Tips for sleep

chris_s

Less of a man each day
I'm really struggling with sleep.

Wake up lots and just lie in bed for hours with my mind racing overtime.

Any tips?

Me too.

I'm trying music at the moment. Something gentle, a bit of Jack Johnson of James Taylor, in the hope that after the albums have finished I've calmed my mind a little to be able to think about sleep.

Once again, it's Monday and I'm already knackered with no sleep.

Also, perhaps try Clipper Sleep Easy tea? I've not tried it myself, but my sister assures me you relax but can still get up in the morning unlike with sleeping tablets.

Hi Chris, its dredful when you cant sleep, im like it quite a lot but just lately ive tried something else. Try not to drink any fluids after 6pm (until what i suggest in a bit). Then, if you can, have a nice warm bath, not too hot. Then make yourself a warm milky drink like hot chocolate, then lights off and try to relax (easier said than done i know) gentle breathing exercises. I hope this helps chris, take care and let us know how you get on xxx

I bought Paul McKenna's "I can make you sleep" book and cd.
Whilst I didn't read all the book and follow the tips e.g. go to bed only when you are tired, not when a clock says so and always get up 30 mins before you are due to get up (this then makes you more tired and then go to bed earlier...), I found the cd amazing.
I put it onto my ipod and I go to sleep quickly, usually within minutes and I very very rarely get to the end of the cd (22 mins)
It worked for me.

Yeah, I'd save some Syns/part of your HEA for a cup of warm milk - the heating of the milk activates the tryptophan, which in turn can help to put you to sleep.

Don't drink too much though, otherwise you'll be up to the loo in the night!

Try reading something not too taxing - I find that helps me to sleep.

Cheers peeps, shall give some of these a try.

Anythings worth a shot, else i shall turn into something out of a Remero film!

When I am stressed I have terrible trouble getting to sleep. I lay there for hours with my mind going 100 mph. The only thing I have found that works for me is Nytol. It suggests taking two, but I only ever take one and within 30 mins I'm fast asleep and before I know it it's morning and I feel great.

I only take them for 2-3 nights on the trot, just to get out of the habit as I find that once I have had a bad night, that sets me off for serveral!!!

I know people don't like going down the tablet road, but it's the only thing that works for me.

with the Nytol, do you have to take them for a few days before they work? I generally have a lousy night on a Sunday and have about 3 hours sleep to get up for work Monday so im like death, id just love to sleep properly!! If they need a few days to kick in they arent worth it.

reading anything about a course i am doing!!!

have used nytol, worked well and only needed it for a couple of nights.

Agree, reading helps me too. I get annoyed with myself for worrying about stupid stuff and then not being able to sleep, try and tell myself it wouldnt be as interesting the next day (and it never is...doesnt help when I am the only one awake, even the dog sleeps infront of me to rub it in!). Whats bothering you, would writing it down give you a different perspective?

I can't do anything about what's on my mind. Just need to switch it off.

with the Nytol, do you have to take them for a few days before they work? I generally have a lousy night on a Sunday and have about 3 hours sleep to get up for work Monday so im like death, id just love to sleep properly!! If they need a few days to kick in they arent worth it.

They work as soon as you take them. They have the same added ingredient that is in antihistamines which cause drowsiness.

Back