Medium saucepan

Ingredients

6 medium/large potatoes
2 large carrots
red lentils
1 medium onion
1 400g tin baked beans
Tbsp of tomato puree
tin of WW lentil and carrot soup (4.5 syns)(optional but tasty)
4 veg oxos
56g/82g grated cheese (2 HExA)
salt & pepper
1/2 pint water

Method

Peel and chop potatoes, and boil in a large saucepan until tender and then mash with seasoning.

In a medium saucepan add a layer of red lentils to cover the bottom of the pan, should be thick enough so you can't see the bottom of the pan but no more.
Add to the lentils in the pan, 4 veg oxos, finely chopped onion, tin of soup, tin of beans, finely chopped carrot, tomato puree and half a pint of water.

Stir mixture and bring to the boil...then simmer for about 20 mins.

Transfer mixture to lasagne dish or casserole dish and cook in the oven for about 30-40 mins until carrots are tender.

The mixture should thicken nicely. If too thick, add a little more water.

Spread the mashed potato on the top of the mixture, season and add the grated cheese.

Return to the oven for about 20-30 mins until cheese is golden and bubbling.

This is reeeeally delicious and will be a regular in our house now.

can I just check how many lentils do you use?

I don't measure them really, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan so you can't see the metal underneath.

New recipe & pic added to the first post on Page 1, Courgette Frittata. Just had it for my tea and it's gorgeous!

TheMissus said:
Serves 2
Approx 0.5-1 syn per serving
Uses 2 x HExA (1 HExA per serving)

Ingredients

6 maris piper potatoes
82g of low fat cheddar cheese or 56g cheddar
2 butterbuds (optional) (1 syn)
dried/fresh chives
1 packet Ainsley Harroit Roasted Veg Couscous (0.5 syns)

Method

Peel and chop spuds, boil in salted water until soft.
Transfer to mixing bowl, add seasoning, butterbuds, grated cheese and chives.
Mash thoroughly

Make up couscous as directed in a bowl or jug (170ml of boiling water, leave for 5 mins then fluff).

When couscous is cooked, spread some out on a dinner plate.
Take a small handful of mash mixture and roll in clean hands to form a croquette shape.

Roll the potato in the couscous making sure everywhere is coated. The couscous will stick to the mash.

Spray a baking tray with frylight then add the coated croquettes to the baking tray and spray the tops and sides with frylight.

Repeat until mash and couscous are gone.

Cook on gas mark 6 for about 30-40 mins.

Croquettes should go firm and crispy and golden brown as pictured.

I loved these, so yummy thanks x

New recipe added...Singapore Vermicelli, 2nd post after the sweet and sour quorn.

Do you think you could make the sweet and sour on the hob not in a slow cooker ?? Thanks.

Gail x

I don't see why not...you would probably need to add more water or stock as it would reduce on the hob. Might be able to do it in a casserole dish in the oven too...

Thanks. That might go on my shortlist of new recipes to try next :).

See you on Sunday.

Gail x

Sent from my iPhone

New recipe added. 1st post, 3rd recipe down...Tomato & Basil Pate. Tastes just like the Cauldron stuff but less syns! Lush :D

Some great recipes! Love the sound of the Cheesy Potato Croquettes :) .... Looking forward to trying to them! Thanks xo

When you use any recipe with lentils or chickpeas my Indian friend told me to add a pinch of Asafoetida (also known as Hing) to it then it will stop "wind" problems.
Yes it does work - I would not eat lentils at one time but now they are one of my favourite foods.
You can buy it in Tesco and Asda in a small yellow pot - it smells awful but works.:D

TheMissus said:
Another of my recipes, really simple and tasty.

The recipe below makes about 3-4 bowlfuls, so adjust the amounts accordingly for less BUT you can freeze this soup too which is great for a quick snack or dinner.

You will need a hand blender.

Ingredients:

3 leeks
3-4 medium potatoes
1 onion
250ml semi skimmed or skimmed milk
salt and ground black pepper
4-5 veg oxos

You will need a hand blender.

Use your largest saucepan.

* Peel and chop leeks, potatoes and onion and add to pan.

* Crumble veg stock into pan.

* Fill pan with water and bring to the boil.

* Simmer for 40 mins until veg is soft.

* Blend with hand blender until lump free.

* Add milk, salt and pepper and stir.

* Reheat and serve.

These were awesome thanks for this...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using MiniMins

Hope you don't mind but thought I would tell you about other dishes using the basic lentil cottage pie recipe.

Turn it into Chili by adding a can of chopped tomatoes (which I reduce earlier in the microwave so it is nice and thick) chili paste or powder, 1tsp cumin and coriander powder and cooked red kidney beans.
Pasta sauce - I leave out the baked beans and potatoes and use a tin of chopped tomatoes, plenty of mushrooms, chopped celery, usually some broccoli,mixed herbs and fresh basil.
Lasagne - as the pasta sauce but add lightly steamed aubergine and peppers instead of the broccoli.

When I make cottage pie I usually add 1tbsp gravy granules (3 1/2 syns) to thicken it a little and mix cooked cauliflower or sweet potato with the white potato for a change of taste.

I have meat eating friends who were amazed when they tasted it - those who hate lentils :rolleyes:

Serves 4 (approx 0.5 syns per serving)

Ingredients

5 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
½ bag of quorn pieces
1 large onion finely chopped
½ tsp of cumin
½ tsp of mild chilli powder
4 tbsp mild curry powder
1 tsp turmeric powder
2.5 tbsp tomato puree (2 syns)
1.25 pints of veg stock made with 3 vegetable oxos.
400g tin of heinz baked beans

Firstly peel and cube your potatoes and par boil them. I parboil mine using the microwave by putting them in a big bowl with a little water at the bottom, covering with clingfilm and cooking for 8mins on a cat D microwave, stirring half way through.

Defrost your quorn pieces before hand or in the microwave.

Using your big saucepan add the chopped onions and 1.25 pints of veg stock, bring to the boil.
Add your cumin, turmeric, curry powder, chilli powder and tomato puree and stir.

Add your softened potato, the quorn pieces and the tin of beans and bring to the boil again.

Once bubbling turn down and simmer until potatoes and onions are very soft. (normally about 30-40 mins).

I leave mine to stand for a couple of hours and reheat to serve, seems to taste better and the "sauce" is a bit thicker.

Serve with basmati rice.

You can of course add other veg to the pot.

My husband who is a quorn virgin has just eaten this & said it was excellent :) I'm going to have some when I finish work at 8pm

i've made a note of these in my book and will be trying them asap........ Thank you so much for sharing these if you have anymore great veggie recipes let me know as im finding it hard to make new things...... x x

Back