There are HOW many calories in that?!

Caz

Repeat Offender
I'm going out for breakfast with my sister in a bit so I thought I'd look at the wetherspoons menu in advance to check out the calories in things. To be honest, I'm in absolute shock at how many calories there are in things!

Here's the menu : Quality Food, Great Value | Food Menu | J D Wetherspoon

Beans on toast - 530
Scrambled egg on toast - 503
Breakfast bloomer - 912!
Breakfast roll - 416
Pancakes and syrup - 675

So I'm going for the porridge with strawberry and blueberry compote for 257 calories, none of those things are worth it!!

I'm actually in shock at how many calories some of these things are. Sandwiches, wraps and paninis are all 600-800 each. Even the toasties are 500. Chips, 376! Carbonara - 1042. Chilli Con Carne - 796. The beef burger, 1200 calories, that's my allowance for the whole day!

I see that in future it'll be Sweet Chilli Noodles for me there! It's just made me realise how high in calories all these things are and how even the things that I thought would be better still really aren't very good at all! I've also realised that I now look at things and the number of calories in them and go hmm yes I kind of want that, but it's just not worth those calories. And then I don't mind not having them, it's not that I couldn't have them, it's that I made an informed decision not to. Definitely seems to make things easier when it's our decisions, not you can'ts! And finally, it's made me realise that it's always worth checking their menu online as it's full of surprises!

you wouldnt think those foods would have all those calories but it kind of makes you realise how we previously put on so much weight.

Makes you wonder how they cook their food, how can beans on toast be 500 calories. I have looked at the calories at wetherspoons in the past and have been totally shocked how high in calories their food is. I remember a few years ago when I was on one of diets and went to Mcdonalds and thought I'd opted for the healthy salad, but I would have been better off having a cheeseburger and the salad wasn't even that nice.

I noticed that when I eat out the foods uasually look like they were soaked in fat, that's why they're always so high cal. One single tablespoon of oil is 120 cals.

The best option goes to homemade meals;)

I've been shocked too at how many calories are in things, since I've been watching and counting calories I've been totally surprised at where the calories clock up......usually at home I have a little salad for lunch but once a week I go to a friends for the day and she makes me a salad roll, it's the only time I eat bread at it's such a tiny roll I didn't think it would make much difference, but when I looked at how many calories there was in the bread roll it was amazing at just how much the bread roll bumped up my calories.......I had a yoghurt at a friends house, it was from Morrisons and the flavor was toffee fudge yoghurt, it was yummy and after I ate it I checked the calories......nearly 300 for a little pot of yoghurt!!!!!

Calorie counting really opens your eyes :)

i'd seen there menu few week ago- i easily said no to the cake when i realsed how many cals were init!! its sooo bad!! chilli noodles all the way! 1.99- and only 395 cals a think! luv em! nom nom

I also couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw the calories on the Wetherspoons menu. I went round telling everyone I could because I was so shocked! I used to think nothing of eating a regular chicken roast dinner with fudge cake afterwards. Sure, I'd think 'I better go easy' for the rest of the day but it didn't occur to me I could be eating as much as 1700 calories in one sitting. Not to mention several glasses of wine to go with it. Calorie counting has been a revelation to me as I never been a 'big eater' in my day to day life and yet have progressively put on weight over the years. It just goes to show that estimation isn't enough either because restaurant food can be made completely differently to the meals you eat at home, even if they seem to be the same.

I used to like the Spaghetti Bolognese at Wetherspoons which was only 485 cals but they've taken it off the menu :(

The spagetti is still on the menu, just not the online version :) I had it last week!

Ooh that's good news! They've updated the menus at my Wetherspoons and it isn't there but maybe they still do it. I will ask! :)

Well you learn something every day, I never knew Harvester had calories on the menu's.....where have I been looking??? Dohhh

I had this awful shock when I got back from a Toby carvery last week! I thought it's a special occasion so I'd have what I wanted but not go too crazy. So I had the meat and a teeeeny scoop of mash then all veg and a good dollop of gravy. The calories for that one meal when I checked after was an amazing 1600!! When I do sunday roast at home it's easily under 800 so what these pubs are doing with the oil an butter i do not know!!!

I had this awful shock when I got back from a Toby carvery last week! I thought it's a special occasion so I'd have what I wanted but not go too crazy. So I had the meat and a teeeeny scoop of mash then all veg and a good dollop of gravy. The calories for that one meal when I checked after was an amazing 1600!! When I do sunday roast at home it's easily under 800 so what these pubs are doing with the oil an butter i do not know!!!

Wowzers! That is a lot! I eat a Roast every week at my Mum's. I make myself a small portion but depending on what I choose, I can keep it under 600 calories - including roast potatoes! 1600 is utter madness!

I know morrigan! I actually went through and costed out the cal count for having a bit of everything plus gravy and it was 2189 which is gobsmacking!!! I'm going to stay well away from carvery now lol I thought it'd be easier to eat reasonably well but it just isn't!!

Wow - will avoid Wetherspoons then! Eek!

Some things really are shocking... I had a few of my OH's Doritos the other night and wished I hadn't... a small number worked out around 500 cals! *Shudder*

x

Back