thickening a curry.. made with coconut milk

Sam1309

Silver Member
hey all i am making curry tonight (love my curry) however when i use coconut milk instead of natural yogurt, its very very runny i am on a low carb diet hence the preference of coconut milk

any suggestions on how to make my curry thicker

Xanthum gum. You get it from the aisle that has wheat free/dairy free stuff. Works a treat and is great for low carb.

Yep as above, Sainsburys sell it on the free from aisle, it comes in a tube

How or where do you get coconut milk? If you prepare it out of coconut meat, do not add any water. Just squeeze the milk out of it and you will get a thick coconut milk which is enough to make a creamier curry. If it is out of the can, try other brands. Perhaps it's been mixed with lots of water. I always cook curry and I use milk that I prepare myself.

smithj said:
How or where do you get coconut milk? If you prepare it out of coconut meat, do not add any water. Just squeeze the milk out of it and you will get a thick coconut milk which is enough to make a creamier curry. If it is out of the can, try other brands. Perhaps it's been mixed with lots of water. I always cook curry and I use milk that I prepare myself.

I know an Indian chef and he talks about using instant dried potato mash to thickening sauces. Syns free on green and EE. It works a treat.

Back