Thinking of coming back to RC, some advice plz

melko

Hi All

I used to go to a RC class that was near to me, a long time ago now, back in 1997 and I successfully lost 2.5 stones in 11 months.. I was much heavier and younger back then so I guess the weight just fell off (I was 18 yrs old and almost 13 stones, 5 foot 6 tall). Since then, I joined RC again, in class, in 2006 and lost a stone (I was 10.5 stones) but the past 18 months I put on a stone and I so want to lose it. As an attempt, I joined SW in 2008. There was no nearby RC near me anymore so SW was the nearest one and heard its very successful. I went for a year and I did not lose as much, maybe half a stone but it all went back on! I think I was eating too much rice and pasta as its free (meaning you can eat as much as you like). There is no portion or calorie concept so its a bit deceiving. I went back to the same SW group in 2011 for a few months but wasn't very successful then either. Also I felt there was a lot of competition in the group at SW, and this sometimes discouraged me (I don't have a lot to loose, I weight just over 11 stones now, so there was no way I can loose the 3 or 4 lbs a week loss which some of the bigger members were losing!). So now I am thinking of going back to RC, since I was the most successful at this one than SW. Also, with RC you can eat ready made sandwiches, or meals, snacks etc, on the go, as long as its 5% fat and within your calorie intake right? but unfortunately you cant do this on SW, because it will exceed your syn value, a sandwich will be a whole days syns allowance (15 syns). Anyone whos done SW will know what I mean. There is no RC class near me anymore so I am thinking doing it on line now. I prefer this was there's no competition and just me.

I wanted to ask how people are finding RC on line, and if they feel hungry? I sometimes did felt deprived when on RC in 2006 and was limited with fruit (5 pieces a day and I love fruit!), and weighing became a bit of a hassle but I feel I will be loose the weight quicker than SW and hopefully keep it off. Also, can you swap some things out of the meals, e.g instead of tuna salad, you have chicken instead? how does it all work? I'd love to hear your thoughts, good or bad.

Thanks

Hiya melko sorry only just noticed this thread. I'm afraid I won't be terribly helpful as I am at a class not online, but I definitely think rc is a great way to shift weight. Yes you can have pre packed sandwiches and salads as long as they are less than 5% fat, which is great when you need something quick on the go. The weighing can be a bit of a pain but I think if you sign up online you get her portions pots which are great for measuring all different foods and give you a calorie amount. From what others have said, coming from sw can be a bit of a struggle going from eating as much pasta and potatoes etc as you want, but I suppose that can give you a better weight loss. If you didn't want to sign up online her website has so much information and I think you could easily lose weight with guidance from that- and on here lol. Bit quiet on his forum tbh tho lol

Anyway sorry for rambling, however you plan to lose your weight good luck :) and we'll done on your previous weigh loss. Let us know how you get on :D x

Oh and to add, yes you can switch foods, like you said tuna for chicken etc. I actually go with the flow and eat what I want provided it is within my calorie allowance and no more than 5% fat. That's the good thing about it, you can totally adjust it to your life. Her plans have main meals and power snacks but I tend to change it around depending on how hungry I am. Good luck x

Hi LucyNewMum

Thanks for your reply! Actually I am not doing rc on line, I bought her GI jeans diet book, it was very cheap on amazon (as its a few years old), and been following that since Monday(14th Jan). So far I am having a tough time, because the first 2 weeks are on 1200 a day, and I get hungry I been drinking water to overcome that and its seems to be helping. Its not clear exactly how many pieces of fruit you can have, it says 2 power snacks which must be fresh fruit in between meals. And then says to have 5 pieces of fruit and/or veg, and green vegetables are unlimited! So the information is a bit misleading, does it mean I can only have 2 pieces of fruit a day (for the 2 weeks kick start) or 7 pieces (5 pieces and the 2 power snacks). So far, I been have 2 power snacks a day and 1 extra piece of fruit, I find I need that one bit extra because its a few hours in between meals and I'm so hungry! I haven't seen any weight loss yet as its only been a few days, but after the 2 weeks, I will go on the 1500 calories a day, and finally have some chocolate! (no treats or alcohol allowed on 1200 calories its just to boost your weight loss before going on the 1500 a day)
I been weighing food out using standard kitchen scales, its a bit annoying but in the long run it will help. Only thing is I'm trying to work out the calorie content of a meal I am cooking, and according to my calculations, it should just come in at 400 a serving (if I am not too greedy with portion sizes!)

Thanks again.

Also, how are finding the class? is the leader motivating etc? Hope yours enjoying it and well done with your weight loss so far.

Hiya I think as long as you count the calories and dont go over your allowance then more fruit is fine :). I no what u mean bout 1200 cals, it is tough. But when I went up to 1400 it was strange, I actually didn't eat much over 1200. Think I must of gotten used to it.
Yeah the class is great. I think having the weigh in really stops me from eating, especially the few days leading up to it- I'm terrified of having a gain lol so I'm extra good. Also it's 45 minutes of exercise so i no I'm getting a decent workout at least once a week. My class instructor is great, she does motivated you alot and make you want to well.
I have been thinking of trying out different diets, the juddd one is really interesting me atm, along side rosemary conley but I'd still go to class I think I'd be more likely to cheat without the weigh in x

Hi

I hope your week has gone well. I did find it tough the first few days, I was hungry by mid morning and drank water to overcome that, so that's definitely helped. Though I haven't done as much exercise this week, mainly due to the weather being snow/ice outside, would have liked to go for a walk, or gym. Hopefully more this week. Having been following the diet for a week now, I don't feel so much hungry. I feel quite full at meal times, filling up with more veg such as brocolli, green beans, salads etc, and drink more water than I normally do (I didnt drink enough!). I got another week left on 1200 and I think I can mange it. Its been hard not to have the occasional treat, I dont go overboard but the odd biscuit with a cup of tea would be nice!. Still, I can see the results already, I weighed myself this morning (Sunday) and so far lost about 3 lbs! Well I know I should only weight myself on the same day and time to keep it consistent (Monday mornings for me), but hey I was eager to know..very pleased to see the needle goes left direction!

I've even come up with alternatives to what the books suggested. I really fancied some cheese yesterday, haven't had any in a while, and having some left in the fridge I used a mini baby bell light (44 kcal) chopped on top of a white pitta bread (160 kcal), sliced tomatoes and then grilled. I put a little balsamic vinegar on top of the tomatoes and was lovely! I calculated to check if was within 250 kcal and it was..so you're right about swapping foods. I dont have cheese very often because of the fat content but as a one off I enjoyed it.

Bring on week two. :))

Back