Things to consider before we cheat

Oh Lizzylocket while I see you there do you have a diary set up? I don't think I have subscribed to a diary for you yet.

Rocky Road said:
Oh Lizzylocket while I see you there do you have a diary set up? I don't think I have subscribed to a diary for you yet.

Yes I do! Come on over! Not sure how to post a like, I'm on my phone but you should find it in the diaries section....

Lizzylocket said:
Yes I do! Come on over! Not sure how to post a like, I'm on my phone but you should find it in the diaries section....

Link even!

Thank you so much for this thread, it really rang true with me and my issues with food. I've copied snippets onto a document that I'm going to print and put in my little book that I carry everywhere so I always have it in case I need reminding!!

SerenityValley said:
Been mulling this over for a few days, with the intention of writing a post for my diary thread (may copy it across later).

It doesn't matter what diet you're doing, you could decide to cheat. On many diets, this does not matter. For example, on SW or WW, if you decide to eat a cherry scone (one of my favourite treats), you will still be able to carry on as before. No ill effects, except maybe no loss. Even a little cheat every day, and you could still lose weight, but at the very least you're still well placed to continue where you left off.

On a vlcd, a cherry scone could very well mean falling out of ketosis, having a temporary gain, and a loss of 3 to 5 days of prime ketosis. A little cheat every day, could mean never being back in ketosis, and despite hardly eating a thing, no loss at all.

Today we went out this afternoon (20 week scan) and the Mrs fancied a treat (she can have whatever she likes, at 20 weeks, she's gained 2lbs!), and she chose a mint feast. I love feasts, but not mint so much. Briefly my inner child went "waaaah!" and I had a word with myself.

How simple it would be to cheat. If I'd been on SW, I'd have just had one. On SnS I can't. So I need a coping strategy for when the inner child kicks up a fuss.

I think that strategy is actually quite simple. I balance my want for the treat and my want for my weight loss.

What will my cheat taste like? (benefit of cheating)
How long will it taste like that? (benefit of cheating)
How will I feel afterwards? (Drawback of cheating)

The truth of the matter is; there is no cheat out there that would taste that nice (not even a cherry scone), I'd have forgotten about how it tastes in minutes, and I'll feel rubbish (emotionally, and then probably physically).

I know from experience how these things call us, frequently and relentlessly. However, the availability of such items is not the problem. Our attitude to them is. I truly believe we can control our attitude to so called "forbidden " treats. On SnS we don't have the option to cheat effectively. That actually makes it easier, as long as we're committed to the plan.

Other things I consider. Why I want to cheat. On a vlcd, it's so rarely about physical hunger. The answer of me is invariably that I feel deprived. So I ask myself, why do I feel deprived? Because I've allowed myself to get fat and I feel entitled. But I am not entitled - not if it means that I am derailing my progress. It will never make me happy, and I will only want more.

Long term, I have plans I hope to put into place to stop me gaining. It will involve exercise patterns where I exercise 5 times a week. It will involve writing diary or blog entries around my particular issues. (I am fairly sure I have B.E.D), especially my emotional attachment to food. I also have my son to consider, or will do from November.

In summary:

What benefits will I get from cheating?
Will they outweigh the drawbacks?
Will I derail my progress?
Why do I want to cheat?

I can do all of these in my head, in 2 minutes, although it is sometimes very useful to put a lot more time and thought into my rejection of a cheat. That ensures that I give proper attention to things.

Next time you want to cheat on a vlcd; instead of focusing on what you're missing out on, focus on what you will miss out on if you cheat.

Sorry, it's gotten rambly - hope at least some of this is useful. There is no reason to cheat, no force strong enough to make us eat. We'll do it, if we want to. So we have to want to lose weight more.

Andy

Like like like!!! X

Back