Thinking of doing Calorie Counting.

bradgirl

My Journey!
Hi all, I am thinking of doing Calorie Counting. At present I am doing Lighter Life, but find I am starting to feel like I need real food, and get my foodie social life back! On LL we have packets which cover 500-600 cals per day. I don't feel hungry, which has surprised me somewhat.
A friend of mine has suggested "Mynetdiary" for calorie counting, and has lost 2 dress sizes.
I have in the past, done WW, and lost 49lbs, but that was in the days of just points and not the more recent points system, I didn't get on well with the more recent points.

Question I have is, if I start taking on more calories of around 1200-1500, from what I am on, how will this affect me? No doubt a Gain, but should I start eating real (Low Calories) food slowly... I have only been doing LL for 2 weeks.

How many calories are you on a day, to loose weight?

Any advise ?

Do it! Its the best thing I ever did! I started the Cambridge but only lasted two weeks (too expensive and made me miserable!)

Been doing CC for a month today and Im 2lbs off losing a stone! Im keeping to 1200cal a day but sometimes (mostly the weekends) go over but it doesnt seem to have affected my weight loss so far. I prefer CC because it doesnt cost anything and since doing it Ive educated myself about healthy choices and Ive changed my whole attitude towards food. My other half is currently sat here eating pakora and a burger and I am snacking on fruit! Oh how times have changed! =P

Give it a go ! You dont have anything to lose (Except the weight you want rid of) and Good Luck! Hope CC is as good for you as it was for me =)

Thanks for your reply, I will give it some thought.

I've been using MFP for 2 and a half weeks and I have lots 9lbs. Before that, I was doing healthy eating and lost 9lbs on my own but this is teaching me much more about portion size etc. More importantly you are accountable to something for what you eat. :) That and I don't feel hungry and if I exercise I often struggle to reach my calories for the day!

Great hearing success stories with MFP! To think I put off and put off losing weight cos I thought it would be too hard. But Ive managed brilliantly and have been suggesting it to all my family and friends! I do think you need to really want to lose weight though. If your hearts not in it then its a waste of time. The amount of times Ive surprised myself and said no to something Id normally swallow whole! And Greggs and MacDonalds just dont intice (spelling apologies) me like they used to! =)

Great hearing success stories with MFP! To think I put off and put off losing weight cos I thought it would be too hard. But Ive managed brilliantly and have been suggesting it to all my family and friends! I do think you need to really want to lose weight though. If your hearts not in it then its a waste of time. The amount of times Ive surprised myself and said no to something Id normally swallow whole! And Greggs and MacDonalds just dont intice (spelling apologies) me like they used to! =)

Definitely something to do because you want to. There is no point in being half-hearted.

Thanks everyone, I have had a look My fitness pal, looks very good, also been recommend mynetdiary -
I am doing one for week on LighterLife - just changing from total to lite, then I hope todo calories.

How many calories are you per day? Also how do you separate it up during the day?

Im on 1200 a day and dont divide them up in any particular way. I just eat what I want and stop when Ive used up all my cals =) x

I generally eat about 350 for breakfast, 450 for lunch and then about 450-500 for dinner. My allowance is 1440 a day but I am generally under because of exercise. My average was about 1200 last week. :)

Are these calories healthy calories, and do you take into the count the fat, protein, carbohydrates etc...?

My Fitness Pal kind of encourages you to do it healthy kind of inadvertently. You can get a break down of your nutrition in one week (For example, I was over on my Unsatured Fat last week) and there's a pie chart feature that lets you compare you protein, fat and carb balance.

Using it for healthy calories is just sensible because you get to eat more. A snickers is 275 calories. My breakfast was 273 this morning and I had a bowl of cereal and a yoghurt. It helps you make sensible choices that way :)

I've been using MFP for 2 and a half weeks and I have lots 9lbs. Before that, I was doing healthy eating and lost 9lbs on my own but this is teaching me much more about portion size etc. More importantly you are accountable to something for what you eat. :) That and I don't feel hungry and if I exercise I often struggle to reach my calories for the day!

100% agree

I can only back everyone else up in what they are saying, but also talk to your LL councillor

Hi all, I am thinking of doing Calorie Counting. At present I am doing Lighter Life, but find I am starting to feel like I need real food, and get my foodie social life back! On LL we have packets which cover 500-600 cals per day. I don't feel hungry, which has surprised me somewhat.
A friend of mine has suggested "Mynetdiary" for calorie counting, and has lost 2 dress sizes.
I have in the past, done WW, and lost 49lbs, but that was in the days of just points and not the more recent points system, I didn't get on well with the more recent points.

Question I have is, if I start taking on more calories of around 1200-1500, from what I am on, how will this affect me? No doubt a Gain, but should I start eating real (Low Calories) food slowly... I have only been doing LL for 2 weeks.

How many calories are you on a day, to loose weight?

Any advise ?

Hi there, I think you are right to give CC a go, I have done both Cambridge and LL over the past 5 years many times - lost 6 stone twice on it and twice put it back on and more. Its so much money wasted down the drain and it isnt good for your body either. Dont get me wrong, I would still recommend CD and LL to people but if you have tried it and its not working you can easily get obsessed over it which is what I did and 5years later Im the heaviest I have ever been. That said however, if you are not hungry and just craving food - maybe try sticking to it? (if you are losing weight?) - you have to be sure its the right choice for you. I have come of CD and LL for the wrong reasons many times - ie it was my cravings making me justify stopping. Now I am sure for me calorie counting and exercise is the way to go but everyone is different.

If you decide to come off LL - two options:-

1) Come straight off and stick to a no carb diet for a few weeks - this will help with the weight gain. In the first week of LL, you lose a lot of water/glycogen store weight. When I stopped I put 11lbs on in 3days just eating a normals days amount of food so dont be put off if this happens. Keeping to low carb will help with this and once your body balances you will start to lose again. I often wonder how "true" the weight loss with shakes diets is.

2) Still take the shakes for a couple of weeks. On CD there is a 6week maintenance stage where you gradually introduce food while still taking shakes so for 2 weeks have 3shakes and a small protein meal, then 2shakes and a protein meal with a bit of carb etc. You are less likely to gain this way but it means paying for 6 weeks worth of shakes and if LL is still as strict as they used to, you might not want to mention you are leaving and still pay for a full weeks worth.

Goodluck...oh and My Fitness Pal has been recommended to me too :D

Bride2Be2013 said:
Hi there, I think you are right to give CC a go, I have done both Cambridge and LL over the past 5 years many times - lost 6 stone twice on it and twice put it back on and more. Its so much money wasted down the drain and it isnt good for your body either. Dont get me wrong, I would still recommend CD and LL to people but if you have tried it and its not working you can easily get obsessed over it which is what I did and 5years later Im the heaviest I have ever been. That said however, if you are not hungry and just craving food - maybe try sticking to it? (if you are losing weight?) - you have to be sure its the right choice for you. I have come of CD and LL for the wrong reasons many times - ie it was my cravings making me justify stopping. Now I am sure for me calorie counting and exercise is the way to go but everyone is different.

If you decide to come off LL - two options:-

1) Come straight off and stick to a no carb diet for a few weeks - this will help with the weight gain. In the first week of LL, you lose a lot of water/glycogen store weight. When I stopped I put 11lbs on in 3days just eating a normals days amount of food so dont be put off if this happens. Keeping to low carb will help with this and once your body balances you will start to lose again. I often wonder how "true" the weight loss with shakes diets is.

2) Still take the shakes for a couple of weeks. On CD there is a 6week maintenance stage where you gradually introduce food while still taking shakes so for 2 weeks have 3shakes and a small protein meal, then 2shakes and a protein meal with a bit of carb etc. You are less likely to gain this way but it means paying for 6 weeks worth of shakes and if LL is still as strict as they used to, you might not want to mention you are leaving and still pay for a full weeks worth.

Goodluck...oh and My Fitness Pal has been recommended to me too :D

Thanks for this info, I have decided to stay with LLL and by having the real food meal is helping and now feel doable with the social life. Also have found myfitnesspal, very useful letting me know what protein, fat, carbs etc I am having plus the calories.
I am also realising that I must have been eating so much food before I started L L. I still do not feel hungry and seem to have the energy. I enjoy the shakes, soup and bars, but although I liked the "meal - dinner" suggestions, I am not missing them !

At the moment I am on around 800-1000 cals, breakfast - 125 cals shake, lunch -soup 132 cals, dinner around 390cals, snack bar- 204.Total =851 cals, carbs 53, fat 35, protein 81. If I was to go back to 40g porridge oats = 142 cals, lunch use to be a soup say Heinz 200= 110 cals or even better homemade vegetable soup, would be lots better, watching which fresh vegetable I make, this would also be better as I would get the right nurturions for the body. I could still have a heathy bar there are loads around.

At the end of the day, I was eating out of control not caring what I was putting in my mouth, and probably not tasting it either! Of course it wasn't just food, it was also the wine/champagne ! I am pleased I have found calories, that has given me lots to think about and works well with other foods in the house. I had lost 50 lbs with WW , but didn't manage to keep it off, I ended up gaining 25lbs. I lost those pounds with their first "point" system, but when they changed it again - it completely confused me. Got on well with the core, until they changed that also.

I suppose it is what ever works for you and how committed we are to ourselves. What is our goal for ourselves, how do we see ourselves when we are with other people. How our clothes fit us, and also how the "photo" looks ! Whether it is a holiday snap or a " Bride to be 2013". We want "us" to look fantastic .

Good luck to us both .......

Back