Green Days The vegan thread!!!

judywoody

Ok I am back again and a stone heavier (so ignore what it says in the footer :) )

I have also become vegan for ethical and health reasons two months ago.

After searching high an lo I noticed that we have a few threads here about vegan food but nothing consistent..I know there is a yahoo group for vegan SW's but it's a bit cluttered in thereand the forum is not very user-friendly.

I know I am probably in the minority anyway but I would love to find some like-minded people here.

Now I thought it would be nice to start of with ideas for HEX A and B and some foods that I haven't found the syn value for, yet.

Does anyone know if calcium-fortified oat milk is a HEX A? I only read about rice milk and soy milk.

Also, I wonder about the syns for nutritional yeast. Any idea?

I am also concerned about certain nutritions - as you know we have to be careful with our calcium, iron, zinc and b12.

We could compile a list with free or low syn foods that contain these?!

Last but not least, I found this list on a vegan forum for HEB which is a start:

**deleted** just in case...but you can PM me ;-)

I am doing green days (obviously) - but in the past I felt I couldn't really lose weight on this plan (especially without exercise) - can anyone give me some tips on how to increase your success on the green plan? I eat a lot of fruit but I am struggling with veg (ironic, ey?)..I love it but often don't know what to do with it...and I hate cold food like salads so it has to warm. I often end up with a whole broccoli or cauliflower head but I would appreciate some variety - some veg dished where the veg can dominate the dish without having to be drowned in fat :)

Would love to hear your input!!

Last edited:
Just did you copy the list of HE's from the site? If you did that's not allowed so you'll need to edit your 1st post and delete the list :)

I didn't copy it from the SW site - it was a list from a forum member on a vegan site..I don't think she has any copyright issues :) Or was it not ok of her to post the list in the first place?

vanilla_cupcake said:
I didn't look properly at it tigger, I only know the measurements of hand of what I use :)

Yeah I'm sure alot of the cereals are now 30g. But it still begs the question about whether it should be on here. I'm sure one of the rules is about not typing up 'lists' of stuff that come from lifeline online?? Will check with sandy

Yeah I'm sure alot of the cereals are now 30g. But it still begs the question about whether it should be on here. I'm sure one of the rules is about not typing up 'lists' of stuff that come from lifeline online?? Will check with sandy

Yeah it is one of the rules so it will have to be deleted :)

Hiya, im not vegan but im veggie, so i dont know much about the vegan substitutes unfotunately, as for not knowing what to do with veg how about cooking meals that hide the veg a bit like spag bol, chilli, lasagne, rosti made with potato, onion and root veg rather than just potato, maybe tofu kebabs with veg on them in a nice marinade (would be great on a bbq too in summer) i love sweet potatoes done on bbq i normally spray with fry-lite, then cover in herbs such as thyme, rosemary, sage etc and throw in a chopped garlic cloive mix it up and leave in fridge for a few hours then cook in oven/ on skewers on bbq very tasty and you can do that with most root veg, carrots are lovely roasted like that as it brings out their sweetness.

do you like thai green curry? i think you can get vegan coconut milk as a healthy extra, dont quote me on that but ive seen kara coconut milk mentioned a few times if you have a look around will prob find it, and syn the paste as long as its vegan but you can buy packs in asda etc with lemongrass/chilli/garlic etc which you just need to whizz up in a blender and you can make your own syn free paste, you can put green beans/baby corn etc pretty much any veg you like can go into that and it takes on the flavour of the sauce nicely :)

ooh also have a look on the recipe forum on here, there is an amazing tofu chocolate pudding, basically silken tofu, cocoa powder and sweetener but i make mine with sugar as i dont like the thought of eating a lot of sweetener and it works out at 3 syns per portion (mine does because i use suagr, will be less if you used sweetener), its amazing! my bf likes it and he is a meat eater who isnt doing sw, i dont like tofu v much apart from when its deep fried from the take-out and coated in salt n pepper lol but tofu-choc pudding is yum i also add orange extract to mine sometimes :)

hope that helps and gave you some ideas :)

Last edited:
Hey spudnik, thanks :)

Yeah I am already hiding my veggies..but for some reasons it doesn't feel "real" to me since they need to be cooked quite lot. I'm not a raw foodiest and I eat lots of soups but I'd rather see my veggie whole on a plate :) I am also not a fan of "sweet" veggies..so that cuts out a lot!! And I loooove avodacos and nuts..which doesn't help if you're on SW :)

Good morning everyone!

It's been a while but I am starting SW again.. Funnily enough since going vegan I lost 20 pounds pretty much effortless. However, processed wheat products have creeped in after a few months and I am now trying to eat has healthily as when I started in January.

I am now doing a list of all the dairy-free foods I can have but all the thread I can find on here are not very informative, outdated or just contain 2 posts :-(

I regularly drink Kara Milk anyway - I love it :) I am trying not to have too much soy though....but I guess, it would help me not to overeat on grains. I also love avocados and nuts which I would need to cut down on.

Has anyone got good ideas or are there any news on the HEX A&B front? New products that are available and low in syns?

Would love to hear from you

x

Mainly fresh - also, I obviously need to eat my HEX A and I usually don't drink that much milk..so what am I gonna do with my second HEXA? just leave it?

We have discussed the pros and cons of Vegan cheese and not very good reviews of it - looks like putty and tastes of nothing unless you get the one with chilli in it.
If you don't have enough posts to read Kel's diary go in the community forums and you will find some silly games you can do until you get 500 posts - will come back in a while with the proper page.

Chit Chat

just do the games until you get 500 posts - this is what a lot of us did so we can read most of the forums

Mainly fresh - also, I obviously need to eat my HEX A and I usually don't drink that much milk..so what am I gonna do with my second HEXA? just leave it?

On the green and red plans it says once OR twice from the hexa list, so don't worry about having a second one. Just make sure to have the two b's

I got it on Kindle and sent it back as I got so frustrated trying to find the recipes and bought the book.

I'm a veggie btw but with occasional vegan tendencies and big love for Isa and the PPK :D

Made a lovely spinach lasagna tonight and a chocolate chestnut tart. All vegan.. My sister in law and nephew loved it:)

Back