tinned stewing steak

Pot Mess

Tin of stewing steak, tin of new potatoes, tin of carrots and a tin of sweetcorn. All into a pot, heat on low. Water with a little gravy browning and a little cornflour made in the usual way (just syn it according) to make a nice thick gravy sauce (you don't need much as a lot comes from the stewing steak itself).

We used to have this when I was little and I use it a lot for camping. Quick and easy standby meal.

I sometimes have this and I chop some onions and mushrooms and mix them in and serve it with veg and potatoes depending on what day I'm having

You've just given me an idea for tea as both me and he hubby forgot to get the fish out of the freezer!

ive just read on a thread somewere on here that certain tinned stewing steak is free...
just wondered what you put it with for a meal..as i have only ever used it to go into a pie?

Which one please - could be a cupboard emergency meal? :D

oh wonder if you could use it as a filling for the instant mash pasties then you could make a syn free pasty EVEN BETTER.

Id love a pie like that - what sort of syns/portion could I get away with..with filo instead??

Filo pastry is very thin and very fragile it is in thin sheets so you couldn't roll it. To make a 'crust' with it you would have to scrunch it up and put it on top of the stewed steak and spray liberally with frylight.

The syns per portion would depend on how much filo you used . You would need to look up the syns online.

I brought a tin of this last Friday after hearing about it in the meeting the night before. Can't wait to try it sometime.

x

I made pie last night with it using light shortcrust pastry, we both felt like pie and thought this would be lower in syn than buying one.

I used 150g to cover the pie and it's 4 1/2syns per 25g so 27syns for the whole lot, I did actually eat half so 13 1/2syns!! It was nice but not that nice!!

It did sort out that craving we had for pie, but seriously it looked like cat food when I opened the tin!

Just looked this up on s w syns online. According to the website the M & S steak and kidney is free and the Tescos stewing steak are free only. Hope this helps

Back