this house is making my boy poorly

lilprincessvic

Gold Member
Hi guys i need some help.

I moved into the house i am in in March this year on a 1 year contract. Over the summer we have been very happy with it but in the past couple of weeks we have noticed damp. The celler is totally covered in damp and it hurts my chest to go down there and now my boys bedroom seems to be. He wakes up every night coughing and the room smells like wet clothes.
We dont have any spare money so cant fix the problem and now we really just want to move. Does anyone know anyway of getting out of a contract early??

Thats what I was thinking but not all landlords are as accomodating as they should be. Hope yours will do something. CAB tend to be good with this type of thing.Not sure how you stand legally but they could tell you. Good luck and hope the little one is better soon.

Have you contacted him about this yet though?

Yer he just said to see how it goes :-(

I dont want to jump to conclusions about how you have dealt with your landlord, but I do think you should put your foot down with him. Tell him to fix it or you leave in x amount of weeks. Do it in writing too and then you have proof. Technically you could get out of it by breach of contract on his part if your contract says he is responsible for the maintenance of the property.

Oo thanks we will try that. He can b really funny and our neighbours told ua to be careful when we moved in cos he can b dodgy. This is the problem with been private n not through an agency. Will try putting it in writing. Thanks z

When I first moved out of home (at 16, nine months pregnant with my first baby), I moved into a flat with my then, partner. Same scenario. We moved in to the flat in summer and everything seemed lovely. Then winter came, and along with it, mildew and condensation.

It actually got so bad, that we had mushrooms (MUSHROOMS!!!) growing on the carpet near the back sliding door. I mean, OMG. So I got on to my landlord, who sent painters in. FFS, it did not help. It just grew over the new paint.
So I took photographs, and sent them to the council to get myself on the list. I didn't actually get out of that flat until I was 21.
In the meantime, I sent in a letter stating that they were in breach of contract and that I was witholding rent until the problem was fixed. Which it was, fast. They had to come in and drill air vents. There were vents on the wall... plastic covers, at least, but when they were taken off, there was no vent behind them!!

Some landlords are really dodgy, and I wouldn't recommend not paying rent to anyone, but in my case it worked. Just make sure you save all that rent and don't spend it lol

Hi there

Make sure that you send any complaints etc to your landlord by recorded delivery so you have proof he has received them. Keep copies of the letters too and check on line to make sure he has signed for his (make a note of the date and name (incase his partner etc signs) -on the back of your copies. I wouldn't deal with him face to face as you have no proof of anything said - Plus as he doesn't appear to be a decent landlord I would get everything on an official footing -he is less likely to think you a push over -its easier to say exactly what you want on paper, when there is no-one to interrupt you or give you sob stories ;)
Also as someone said -get to the CAB -being a tenant or a landlord is a minefield,
The cab will tell you who you need to get out to check the house also if they consider your house unfit to live in then your landlord is responsible for paying for somewhere for you to live whilst it is sorted (you still have to pay him the rent on the property -but he has to find other accomodation for you at his expense) -that will probably be enough to get him shifting ;) -whatever you do don't with hold your rent as then YOU are in breech of contract and he can use it against you.
Also -not exactly related to your problem right now BUT if you are renting without going through a letting agent check he has your bond in a secure deposit scheme -its now law that it goes in 1 of 3 special places -the CAB -or someone on here may know the name of the 3 (if not -give me a yell and I will look it up for you) -if he hasn't put your money in one of those then when you move out you can apply through the small claims court for 3 times the bond you paid...
Hope you get it sorted soon....

Hi there

Also -not exactly related to your problem right now BUT if you are renting without going through a letting agent check he has your bond in a secure deposit scheme -its now law that it goes in 1 of 3 special places -the CAB -or someone on here may know the name of the 3 (if not -give me a yell and I will look it up for you) -if he hasn't put your money in one of those then when you move out you can apply through the small claims court for 3 times the bond you paid...
Hope you get it sorted soon....

Does that only count in England or would it work in Jersey too.

Hi there

Make sure that you send any complaints etc to your landlord by recorded delivery so you have proof he has received them. Keep copies of the letters too and check on line to make sure he has signed for his (make a note of the date and name (incase his partner etc signs) -on the back of your copies.

Also, you can sometimes when a person has signed for a recorded delivery you can print off the page showing the signature from the Royal Mail website so you have absolute proof that it has been delivered and signed for (can't always do this - but it does it sometimes, always worth a look when the letter has been delivered - usually after a few days)

Remember though that Recorded and Special Delivery will be signed by whoever opens the door of the house it's addressed to. Signatures are often illegible, especially on PDAs as they are pixelated so look like an etch a sketch! So you can have proof it arrived at his house only.

Back