Time for change...

BlackCat

Here we go...

Okay, so I had planned to start last week - but that didn't work out! So its 'start take 2' - have really go to get focussed. Yesterday I had a chocolate shake made into two hot drinks, for tea I had a chicken soup (admittedly with a few bits of cooked chicken); followed later in the evening with the butterscotch dessert thing.

I didn't get the consistency right with the soup or dessert; soup too watery and dessert too thick (go figure). Today I had the vanilla shake again made into two hot drinks (with added coffee) and tonight it'll be the tomato and basil soup (going to add some red pepper to that and some chillies) and then I'll have another go at the butterscotch dessert.

I know that doing TS means I really shouldn't be 'adding' stuff -but it will help me get into this and used to the taste. I'm not adding much - but it does make a difference. The thing I'm struggling with is the water intake - not because I don't like water, I do -but I'm in and out of meetings a lot and just don't think about it. So I need to work on that.

Anyway - have decided to post this as a diary to keep myself on track.

Hi blackcat, how is it going for you. Don't be to hard on yourself for adding extras, check the exante website some herbs and spices are fine and as long as they keep you on track, that's great. I don't think I could stomach any of the soups, so I'm sticking to 2 shakes and a bar each day, adding coffee to the shakes, because I find them so sweet.

Thanks amz12. So far so good - day 3 done and dusted :D

Am struggling to get my water intake up - today was particularly hard because I've been interviewing all day with very few breaks in-between. Ended the day with a bit of a headache and getting that metallic taste in my mouth, which hopefully means the 'ket0-genie' is on the way. I'm not really struggling with hunger though, well not at the moment -but I recognise its early days.

Today I had a choc/orange bar, a chicken soup (with lots of black pepper) and another butterscotch dessert mix. I've found adding an extra 20mls to the recommended water amounts works best for me. The butterscotch dessert was a better consistency and reminded me of the Angel Delights I used to have back in the day.

I did make up the syrup porridge for breakfast - but couldn't eat it. Firstly I don't think it 'cooked' properly and I found it a bit too sweet for my taste. I do have more, so will have another go over the weekend. Am going to have a few cold shakes made properly in a blender as well over the weekend - I don't like them made up in the shaker beakers, nor do I like them too thick, but made with lots of ice and blended properly should make them more like a milkshake.

I'm have to admit I'm a bit anxious about the weekend, I know I just need to stay focussed. When I did the Cambridge Diet many moons ago I found that once I'd gotten through the first week/weekend I found it relatively easy to stay on plan. Mind you - with Cambridge you had to collect your weekly products direct from one of their 'counsellors' and get weighed at the same time - kinda kept me on track.

Well now methinks I'm going to have an early night (well early for me).

Coming to the end of day 6 for me and its a bit of a weird day for me feeling a bit low & meh, trying to stay motivated. Everyone has such a big loss in their first week and so far the scales are only going down a bit. I don't fell hungry but I could self sabotage just because my emotions get the better of me.

I am sticking to 2 shakes and 1 bar every day. Shake for breakfasts and dinner and the bar for lunch. I find the bars a bit dry, so I usually drink about a liter of water with it. I usually try to have 2.5 liters of water a day and the water I use to make the shakes, so all together about 3 liters and a bit. I try to drink it all by 5 o'clock so I don't have to go during the night. During the weekend I am planning to hibernate in the house, a bit of reading and TV.

This is the first VLCD for me but definitely not my first diet. I checked my fitness pal and 2 years ago I got down to 49 kg from 73 kg and now I weigh even more that starting weight. So I know I can do it but its just so much harder.

Hope today has been a good day for you. Keep me updated, I know support makes all the difference.

Right day 4. I don't plan on doing a daily 'what I had in a day' update all the time, just think it'll help me keep on it for the first week.

Been another busy day at work -am on a series of interview panels this week which is really interfering with my water intake ambitions. There's very little time between each candidate, so I can't keep dashing out to the loo! Next week it'll be better and I'll up my fluid intake over the weekend to try and make up for it. I'm not expecting a massive loss this week because I know I'm still retaining a lot of water (swollen ankles are a bit of a giveaway).

Today I've had a vanilla shake (hot drink x 2) and a chicken soup (meh, didn't like it as much as yesterday but might have something to do with this weird taste I have in my mouth). Am going to end the day with a nice pina colada / ice blended shake in a mo - am feeling a little under the weather today, sore throat and an irritating cough. So many folksy's at work are suffering with one bug or another and seems they've decided to share o_O so early night it is for me again methinks.

Well, its 4am Saturday morning and I'm wide awake - why, well... the head cold I've been battling with over the last couple of days has now hit me with a vengeance. I've been lying in my bed for the last half hour trying to go back to sleep, but the 'thump...thump...thump' in my head has decided otherwise. So I got up and grabbed a couple of pills from the bathroom, whilst there I thought that I may as well weigh myself and am pleased that I've lost 5lbs in 5 days. Saturday morning will probably be my weekly weigh-in day from now on, but I will check the scales on Monday (a full 7 days from starting) just to see what it says out of interest.

I imagine I'll be spending most of my day on the sofa, snuggled under a blanket with my fur babies :) Am not feeling particularly hungry but will try and up my water intake this weekend and will probably stick with shakes; nice cold ones that will help sooth the raging throat! Time to dig out some box sets and just let the cold run its course.

So how are you now Blackcat? Nothing worse than doing this AND being sick! makes me run for the hills - at least it's weekend so you can rest up and get the worst out of the way! Don't forget your fluids either, helps with cold and such.

Still suffering :(

Spent most of the day on the sofa and will probably do the same again today. Am right pee'd off! My weekend is the only time I get to do the crafting I love, my pastime and passion and I'm frustrated that I have absolutely no energy to do. Also, working full-time the weekend is a time for the more mundane chores we all have to do (housework and so on) and I don't even have the energy to pick up a dust cloth (not minding that so much ;))

I suffer with asthma and always with a cold my concern is if it develops into a chest infection and I've a feeling its heading that way - so I've no option other than to rest and wait it out...

On the plus side - I'm really not hungry and having cold shakes (not having to think about food) is helping. Am disappointed with the syrup porridge (I do like a porridge for brekkie) but I find this one just too sweet. It's a shame Exante seem to have stopped doing the plan porridge or oatmeal they used to do - what's with that? I know companies have to switch things up from time to time, but looking at the Exante product options, and reading other comments on the forum, they seem to be doing that a little too much at the moment.

Anyway, it's a dull grey day today and am currently sat in bed, with a nice cup of tea, having downed the obligatory headache pill. As soon as this thumping headache subsides I plan to jump in the shower so I feel a bit more human and snuggle down on the sofa. I have a ritual of watching various Sunday morning programmes, followed by a long and chatty telephone call with my lovely daughter who lives a 100+ miles away - after that I usually do a bit of crafting (beading or papercraft) so instead I'll spend a while googling things and add to my never-ending list of things I'd like to make someday.

Hi BlackCat, hope you're doing better! I hear you about the chest infections, my son used to get them as soon as he caught a cold, which seemed like every other week up until last year. I don't know if it's his constitution that's gotten stronger along with all the probiotics I've fed him... but last year was the first time it wasn't drastic-like.

They have an original porridge - I still haven't tried it though. I have the golden syrup, apple and cinnamon as well as the blueberry one, and by far I like the golden syrup one!

It's going to be nice and sunny here this week - but as I'm scheduled to go to Stuttgart on Wednesday, I will soak up all the sun I can at lunch today!

Hope you have a good one today

Erm, still not 100% and have had to call in sick today - I woke feeling like I'd gone ten rounds with Tyson! Head banging and the ringing in my ears is getting beyond a joke (tinnitus sucks). I think I'm managing to stave off a chest infection though, which is something.

I've had another look at the Exante site and the only porridge I can see is the syrup one, other than a protein porridge that's in their Balance range for maintainers and that one is too high (23%) carb wise for me.tc

This head cold has also done something to my taste buds because everything I have tastes the same and, oddly, a bit salty -not sure what's going on. So am sticking with a staple of chocolate and vanilla shakes; there's no point having anything else at the moment. Being at home helps with the water intake - so that's a bonus, but am now getting rather bored of feeling ill. I'm hoping for another 5lbs off this week -but wonder if having a cold might interfere with the plan at all - we'll see when I weigh-in on Saturday. Anyway, think I'll go grab a nice cup of coffee and carry on watching season 7 of Game of Thrones - recorded the whole series ages ago and am only now catch up on it. Silver linings and all that...

Well I think I'm finally over the worst of it - another day at home, but today I'm feeling a tad more human. Yesterday I really struggled with the products and ended up having 2 shakes and a small plain omelette with a few mushrooms for my tea. I just felt I needed some normal food - not down to hunger, but because the shakes just tasted weird and salty!

Today am back on it having had a porridge for breakfast and chocolate/orange bar for lunch - my taste has returned (yey). My head has stopped thumping, although the tinnitus is still there (seriously had enough of that now). Had a lovely lie-in earlier, got up slowly and have just mooched around the house in my comfies. Nice to do for a day, but I'm aware they'll be a mountain of emails waiting for when I walk back in the office tomorrow :( Well that's tomorrow, might as well make the most of the rest of the afternoon chilling.

Week 2 - 2lb loss

Hmm, would have liked a bit more (greedy eh) but I'll take that - means I've lost 7lbs in 2 weeks which means I'm on target (hopefully) for a stone off in a month. I think my WL slightly stalled this week and my body is determined to cling onto its fat cells (dammit). I do need to up my water intake - yep, still not quite got that down (literally). Have a pint of squash (just a dash of no sugar orange and mango) with me as I type.

Hubby is at work today, doing a bit of overtime (Christmas is looming) and I've finished my 'boring' chores and now have time to play. So I'm going to try and finish the beaded Christmas ornament I promised to make my daughter and I've got lots of crafting projects lining up. I like to spend a few hours on Saturdays and Sundays just playing with paper and beads :)

Had a porridge for breakfast and planning on a soup later for lunch. Not sure what I'll do for tea - but might turn one of the shakes into a mousse.

Although its autumn, we're having a few late summer days this weekend -and its lovely looking out into the garden with the sun shining, so I may venture out and do a bit of tidying before the rain returns.

Well, that's my day so far - time to crack on with the beading.

Hi BlackCat - pleased that you're doing so well! I do think the body likes to hang on to those fat cells too! then if you drink, from one day to the next it's like "presto" - gone!!

My endocrinologist told me once about body memory - whether you gain or lose, the body will stall for a while at a weight you were at for a while - I think that's why I've been at this weight for 2-3 weeks, Up or down but still hovering at 100kg! I need to hurry up, I know where my next stall will be too - at exactly 94kg - I stayed there for 6 months most of 2015 and then at 90... which is 200lbs, never made it to 199lbs since I got sick and had to stop - but I maintained this weight as well. SOOOO annoying
Apparently, if you bear down and continue on plan no matter what, the body decides one day that since you're not going to change, it's going to have to adapt - then another woosh will come along. That body of ours, so tricky!

The autumn is being awesome here as well - don't you feel in a better mood when it's sunny? Downright uplifting

Anyway, good luck on the beading! how old is your daughter?

Thanks Elm2 (hope its okay to shorten your tag). Interesting thought about the body memory - just hope mine doesn't stall too often. As you may have guessed, I've not got on with my beading - yet. I've been catching up on a few diaries and popped over to have a read of SummerChic's (great read). I really much crack on with it now though; before long my hubby will be home and that'll put an end to my 'playtime' :D

I've got two young people - can't really call them 'kids' any more -but they are my babies and always will be. My son is 28, not far off 29 and he's given me a beautiful 6 year old grand-daughter. My daughter is 31 and she is my best friend (okay, I'm still the parent, but we are very close). Sadly they both live quite a few miles away (6 hour drive) -so I don't see them anywhere near as much as I'd like. My son moved away years ago, my daughter only in the last couple - broke my heart when she left, not that I didn't shed a good few tears when my son left home too. Boy is it hard when your little fledglings fly the nest! She's about to move into her own little flat and is looking forward to spending her first Christmas there, so she's made me promise to make her a Christmas tree ornament and wants me to make one every year so that eventually her tree will be full of things I've made (she's being a wee too optimistic there methinks). Gosh, I've spouted on a bit haven't it, but what can I say, I'm a sharer :D

Now - back to the beads!

Last edited:
love hearing about close-knit families!! warms the heart... I hear about so much dysfunctional stuff - sometimes normalcy isn't the average anymore, especially where parent-kid relationships are concerned, so thank you for sharing!

We are close and for that I'm grateful - could not imagine or bear the thought of being estranged from my 'young ones'.

I've struggled, diet wise, today - nothing to do with hunger, perhaps though to do with coming out of the end of a pretty shitty head cold. I gave in an had 'real' food tonight. Dried fried up some chicken, mushrooms and onion - served on with a nice green salad. I feel bad, but I ate it all and am now kicking myself up the butt!! Tomorrow I'll be back on it - 100%.

Like (you) Elm2 I'm giving myself until Christmas to see how much I can lose and will then decide whether to stick with a vlcd or move onto a different plan for the remainder. One of my sisters has lost a bunch of weight following a low carb 'keto-style' plan and that'll probably be my choice when I eventually move onto something else. Carbs make me feel bloated.

But right now I have quite a bit to lose and I need to put thoughts of what I might do next away - for now I need to focus on this and get my head 100% back in the game.

Oh no!! Yeah it’s hard to vlcd with a cold... I remember last time I was successful at it I was always cold and catching one thing or another. This time I’m never cold and I’ve been taking probiotics for 2 years now. Never a cold or flu stomach or otherwise...

Shopping with my daughter and she’s decided that she’s hungry and cannot take another step without food. So I’m off plan with a cold artichoke soup - served on a bread but that I won’t partake!
Carbs bloat me up big time as well, I usually stay away from them - as it makes my blood sugar spike way too high!

Back with the land of the living today - aside from an irritating cough, the cold symptoms have subsided. Sunday was a bit of a washout, diet-wise - but I'm not going to dwell on that and have drawn a line under the weekend. Today so far its been a cold shake for breakfast, 2 x hot shakes (vanilla with coffee) for lunch and I'll be grabbing one of my soups for tea. So back on it 98ish%. Maybe I should have started this in the summer (not that we had much 'sun' this year) but I've always found it easier to stick to things like this when the sun is shining. As you said, Elm2, it lifts the mood. In the colder climes I just want to eat warm food stuffs like stews and suchlike. But I'm not going to make this harder for myself than it should be - so if I fancy throwing a few extra bits, like veg and chicken, into my evening soups I will. I guess I ought to change the 'tag' of this diary and remove the TS label (but I'm not sure I can).

So if anyone reads this who is sticking to the TS like glue - my apologies for any foodie references (and why I give myself 98% out of 100% :D)

yeah, I ordered some chili and curry pots for the warm stuff... I'm not a shake fan, but also i'm lactose intolerant and it's in a lot of their stuff like the sous.. not even just the creamy ones! :eek:

You can talk to me about food no prob as it's your diary! :D I'm trying 100% TS, but sometimes, I have a protein to help me continue

I know about the summer thing, it is easier to start at the beginning of summer than say January for me at least! Then I have April, may and June that are just JAMMED packed with private and professional goings-on... nooooooh I'm getting this done today!

Back