Things that annoy me about being big - how about you?

This is a really great thread........not being able to wear nice summer dresses, hiding my upper arms, cellulite showing through my trousers and feeling like I am judged by weight and not the person inside......

Oh yes....I untag all photos....totally understand that one!!!

Totally with you on tiny friends who claim they need to lose "so much weight!" :rolleyes: *grabbing non-existent fat from their waists.* Try being my size! :mad:

When I go out for a walk to get some exercise, I invariably get some witty comment shouted at me by some guys in a car/truck whatever. Like I've never heard "Oi fat girl!" before. :rolleyes:

On the same note... schoolkids. I've had it all. (Used to be even more of a target with a bright blue school uniform, but meh.) "Oi Hev" when I get on the bus. * stage whispers* Only one seat! *stage whispers*; groups of kids laughing, making it very obvious that I'm the butt of their joke. :rolleyes:

Friends having jokes about my weight. (It's OK, they've either stopped now, or aren't in my life anymore. :p ) Not putting up with it anymore, so I made sure that's stopped.

People playing "food police". Saturday morning, I made myself cheese on toast (I know, cheddar is fattening, blah blah). I hardly ever have cheese anymore. But then Dad saw. "Cheese on toast for breakfast?" He gave me a look. "That's not going to help your weight, is it?" Thanks, Dad. :mad: Look, I know what I'm eating... I don't need people judging me on it.

People not wanting to talk to me because I'm overweight. If it were a case of sleeping/going out with me, fine, because I know looks are a major factor in attraction. Reject me on relationship territory because you don't fancy me, and I'll deal with it easily. However, don't write me off entirely as a person just because of my weight.

People playing "food police". Saturday morning, I made myself cheese on toast (I know, cheddar is fattening, blah blah). I hardly ever have cheese anymore. But then Dad saw. "Cheese on toast for breakfast?" He gave me a look. "That's not going to help your weight, is it?" Thanks, Dad. :mad: Look, I know what I'm eating... I don't need people judging me on it.

My dad does that to me. Even this evening. I had 1 biscuit! ONE! And he was like 'you're eating a biscuit' like its horrifying front page news. I always feel so horrible then.

I hate feeling so paranoid especially when going clothes shopping, I feel like people are watching to see what size I pick up... or if I go into a store with friends or family that doesn't actually stock my size I feel like I don't belong at all. I hate how I can fit into a size 18 in some stores and others I'd have to be in a size 24. I always have to hide the stupid size number on the hangers now, I'm sure I'll get over it :eek:

Another thing I hate is people saying they'll join you in losing weight and then giving up, making excuses all the time. This has happened so many times to me, so this time I'm proud to say getting over the initial disappointment of it happening once again a couple of months ago I've continued with everything.

I don't like how watching tele programmes about fitness, losing weight... healthy food (which I almost feel obligated to watch now adays), always makes me want to snack... usually not on healthy things either, unfortunately.

I hate the chafing when wearing skirts, I have to wear tights, and by the end of the day I usually have holes in the thighs and painful friction burns...

I also hate the judgemental attitude of others, the disappointment at me eating a packet of crisps say... Another thing is just generally the way being big makes me look. Laying in the bath, the way you're hips are pretty much vacuum packed in there. I've been obese for as long as I can remember visiting dieticians at the age of 7, while my sister and brother are healthy weights and have always been. I have no idea how I'd look or feel being at a healthy weight because I've never experienced it.

Lots of ranting, sorry. This is a good post, thanks, nice to remind yourself why we're all doing this :)

I agree with so much of the above. And with the tags, I have cut them off of every single item of clothing I own for years now. I can't imagine somebody finding something and being like OMG THAT'S HUMONGOUS. I don't know if people would do that but I can't help but think they would. And I also constantly think people look at what size I buy, or they expect me to reach to the back of the rack.

I remember when I was 11 or 12 and I was overweight, one girl asked me where my belly button was. I thought she was so ignorant and stupid, I told her it was at the same place as everybody else's. I hate pesky people's remarks.

I hate people seeing my size too. Mostly I feel intimidated when I have to pay for them, and die a little inside everytime it's a male cashier, I'd rather have a female one for some odd reason.

I totally agree. When I buy clothes I try hide the size on the hanger any way I can and dont like it if I get a male cashier. Another thing is being served by people younger than me I feel they are judging me I really dont know why I feel like that.

This is to rant about all the things that annoy me, and to encourage others to let go!

1. Making an appt to be shown around my local David Lloyd, and the bloke taking me to the board with all the info on free/paid for courses etc, then going on endlessly about the Lose it and shape up programme, telling me how much weight the most successful member had lost etc. I got really annoyed, I never asked him about it and people were walking past overhearing it!
  2. It's a mistake to tell anyone you're trying to eat healthily, because most of them say at some point, while you're tucking into something you enjoy and are allowed "I thought you were dieting...?"
  3. Friends who think they're helping by sticking their head in the sand and telling you, at 25st, "oh you're ok" when I'm clearly not just a few pounds/stone overweight!
  4. If anyone knows you're dieting, they only want to talk about food 90% of the time.
All these are understandable but annoying nevertheless!

Your turn!

Ha, yes when I joined David Lloyd the PT kept trying to get me to sign up for Lose and Shape. I was, and am still, very happy with SW. Incidently, the Lose and Shape menu items are not as healthy as they could be.

But yes, the single most annoying thing is those who persist on calling you out whenever you eat something that they dont think should be allowed on a diet. That really grates and is why I have told so few people that I am on Slimming World. If I want to spend my allowed syns on a bar of chocolate so be it. Its allowed and I dont need the 'oooh, I thought you were supposed to be on a diet' comments, especially when it comes form those who need to lose a few pounds themselves!:mad:

The clothes size thing really hit a nerve with me. I don't even know what size I was at my biggest because I never, ever bought anything above a size 16. When I couldn't get in those, I bought L, XL, XXL. Anything if fact that didn't have a number on it, somehow things could be ignored easier then.

I should have done what other people have and cut the labels off.

Tracey

I hate the chafing when wearing skirts, I have to wear tights, and by the end of the day I usually have holes in the thighs and painful friction burns...

I also hate the judgemental attitude of others, the disappointment at me eating a packet of crisps say... Another thing is just generally the way being big makes me look. Laying in the bath, the way you're hips are pretty much vacuum packed in there. I've been obese for as long as I can remember visiting dieticians at the age of 7, while my sister and brother are healthy weights and have always been. I have no idea how I'd look or feel being at a healthy weight because I've never experienced it.

Lots of ranting, sorry. This is a good post, thanks, nice to remind yourself why we're all doing this :)

I totally hear you on the chafing. If I'm wearing a skirt/dress (which happens rarely), I always wear tights... if it's a skirt, then cycling shorts in summer.

My brother and sister are healthy weights too... and I never have been. I've always been the fat girl, so I don't know what I'd look like at a healthy weight. :cry:

I totally hear you on the chafing. If I'm wearing a skirt/dress (which happens rarely), I always wear tights... if it's a skirt, then cycling shorts in summer.

My brother and sister are healthy weights too... and I never have been. I've always been the fat girl, so I don't know what I'd look like at a healthy weight. :cry:

Well, we can all take pleasure from the fact that even if we aren't trying to get back into that favourite dress, swimming cossie or jeans... (as the Special K adverts are constantly reminding us) as we've never been at an ideal weight, we will be there soon. Having to buy a whole new wardrobe of gorgeous outfits, being at goal. Don't get depressed :p We have so much to look forward to.

Was in TKMaxx today. Went in looking for something in homeware. Decided that, while I was there, I'd look at getting myself a nice top. Was wandering around and realised to my horror that L was size 14 :rant2: and XL was size 16! :flamingmad:

That's one thing that pisses me off.

I agree with a lot of the things said here. Buying clothes is always hard, I can hardly ever wear brands and just have to go with the generic big clothes. Whenever I go into town with my friends and they walk into certain clothes shops I always feel bad goin in cos I know they won't have my size and I just feel like I don't belong.

Also things like rollarcoasters. Last summer some friends and I went to Alton Towers and on the first rollarcoaster we went on (I forget which it was) they couldn't fasten the harness around me so I had to leave with everyone watching, that was so embarrasing. After that I didn't dare try any of the other rides even ones I would have been fine with so it ruined the whole day for me.

I hate...

1."but you have a pretty face" meaning, you got a fat body...
2. Clothes shopping... I wont go if I can help it! I will buy clothes only if I really need them.
3. Buying food... or eating in public, I dont even like supermarket shopping.
4. Meeting b/fs friends and family who I havent seen before, I think they will be judging me, thinking Im not good enough for him.
5. Dancing... I love dancing but hate doing it in clubs because I think people will laugh at me.
6. Photos - full stop! Any photo, anytime, anywhere
7. But mainly I hate how it affects my attitude to life, Im fed up of hating myself and thinking Im worthless.

Im also a untagger and a label cutter lol

I hate...

2. Clothes shopping... I wont go if I can help it! I will buy clothes only if I really need them.
3. Buying food... or eating in public, I dont even like supermarket shopping.
4. Meeting b/fs friends and family who I havent seen before, I think they will be judging me, thinking Im not good enough for him.
5. Dancing... I love dancing but hate doing it in clubs because I think people will laugh at me.
6. Photos - full stop! Any photo, anytime, anywhere
7. But mainly I hate how it affects my attitude to life, Im fed up of hating myself and thinking Im worthless.

Im also a untagger and a label cutter lol

Definately with you on the dancing, I love it but feel so concious when I do that I just dont bother, and no 7, of course and no 1, someone said to me the other day ' your actually quite pretty arent you'!! yeh thanks for that xx

I hate...

I HATE this. My 'friends' say it to me all the time. I really hate how they think it's meant to make you feel good somehow. My friend said to me the other day...'You know Stacie, you are really pretty but if you lost weight you'd be stunning'. I was like..er thanks?!
I also hate whenever I say to my friend 'I fancy a McDonalds' and she instantly goes...'no it's bad for you, you're on a diet, you'll only moan about your weight'...yet she can have it?!! GRRR!
Just ranting a little there lol
xxx

OOOH dya know what really bugs me, when you go shopping, and your friends (who are thin) pick something up and they're like... THAT'S MASSIVE WHO ON EARTH IS THAT BIG... And in your head you're like... That's actually too small for me... :)

And if you bring attention to the fact you need to lose weight, they're like OH STOP COME ON!

And the way thin people feel that "fat" is a taboo word around overweight people... Hmmmmm...

Ha, yes when I joined David Lloyd the PT kept trying to get me to sign up for Lose and Shape. I was, and am still, very happy with SW. Incidently, the Lose and Shape menu items are not as healthy as they could be.

But yes, the single most annoying thing is those who persist on calling you out whenever you eat something that they dont think should be allowed on a diet. That really grates and is why I have told so few people that I am on Slimming World. If I want to spend my allowed syns on a bar of chocolate so be it. Its allowed and I dont need the 'oooh, I thought you were supposed to be on a diet' comments, especially when it comes form those who need to lose a few pounds themselves!:mad:

I totally empathise with that, my ex used to do it all the time, then if I lost 1lb it was 'you'd have lost more if you didn't have chocolate'. If people are not going to make an effort to understand how WW, SW etc work then they shouldn't judge and criticise people who are using them.

when someone says 'you've lost weight, are you on a diet?' and i say 'yeah'... cue *silence* then they feel they have to ask 'which one, what's it like, what can't you have?' and don't believe me when i say i can have anything on sw!

when people call me 'petite'. ok, yes, i am short. but i certainly am round too. if you're now going to turn around and tell me i'm not fat, think back to the past 19 years of my life where you have repeatedly called my older sisters 'skin and bones' and awkwardly, very obviously, ignored me. i would love to show people the link of weekly pictures in my signature and prove to them that i spend every second when i am not alone with my stomach sucked in.

when people offer me double the amount of food they do to other people. like my sister, when i was 9, made me three slices of toast for breakfast. sorry, i only have one.

when someone thinks it is ok to grab my flab and have a play around with it. i detest being poked or tickled, do not touch me unless i openly allow it.

oh and also when people assume 149lbs isn't possibly enough of a big number for me to want to drop some lbs off it. my start weight and target weight aren't for anybody to judge - they are how i feel uncomfortable and comfortable. excuse me for wanting to wake up in the morning and love my body.

Back