There's butter on EVERYTHING

zombiecakes

Will be slinky!
Just a post to whine and i need hugs :wave_cry:

I'm in France (near Rennes) for a conference with work. I was hoping there would decent amounts of salad and vegetables so i could at least minimise the damage to my weight loss. However, everything, and i mean EVERYTHING is covered in oil or butter! ARGH! :rant2: :rant2:

I can't not eat it as we are in an Abbey in the middle of nowhere and there's no way i can afford to eat elsewhere, and i'm not silly enough to starve myself or eat very little because i need to be able to concentrate. :ignore:

I need my strength for a presentation i have to give this afternoon as i have to get a presentation on a paper that my supervisor and i have written. You then get grilled by people!
As my supervisor is on the organising committee he can't do the presentation, so it falls to me. I'm the only none professor/big wig doctor doing one of the presentations! I'm horrified! :raincloud:

So not only is the food horrific for a diet, but i'm going to make it even worse with all the wine i'm going to need at the conference dinner as atm my heart feels like it is going to burst out of my chest! :argh:

Thank you for letting me moan! :psiholog::help2:

Moan away it is good for the soul.

Ask if you can have your food without oil or butter.

We have a similar problem here but just with olive oil. It is even on sandwiches. When ordering food I always, always ask them to prepare mine without oil. Apart from the diet aspect I think that olive oil often overpowers the flavour of the food rather than enhance it.

Good luck with your presentation.

xxx

I wish i could, but it's already prepared and there's no choice what you eat, you just get trays/dishes on the table that is dished out between the members of the table. :(

Oh well, i get to go home tomorrow!

Good luck with your presentation I'm sure you'll do fantastically..

Just eat, 1 day will do no harm, is there any fruit that you can fill up on?

BBx

Thank you :king: I'm hoping so!

It's been since Saturday :( So going to get completely back on track on Thursday!

Sadly no fruit, even had to have dessert yesterday as 2 courses were fish (i HATE fish) so had dessert otherwise i'd be existing on oiled salad leaves and a couple of buttered carrots and didn't think that would be a wise idea! :jelous:

Just imagine they are all in nappies and you will be fine! Just because they're academic doesn't mean they are more intelligent than you.

The French do love their fat. :D

Curiously, they don't seem to have the problem with obesity that we do. They don't worry about having things like cream and butter and oil in everything, but I suspect the key is they don't eat in anything like the huge portions we do either.

I wish i could, but it's already prepared and there's no choice what you eat, you just get trays/dishes on the table that is dished out between the members of the table. :(

Oh well, i get to go home tomorrow!

You never know until you ask, and in fact I think I would insist. If need be tell them you have a heart condition and have to avoid fats. ;):)

The French do love their fat. :D

Curiously, they don't seem to have the problem with obesity that we do. They don't worry about having things like cream and butter and oil in everything, but I suspect the key is they don't eat in anything like the huge portions we do either.
The French are starting to have a childhood obesity problem due to the increase in fast and prepared foods and lack of exercise as kids play video games.

But you are right, portion size is the key - and the French only tend to have one meal a day and that's usually at lunchtime so plenty of time to work it off.

And they take their time eating too. I had a family "lunch" on Sunday. It started at 12.30 and we left the table at 7pm!

But you are right, portion size is the key - and the French only tend to have one meal a day and that's usually at lunchtime so plenty of time to work it off.

And they take their time eating too. I had a family "lunch" on Sunday. It started at 12.30 and we left the table at 7pm!

:D :D

I love the French attitude to food and the social/family aspect of it. Sigh. Wish I could live there. :)

The problem of kids and fast-food related weight problems is pretty much the same all over the western world I think, and while the food manufacturers/sellers are allowed to make massive profits by filling everything with refined fats and sugars, it's not going to change. I do think there will need to be some sort of legislative approach to this problem eventually. All the cost and effort of trying to educate people about healthy eating will not solve the problem so long as junk is instantly available and affordable.

How did the presentation go?

We had 3 course meals for lunch and dinner! And it took forever! I'm a quick eater and i can't say i enjoyed this way of eating, so faffy and long winded! Tbh i'm glad to be out of France :ashamed0005:

As for the presentation, it went amazingly! Managed to give a clear, concise and well prepared talk and answered the questions people asked :) Paper/work was also well accepted and complimented. My supervisor gushed for the next two days and was grinning at me from the audience (he NEVER compliments anyone, in fact he's known as one of the most critical people in my department!) Also got a comment and compliment on my "good work and convincing case" from one of the top atmospheric chemistry prof alive today! Supervisor was on the same table as him at the conference posh dinner and said that he (top prof guy) commented at least several times on how impressed he was with me and how well i did! So on top of the world from that :thankyouthankyou::winner::woohoo::party0019:

The fact that even i thought it went well says something, i'm very critical of myself, to the point of thinking i can't do anything well!

Just recovering from the 13 hours of travel yesterday! But glad to be back home with OH :serenade:

Back