Three leeks - three lunches

(Yes, OK, there was more to it than just three leeks, but it made for a catchy header!)

I am back from my holidays and need to get back on plan and also to economise. So I am getting the most out of everything I cook.

Yesterday I made a simple leek and potato soup. Three leeks sliced, one large potato diced, 500ml chicken stock (made with a Knorr Stockpot), salt, pepper, nutmeg. Blitzed it to a lumpy texture (I like my soups chunky). I had two bowls of that for lunch with some bread.

For lunch today, I added to the leftover soup - half a butternut squash, diced, four skinless/boneless chicken thighs, fat trimmed, cut into six pieces each, and some finely chopped fresh ginger. Simmered that until everything was well cooked. Lunch today was a bowl and a half of that.

The remainder has been frozen and will make a sauce for pasta for some future lunch.

Wow you must have made a huge batch!

There was rather a lot of it to start with!! But there is only me to feed, so I knew it was going to do more than one meal, but I wanted to make each one a bit different.

A cook after my own heart !!!

Love leek and potato, will be shopping for leeks today on our Sunday market !!!

Thanks for the inspiration.

I just love leeks. On holiday in Jersey last week I was standing in a field of them (good vantage point for a photo of Gorey Castle!), just breathing in!

Then that evening we were in a restaurant where one of the specials was chicken and tarragon with local baby leeks and garlic mash. Just had to have it - no way of knowing if they were the same leeks I had seen in the morning (OK, probably not!) but anyway it seemed like a sign!

I just love leeks. On holiday in Jersey last week I was standing in a field of them (good vantage point for a photo of Gorey Castle!), just breathing in!

Then that evening we were in a restaurant where one of the specials was chicken and tarragon with local baby leeks and garlic mash. Just had to have it - no way of knowing if they were the same leeks I had seen in the morning (OK, probably not!) but anyway it seemed like a sign!

Oh that sounds divine. My mouth is watering. Tarragon is one of my favourite herbs. It is amazing in an omelet

Back