Extra Easy Time to take off the training wheels? No diary?

nearly

I thought everyone was keeping food diaries on SW (!) My consultant said I don't have to keep a food diary anymore. She said it's only for the first 4 weeks, and I continued to beyond 6 weeks.

I stopped then on Friday and over the weekend while away. I know I wasn't 100% on plan, as there were too many temptations. Though I didn't always succeed, I did my best to make the right decision at every meal... Going for fresh fruit salad and boiled eggs at breakfast, etc. And roast meat w steamed veg and no butter, etc.

I feel a bit untethered without the food diary. But I know I can't keep one for the rest of my life if I'm going to make this a way of life and not just a 'diet'.

When is it time to take off the training wheels?

When did you stop keeping a food diary?

I thought everyone was keeping food diaries on SW (!) My consultant said I don't have to keep a food diary anymore. She said it's only for the first 4 weeks, and I continued to beyond 6 weeks.

I stopped then on Friday and over the weekend while away. I know I wasn't 100% on plan, as there were too many temptations. Though I didn't always succeed, I did my best to make the right decision at every meal... Going for fresh fruit salad and boiled eggs at breakfast, etc. And roast meat w steamed veg and no butter, etc.

I feel a bit untethered without the food diary. But I know I can't keep one for the rest of my life if I'm going to make this a way of life and not just a 'diet'.

When is it time to take off the training wheels?

When did you stop keeping a food diary?

You don't need to keep a food diary. You only need to remember if you ave had an a and b choice and count to 15 for your syns. That said, so many people like to keep a food diary, i wrote my food down for over a year!!!!It's not a bad thing, just the consultant won't give you one unless you are struggling. Nothing to stop you writing it in a notepad though.

I am only 10lbs away from target having started SW in February last year. I dont keep a diary all the time but I am inclined to jot stuff down, its all to easy to 'forget' that odd Syn.

I've been doing it for over a year and have always written it down. I can't ever see myself not writing it down - I know I'd go straight off plan.

It's far too easy to slip into the "out of sight, out of mind - if it's not written down, it doesn't count" type of thing.

I still write everything down everyday in a pukka pad, the only difference now is that i dont set my book out like a SW food diary i just write it down as i have it. I have only done that since ive been at target though and i used to get all my food for the week on one page, i now use a page everyday for my food.

To be honest i dont think i need to write it down i just like keeping a track of what i eat now and i can look back and see how ive changed my eating habits as i have gone along.

Although i do think it is a good idea to keep track while you are still getting to target and you should when you reach target until you get to grips what works for you.

I plan on always writing it down. I know if I don't I will slip, the odd chip, crisp from the baby's bag etc will mount up and up until I am back where I was. I find writing it down and reading it back reinforces how much I have actually eaten and helps me make wise choices on how to 'spend' syns hex's.

i've got a notepad that i carry with me everywhere, i'm not writing everything down but keeping a note of my syns & hex's. I'm a returning member so think i'lll be doing this until target! I want to know if I have syns left at the end of the week for a chocolate bar etc!

An easy way is to use the SW ap on your phone because most of us today have our phone on us because if you use the ap to find out how many Syns in something you can just press add and it automatically goes to your daily food intake as others say it's so easy to slip a spoonful of this and that into your mouth without thinking or the odd sweet etc Having said they I haven't done it for months maybe now you've put it back in my mind I should do one as it would be quite interesting
You could always add a thread in the food diary section I always love to read others and am always in owe of their dedication in both what they eat and the fact that they write it down

OK. Having read everyone's replies, I'm feeling like a bit of a freak, with an OCD problem!!!!

I've been on SW for 3 years and 142 days* (today), will have been at target for 1 year (on Friday) and STILL KEEEP A FOOD DIARY!!!!

One of the reasons for the food diary is that I switch (often) between all three of the plans (and also throw in the odd SE and M2M days). Keeping the food diary helps me to remember what day I've got planned (and stops me eating 4 healthy extras instead of 2!!).The only times I've not kept the food diary are when I've been on holiday. The other reason for keeping a diary is the same reason I still go to group - it works for me!

My food diaries are notebooks - if anyone feels sorry for me and wants to buy me an up-to-date phone I won't say no!!!

*BTW the only reason for keeping track of what day number I'm on is that every 100 days me and my OH go out for a meal.

even if you don't keep a food diary I would suggest writting down your syns and healthy extra's. lots of people at my group do this as its easy to forget you've had something. I haven't been doing it for half of this week, partly because I've not been feeling too well and have been busy. I'm going to see how I get on, but as soon as I have an unexpected gain that will be the first thing I start doing again.

I do keep a diary on here though and can't imagine ever stopping that haha

I've been doing SW for almost 4 months and I still do a food diary. I used to use a notepad but I just use the online food diary now via the mobile site on my phone as I'm lazy and used to keep forgetting my notepad! Find what works for you - I think it helps to keep me focused personally :)

I like to keep my food diary on here so that I can count my syns properly and also so that I can look back on days. Also I like the food diary section in here because other people's gives me ideas.

i don't like the slimming world food diary set out, the way it goes in 1/3's it confused me a bit at the start. I write it down in meals, and add syns in brackets then I can see what syns I've had. I maybe won't keep a food diary when I'm at target, or maybe I will if I find I'm not sticking to it! X

I like to keep my food diary on here so that I can count my syns properly and also so that I can look back on days. Also I like the food diary section in here because other people's gives me ideas.

i don't like the slimming world food diary set out, the way it goes in 1/3's it confused me a bit at the start. I write it down in meals, and add syns in brackets then I can see what syns I've had. I maybe won't keep a food diary when I'm at target, or maybe I will if I find I'm not sticking to it! X

I do agree the slimming world one is a bit weird, I can see why they do it as if you say ''spag bol'' then your consultant doesn't know if you've had that with extra lean mince, oil, a jar ect. or how much superfree you've had. But I also think it must be hard for consultants to read sometimes when they have a list of foods but no idea what meals they involve.

I think that what she meant is that you haven't got to keep handing it in for her to check (she's probably inundated with new members at the moment). In my experience, most people at least note down their syn usage until they reach target, otherwise it's too easy to kid yourself and conveniently forget things (types Lucky as she remembers the tomato ketchup she used without noting this morning!!) I try not to put anything syn-ful in my mouth without noting it first. If I don't want to write it down then that tells me perhaps I should think twice before noshing it.

Obviously - each to their own, but I'm keeping hold of my food-diary crutch (I use a diary on here by the way).
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-food-diaries/302641-luckys-2013-diary.html

I do agree the slimming world one is a bit weird, I can see why they do it as if you say ''spag bol'' then your consultant doesn't know if you've had that with extra lean mince, oil, a jar ect. or how much superfree you've had. But I also think it must be hard for consultants to read sometimes when they have a list of foods but no idea what meals they involve.
Yeh, I can see it from that point of view but it is confusing when your a newbie. It just looks like a load of jumble on the paper lol x

Thanks all for the advice. I think I'll go back to a diary, and wait until I'm at target to start messing with a good thing.

I like the idea of keeping track of just HE As and Bs, as well as syns. Though, I think it's good to keep track of meals. I'll go back to keeping a diary again!

I've just started with a scrap of paper, and I'll get a small notebook when I get a chance.

I find the website kind of clunky and I don't understand the app... all the info is stored in the app, and not shared with the online account? It seems like the app is missing a trick. I'd rather be able to use either and have the syns information shared between both. My Fitness Pal connects the app to the site... but I can't be bothered calorie counting, and SW method is working for me. So! Paper it is!

Yeh, I can see it from that point of view but it is confusing when your a newbie. It just looks like a load of jumble on the paper lol x

I've been doing this 2 years and it still looks like a load of jumble!

I write a diary on here. i did try not writing it all down for a while - it didn't work. I also tried just recording my HEX's & syns , which again wasn't great.

I think the sad reality for me is that I use my diary as a planner for my food, and whilst I can see myself not writing down everything I eat eventually, I can't see how I will ever be able to not plan what I eat for the week!

Back