Tight Budget recipes

clarey/cos said:
Dyu think u cud make a Thai red curry with the coconut yog??

This has been on my MUST TRY list for weeks ! Still not got round but I thing to make it a good EE recipe it needs more super free veg added anyone added some nice combinations?
Or has anyone added a veg that they think not again! As personally I can't eat everything with peas!

For a budget meal make up a sachet of I used tomato pasta (free) then open a tin of ratatouille (waitrose essential 69p 1SYN) add one packet frozen steam Veg ( Aldi make are as good if not better at nearly 1/2 the price of Bird's Eye 79p/ 4 sachets! 3min in micro)
I added the one with baby carrots green beans and baby sweet corn
Mix all together add seasoning to taste (anything to suit yourself garlic pdr ,onion pdr, basil salt pepper tomat pureé sweetner to taste curry or chilly pdr are just a few varieties)
And this is plenty for two or if you want it to go further serve with jacket potato!
It's a SFTFC (Syn Free Tasty Fast and Cheap) recipe comes in at about 70p per person!

That's a good idea, I never make just one portion of anything, but I am a big fan of freezing because that way you don't have to have two meals the same in a row, I have found that you can freeze most things tbh, although my boyfriend laughs at me!

I'm the same JMcK - my bf HATES that I keep little pots from his takeaways so i can fill them up with stuff for the freezer. i use it for lunches for work mostly and he hates having to wash them up lol!

in terms of cheap meals - omelettes are really good as you can add as little or as much as you like - ham and onion is a fav in our house. If you use more egg then they can be filling enough too.

I am feeling the need to revivie this thread in the post christmas tight budget period that I ALWAYS go through. Tonight I am using leftover chicken from a road I made yesterday - it was a Morrissons Savers chicken and cost me £2.50. It did 2 of us for a roast yesterday, will be enough for 2 of us to have for stir fry today and still more for either another chicken dish (maybe a pasta type dish) or soup!

Today's stir fry will be peppers, courgette, spring onion, soya beans, green beans and chicken with some Thai green spices and maybe a few rice noodles! (oooh I could make a chicken noodle soup..........)

It a good thread :) cheap swaps I've found is using quorn chicken pieces instead of real chicken, 2 bags for £3 at the min in asda :) I'd like some cheap meal ideas though, to revive my dinners! X

I did a real big food shop after xmas to get lots of freezer stuff so I am going to be trying to eat down all that i have and not continuously buying new things (which is a bad habit of mine). Over the weekend I will look at some options and put together a meal plan.

Unfortauntely I only have a tiny freezer so I cant batch cook that often. How the speedy tomato soup which is like 1£ for 4 portions stays in the fridge for a good few days and does the trick.
its just 2 tins of chopped toms, a tin of baked beans, a tin of sliced carrots, a pickled onion and some stock and seasoning :)

I've also just invested in a slow cooker in the sales (10£!) and this means I can buy cheaper cuts of meat x

that was what attracted me to it - and also the commute. i cant wait to see how it feels to walk in the door and dinner is actually ready without me having to do any cooking!! I have some pork shops in the freezer that I am going to chop up and use!

what a great thread, mushy pea curry sounds interesting ,will def try it

Back