The third?

I think if you cant possibly find any way to fit a 1/3 veg or fruit onto your plate then its better than having none but you should try an integrate it into your meal

My cons made an announcement a couple of wks ago to say that you have to have the 3rd super free on your plate. She said it's how the new cons are being trained and they have been adv this is what they need to make clear to new mbrs.
EE works by restricting calories this way if you don't have it on your plate your not having a third super free cause your plate will be full of free food. Hope this make sense. X

rosierose15 said:
I don't eat veg really just fruit x

If you eat it straight after or before it won't make a difference, its the same as if you have it all on your plate. As long as your eating it within your same meal time your body doesn't know it was on a separate plate ;) x

The main theory / reason for the 1/3 SF is so that you fill up on the naturally lower calorie foods &therefore you might not eat every morsel of the higher calorie (possibly free) parts of your meal.
However, for that to have a real chance of working it means that even if it's on 'the same plate', you would have to eat veg first, then free and finally any synned from the meal. .I don't know about everyone else, but I tend to let my fork do a bit of wandering during my meals.

If you really don't like veg, either have some fruit as a starter or, eat it after the main meal as long as you are still hungry - don't eat it 'just because' it was suppossed to be your 1/3 SF. .If you're full, you're full - have some SF later if you feel peckish.

My breakfast I usually have my SF first. So this morning for example I had bacon and eggs but I had an apple and a drink and then had my bacon and egg. I then didn't eat all the second half as I wasn't amazingly hungry. So as said before, try having it first really.

Some people say if you are going to have fruit after to leave a third of your plate empty so that you are still restricting the amount of free food you are eating and not filling up on it then eat fruit as well just for the sake of having your superfree.

However, for that to have a real chance of working it means that even if it's on 'the same plate', you would have to eat veg first, then free and finally any synned from the meal. .I don't know about everyone else, but I tend to let my fork do a bit of wandering during my meals.

Feeling like a bit of a saddo now as I do actually do this, but then I have always eaten my food in sections - i even used to eat the filling in sandwiches then the bread!

I was also told it had to be on the actual plate. I can't mix hot food and salad so I have a problem with some meals. On those days I make sure I have my fruit and veg before my syns.

I Dnt think I will put any syns with my meals just chicken and potato but I'll make sure I eat a bit of fruit first and after. My consultant said as long as the fruit is straight after it still works because it to do with digesting together x

I was also told it had to be on the actual plate. I can't mix hot food and salad so I have a problem with some meals. On those days I make sure I have my fruit and veg before my syns.

You might want to point out to your consultant that often meals in the SW menu plans and magazine have the superfree as dessert, or even have no superfree at all :)

This topic still really baffles me. I always thought your SuperFree had to be had either with your meal or beforehand - not afterwards - the whole point being to fill up on the SuperFree foods.

If you're eating it after you've just eaten a plateful of Free/Synned foods how do you know you're not just eating it "because you should", rather than actually still being hungry? This could have adverse effects...

Good god the amount of stress this 1/3 superfree rule causes.....

Personally the vast majority of meals I eat contain at least a third sometimes more superfree. When I first started I insisted on having a side salad with every meal that didn't have superfree until I realised that I was eating for the sake if it to follow the "rules" eg I would have egg chips and beans and then a side salad which I would eat first then still eat all my main meal. I soon realised that this form of eating is actually against the principles of sw so I stopped and just accepted that the occasional meal I have isn't a third superfree. It hasn't affected my losses and I'm a lot less stressed.

Im not saying this is for everyone but it works for me and my c has had no problems when I have mentioned it.... In real life we don't get stressed about eating a certain percentage of a particular sort of food and I figure if I'm going to follow slimming world for life then I won't overly stress about it either.

I think the fact that it is a rule goes against how sw is promoted and is why its not 'enforced' too much and c's say different things but it can affect weightloss. If your losses are fine than stick with what you are doing if it suits but if not then try making the change is what I'd suggest.
I eat lots of fruit anyway so if I don't follow the third guidelines with meals I wouldn't be increasing my superfree so think it does make a difference to me.

This is one thing I am not good at so I try and eat some fruit before a meal hopefully helping me to eat less of that meal. I tend to forget that some of my meals have SF foods in them so don't think I am doing too bad :rolleyes:

I dont like veg much, love fruit, hate salad. I did try ee for the first week and decided it wasnt for me, but my c told me to eat fruit first then my meal of free food the thinking behind it being that I was a little full before my main meal. Interesting there are so many differing opinions :)

I don't eat veg really just fruit x
I had the same problem! Tried ee for a week and struggled so got to target on red and green plans. There is no point in struggling if you really cant get on with ee. There are 2 other plans which may well suit you better. S W dont tend to promote these but they do work, and you may well do better on these as you will enjoy your meals more :)

Back