of this but i thought i'd give it a go and see what all the fuss is about.

So i made it up with 50g of smash which if i am right is syn free (or for the proper SW rules 9 syns - i think). Basically, i cooked it for just over 10 minutes before flipping and doing nearly 10 the opposite side before adding toppings. So it was cooked longer than the recipe states, but i also think it was thicker, as i stayed on the edge of caution after some horror stories with breaking smash and burning.

I just used a little bit of cheese and bacon that needed using to try, if i do it properly it will have way more toppings on. I think because it was a thicker base i could taste it a bit like potatoes. Hopefully a thinner base now i've done it and more toppings will help the taste. I know the 'official' slimming world rules state that its not in its proper use so it needs to be synned but for me i see it as when i do slimming world chips i'm taking the water off and baking potatoes still so isn't that on the same lines? I'm in the middle of the debate... i've tried it, i'm over it now, i won't have it daily or weekly but that won't stop me from having it again.

So i'm interested to see what people think .... have you tried it? Would you syn it? Is it syn free? Any tips? Any other angles or views not represented.... Go for it!!!

Lee

DSC_0128.JPG

It looks tasty.

As far as I'm concerned if its the same amount you would have eaten in a splodge on your plate anyway, what does it matter what format it's in.

It looks tasty.

As far as I'm concerned if its the same amount you would have eaten in a splodge on your plate anyway, what does it matter what format it's in.

You are legendary - i love how people are so against SW 'rules'. I agree and i also think if i make mash potato for my Shepard's pie then bake it in the over - it's the same thing!
I agree its syn free, whatever form its in, its syn free - that's how i see it

Thanks for the reply i'm looking forward to other people's

I have smash pizza and don't syn it and the reason is I don't make it using anymore smash than I'd have on my plate to eat as part of a main meal.

Another amazing person on this forum! I totally agree - its syn free no matter what form its in, i won't be having it all the time so why not. Smash is free - if it's on me shepherd's pie its the same format.

Thanks for your opinion (obviously the right one lol) - i look forward to other's coming in too

I also wouldn't syn this - as far as I'm concerned, if you start synning stuff like this then any recipe at all should be synned as you're then not eating each of the foods in their original form. Since the SW website and cookbooks are full of such recipes, this is clearly double standards! Same applies to the couscous cake and various other popular recipes - if you start synning free foods you're going to get way confused and probably give up completely in disgust as that will make the basic plan totally un-understandable (yes, I know that's not a word but it works in this context lol). Just enjoy your Smash pizzas and be proud you haven't gone to Pizza Hut, that's what I say!!!

I also wouldn't syn this - as far as I'm concerned, if you start synning stuff like this then any recipe at all should be synned as you're then not eating each of the foods in their original form. Since the SW website and cookbooks are full of such recipes, this is clearly double standards! Same applies to the couscous cake and various other popular recipes - if you start synning free foods you're going to get way confused and probably give up completely in disgust as that will make the basic plan totally un-understandable (yes, I know that's not a word but it works in this context lol). Just enjoy your Smash pizzas and be proud you haven't gone to Pizza Hut, that's what I say!!!

You are legendary in that quote and i can so see your points and agree with them. To me, a very strong and solid argument. Excellent points and i agree with the double standards. Especially now they have syn free frozen meals available! I so agree with double standards. I think if you are having that kind of stuff everyday and multiple times over the week it could make a difference, but also if you aren't noticing a difference in weight loss/gain then i see no issue at all.

Excellent points made and i so need you on side to argue points when the other side comes in too!!!

Wicked!!!!

Lee x

Oh I'm here Lee, and am also looking forward to the comments from the negative nellies out there - bring it on! x

Oh I'm here Lee, and am also looking forward to the comments from the negative nellies out there - bring it on! x

Yes! Get in!

Its such a strong one sided thread already though so there might not be any takers lol

Yes! Get in!

Its such a strong one sided thread already though so there might not be any takers lol

Perhaps they all go to bed early so they can get up and hit the gym before their angelic breakfasts?

Perhaps they all go to bed early so they can get up and hit the gym before their angelic breakfasts?

Well i'm daring again tomorrow - Crispy/Breaded style chicken. Just chicken dipped in egg then coated in smash and cooked in the oven.

Get ready for that post tomorrow!

Sounds lovely - if you fancy adding some crunch and can spare a syn or two, put some crushed cornflakes in with your Smash. Yum!

Sounds lovely - if you fancy adding some crunch and can spare a syn or two, put some crushed cornflakes in with your Smash. Yum!

Could do, but i'm gonna keep it simple to start with - i could use a HEB Bread allowance but i don't allow bread in the house, its almost as lethal as chocolate!!!

Why would you not syn it though? I pay SW for their expertise (or used to) so for best results I follow the advice they give, not an adapted version of the plan just because I either don't understand or agree with the reasoning. The issue is not about not using it in its original form, its about the filling power of the food. 50g dry powdered smash makes around 300g of mashed potato when fully hydrated. Both are the same calories but it's obvious which would be the more filling choice, and Sw is based around how filling foods are relative to their calorie content.

And by all means debate, but name calling people who might disagree is unnecessary and uncalled for ;)

Why would you not syn it though? I pay SW for their expertise (or used to) so for best results I follow the advice they give, not an adapted version of the plan just because I either don't understand or agree with the reasoning. The issue is not about not using it in its original form, its about the filling power of the food. 50g dry powdered smash makes around 300g of mashed potato when fully hydrated. Both are the same calories but it's obvious which would be the more filling choice, and Sw is based around how filling foods are relative to their calorie content.

And by all means debate, but name calling people who might disagree is unnecessary and uncalled for ;)

i agree.

have your fun and enjoy your tweaks but please dont feel the need to belittle those who follow the plan to the letter.

:)

Apologies to anyone who took offence at any of my comments, they were not intended to upset anyone. But I still wouldn't syn a free food, sorry...

Apologies to anyone who took offence at any of my comments, they were not intended to upset anyone. But I still wouldn't syn a free food, sorry...

me either.:)

sometimes i dont even syn things that are meant to be syns lol

i use (sparingly) the filipo berio olive oil spray for my sw chips as i think frylight is devil spit, and for the amount i use for 4 people it just isnt worth adding up the syns in my opinion. it hasnt effected my losses. yet :D

To be fair, SW world always used to encourage all these 'free food' adaptions....its where most of us got the ideas from in the first place! And I have to admit, I've lost weight over the years eating cous cous cakes, lasagne crisps, smash pizza etc. I agree, free food is free food, however you choose to eat it. It doesn't always mean you eat more. I mean, sometimes I used to eat a cous cous cake for lunch!
What I think has changed though, is that SW don't want to encourage us to eat foods like this since they change to their 'cook from scratch' (The plan wasn't always like that!) ethos. The fact remains, whatever they advise because of how eating trends/advice changes....you can lose weight eating foods like that......I did and my body hasn't changed how it processes food, its just the advice that ha changed!!
Of course, there are going to be ongoing changes with any plan and its up to the individual how they follow it, but I think its unfair to say that you categorically will not lose weight by eating free food if it is made in way it was not intended!!

Last edited:
To be fair, SW world always used to encourage all these 'free food' adaptions....its where most of us got the ideas from in the first place! And I have to admit, I've lost weight over the years eating cous cous cakes, lasagne crisps, smash pizza etc. I agree, free food is free food, however you choose to eat it. It doesn't always mean you eat more. I mean, sometimes I used to eat a cous cous cake for lunch!
What I think has changed though, is that SW don't want to encourage us to eat foods like this since they change to their 'cook from scratch' (The plan wasn't always like that!) ethos. The fact remains, whatever they advise because of how eating trends/advice changes....you can lose weight eating foods like that......I did and my body hasn't changed how it processes food, its just the advice that ha changed!!
Of course, there are going to be ongoing changes with any plan and its up to the individual how they follow it, but I think its unfair to say that you categorically will not lose weight by eating free food if it is made in way it was not intended!!

Loved everything you have said there Lentil2, for me hit the nail on the head. Free food is free food, how you cook it (as long as its not loaded in oil or whatever) is still following the plan. If i made smash and baked it as a pizza base, its the same as making smash and baking it as the topping on my shepherd's pie and then there's SW Chips, fry light then baking/roasting in the oven - its all still drying out potatoes as far as i'm concerned.
I understand what people are saying about paying for their expertise and following the plan they put out. But if it was once ok then not, and they change and adapt the plan each year - that is in some respect a bit of a double standard too (not that im justifying or being horrible about SW at all). Currently, SW is now justifying cooking ready meals from frozen - syn free?! What the difference between that and having a Smash Pizza once a month or whatever.

I think its quite creative using free foods in different ways to try and creative new recipes - a smash pizza is better than devouring a normal one by up to 45 syns. One i used to have from Morrisons was 50 syns for the whole thing and this is only 9 if you choose to syn it. Surely that helps out a lot! Cravings go and its out of your system so to speak.
I personally found that i ate less. The picture kinda shows it was small one, more toppings would help out taste and creativity and being more EE friendly. I actually didn't snack at all in the afternoon and normally i'm reaching for the Jelly, fruit or a Muller Light.

I understand both sides and just wanted to start a newly updated viewpoint as most of the ones i saw were for many years ago. I'm interested in all sides and want to hear all sides too.

Keep the views and points coming - i'm interested in all the new points

Back