tips for a presentation

big bear

A bear on a mission!
My husband has applied to do a management training scheme through work. Basically the bosses have weaned it down (25 places 150 being interviewed) & he's having an interview where he needs to do a presentation for 10 mins about his work experience/life.

The thing is he doesn't have computer skills (but advised this on app form)

Could he do one on paper?

Any tips on what to write?

He works for a huge well known nationwide organisation.

Any help appreciated. XX

Hiya - I think this link might help him out :) its a very thorough guide for anyone!

presentation skills training

xxx

Thanks for that, he really wants this but it's going to be difficult....just don't want him getting his hopes up then not getting it. He's shocked to get this far as there were about £250,000 applications :eek:

No problem doing one on paper, but if possible get him to do nice handouts that he can give to the interviewers at the beginning. Not many people will think to do that and it will make an impact (especially if the handout is on nice paper and looks professional)

Make lots of eye contact, stand up straight, try and keep it short yet interesting, and the most important thing (I know it's a cliche) tell him to be himself- what are his best qualities? Ensure these come out in the presentation so they see him at his very best

Promt cards are fine, but try not to just 'read' the entire presentation off the paper

Try and enjoy it!

Good luck to him
xxxx

No problem doing one on paper, but if possible get him to do nice handouts that he can give to the interviewers at the beginning. Not many people will think to do that and it will make an impact (especially if the handout is on nice paper and looks professional)

Make lots of eye contact, stand up straight, try and keep it short yet interesting, and the most important thing (I know it's a cliche) tell him to be himself- what are his best qualities? Ensure these come out in the presentation so they see him at his very best

Promt cards are fine, but try not to just 'read' the entire presentation off the paper

Try and enjoy it!

Good luck to him
xxxx

Brilliant, thanks some good tips. I'll probably end up typing it for him. He does know how to use the computer to play his games, watch DVDs, email but doesn't know the word/excel packages.

when we got taught presentation stuff we were also taught never to point at anyone with one finger - if you feel the need to point then use your whole hand. Strange I know but it does make a difference!

Practice what you are going to say - read it aloud at home. Listen to the sound of your own voice - do you sound confident? If not, do it again.

Reading it aloud is also good for timing.

Look everyone in the eye at least once, stand up straight, speak clearly, feel confident.

Have your notes in front of you, typed in a large font, with main points highlighted.

Now you know what you are going to say, because you have read it aloud at least once, you don't need to read your notes. Say what you have to say, keeping your head up, and only refer to the notes if you think you will get lost.

And remember - they chose you, so you must be at least as good as all the others and maybe better!

As a drama teacher I can wholeheartedly reccommend everything everyone has said.

They just want to get to know him and see what he's like. Obviously they choose to do this in a really unnatural way - standing in front of a room of people and speaking a monologue.

Make it natural and confident and you're onto a winner. Tell him good luck! xxx

If by a paper one you mean handwritten I would say that is a definite no no! Maybe not go for the full on Powerpoint presentation, but at least use Word. Word is simple, no different to formatting your posts on here - surely you could help him out?
Good luck though!

If by a paper one you mean handwritten I would say that is a definite no no! Maybe not go for the full on Powerpoint presentation, but at least use Word. Word is simple, no different to formatting your posts on here - surely you could help him out?
Good luck though!

I meant I'd type it up for him on Word, I could do a Powerpoint for him but surely that would be a cheat as he would've done it??

I meant I'd type it up for him on Word, I could do a Powerpoint for him but surely that would be a cheat as he would've done it??

I would sit with him while he does it - explain how to use teh MS tools. Probably for the best and if he gets the job he will likely need to know how to use them.

Back