The story of teabag the baby bat!!

Freshstartnewme!

Gold Member
It was all bit exciting here at our house yesterday as we had seemed to have gained a pet- a bat!!

batty.jpg

He stayed there all day and when I got back from work I was a bit concerned so we looked up and called a bat protection service. They told us to get him off the wall, pop him in a box with airholes and then call a lady they gave us a number for who lives in Lincoln.

So we named him Count Von Teabag and into the Yorkshire tea box he went after some squeaking! He was ever so small, only just over an inch long bless him.

So the lady came to pick him up and told us he was only 2.5/3 weeks old- just a baby!! She said his roost wouldn't be very far away and there was no point in taking him away as he wouldn't develop properly and he would be put down :cry:

Now I am such a soft touch with animals, so we said that we saw the bats at night, she said if we could find where the bats roost we could try and put him back but it would be a slim chance we could locate it.

So she came back at 9pm with some bat detectors and we all stood in the garden, it wasn't looking good, but then out came a bat!! After 20 mins we finally located the roost- it was at the side of our house right at the top- about 25ft high!

So next door lent us his rickety old wooden ladder and my brave boyfriend (who doesn't like ladders) climbed all the way up to the top of our house, with a tiny bat in his hand, popped him on the wall about a foot below where his little home was and teabag the bat climbed all the way up and disappeared!!

So a really happy ending to the story- I learn a lot about bats, think I drove the women mad asking questions, they are lovely little animals!

So if you ever find a bat- please find your local protection service and they will come and help you. Little teabag would have died that night probably if we hadn't got him back to his house. So I went to bed with a smile on my face last night, and my boyfriend is a hero!

Just thought I would share the story as it was a nice ending :)

Awwwww, I love it when a story has a happy ending.

What a lovely story, and such a brave boyfreind....xx

Wonderful to hear the story had a happy ending. I found a baby bat when I was younger pretty much the same as yours. I called the protection league who gave me permission to take bat to a local vet but unfortunately it had to be put down as was seriously injured :(. I was really upset.

Awwww bless!! I love bats :) When I was living in my childhood home we had a colony of pipistrelle bats that used to come and roost in our attic every year for years...we counted over 400 one night! You should have heard the noise they used to make, lol! :D xx

I've been having a rotten day (it's night-time here now) and was feeling thoroughly miserable, your story made me smile so thankyou for that. It's good to see people who care so much for animals!

We have heaps of bats round here, flying foxes or fruit bats - they fly in flocks in the evening, I thought they were birds when I first came and then I looked more closely and realised they were bats! They're ever so noisy!

Awww what an amazing story! Glad it had a happy ending. We have bats round here, they used to roost in an old disused building across the way, then they demolished it and built a load of flats there :mad: We still have bats but not so many.

What a wonderful story! We have a lot of bats here - although I am in town there are lots of trees and we are near the river, so lots of insects for them to catch.

When we had a tree cut down in the garden of our flats last year, we had to have a bat survey done as the local environmental group was sure that bats were roosting in it and we would not have been allowed to disturb them - the fines for upsetting a bat are horrendous!!!

Unfortunately (I wanted to keep the tree!) they weren't roosting there so they went ahead and cut it down.

I think that anyone who is prepared to go to all that time and trouble and effort to help a small creature must be a lovely person - well done you!

I love bats. When I was younger our neighbours brought home a baby bat who's mum had died. We called him Devon and he lived in a neck money tube so he stayed warm. However, he wasn't very well and died a few weeks later.

I am glad you all liked the bat story, it was a happy ending and I was so pleased we found his little home. I think the bat lady thought I was a bit mad.

She bought an adult bat back from us to see that she has adopted, she flies her in her dining room, but she can't go back into the wild. She showed us that when they are getting ready to fly they vibrate! Its like they are revving up, she said they do it to warm themselves up and their wings!! They are cool little animals!

She said that teabag might have got lost because when they are babies they follow their mums flying and he was a bit young to fly, so he may have been a bit adventurous, tried a bit early to fly, fallen down and climbed onto our wall. She I like the thought that in a couple of weeks, one of the bats flying around the garden might be teabag!!

:)

I am glad you all liked the bat story, it was a happy ending and I was so pleased we found his little home. I think the bat lady thought I was a bit mad.

She bought an adult bat back from us to see that she has adopted, she flies her in her dining room, but she can't go back into the wild. She showed us that when they are getting ready to fly they vibrate! Its like they are revving up, she said they do it to warm themselves up and their wings!! They are cool little animals!

She said that teabag might have got lost because when they are babies they follow their mums flying and he was a bit young to fly, so he may have been a bit adventurous, tried a bit early to fly, fallen down and climbed onto our wall. She I like the thought that in a couple of weeks, one of the bats flying around the garden might be teabag!!

:)

You are my sort of person. You can visit me any time you want !!!!

thank you for such an uplifting and positive tale

You are my sort of person. You can visit me any time you want !!!!

thank you for such an uplifting and positive tale

Thanks Sue, honestly I get if from my mum our house used to be like the RSPCA! We had all sort in our garage when I was growing up- hedgehogs, mice, rabbits, birds, we lived by the sea and she even nursed a cormorant once. She used to tcp their cuts, feed them up, get them better and let them go again once they were better. We were very rural so didn't have many vets etc so it was nurse it or kill it :( We always tried to nurse them, sometimes they died but an awful lot got better too :)

I would never hurt any animals and would do pretty much anything I could if it gave something a chance to be healthy and live again :)

I would love to come visit you and your goats lol! You would get on so well with my mum and dad, they are planning to move to France to buy a little house to rent out and basically adopt animals! Mum is desperate for some chickens and a goat! xx

I love hens !!! But we have a horrendous fox problem here and after the last time the fox got in we said no more fodder for him.

My goats are a delight and so funny. Your mum and dad will love having them just make sure if they are not using their billy to have him castrated otherwise they stink !!

My parents used to bread goats. They also used to take them across the canal in a dingy to their grazing on the other side.

I like goats and if I ever got some I would have to have pygmy goats as I think they're so darn cute!!

My parents used to bread goats. They also used to take them across the canal in a dingy to their grazing on the other side.

I like goats and if I ever got some I would have to have pygmy goats as I think they're so darn cute!!

We had pygmy's for years. Leo is the result of an illicit affair, well to be honest there was no affair involved. His full sized mum had fallen of a wall and hurt her leg and whilst she was lying on the floor winded and in pain my pygmy billy did the deed. Rotten so and so. Leo was one of 3 babes.

The 2 latest ones are humongous !!!! As big as our foals when they are born. They are such characters and really suit their names of Lizzie, she is so regal, real nose in the air lady , and Frankie, who should definitely be in Hollywood.

I would recommend goats to anyone who as the room and the time.

Back