Tips on regaining motivation

Joshwa

Hello all - first post,

My name's Josh and I currently weigh in at 14st 2lbs, 3st heaver than in January, and I'm severely struggling to get back into a routine to exercise regularly and efficiently.

In January I weighed 11st 2lbs and I must admit that my confidence was sky high, and I was absolutely loving myself and life. It's now coming up to November and I'm exactly 3st heavier, and I'm really starting to question my happiness.

I can't quite comprehend how, after losing nearly 9st since April 2010 (I used to be 20st), I can't get back into a routine to keep at -what I perceived- was my ideal weight.

In January, I returned from travelling South America, 2 days before Christmas. I'll be the first to admit that I enjoyed Christmas; I had quite a few.. ehm, 'large' meals (feasts), but I was thinking "What the heck, it's Christmas?". Unfortunately, I got my 'never full' appetite back, I kept eating, binging, scoffing; crisps, chocolate, loafs of bread & butter - I felt like I was eating for 2, even 3. This continued all through January, February, March... and hasn't really eased off. I've had the odd days, maybe no more than a week where I've managed to control my eating and lose a few pounds, but I just cannot get into a routine. My brilliant girlfriend has been so patient and supportive, but she's definitely losing patience now as my unhappiness is bringing her down too.

But it's a vicious cycle and you hear it all the time. I eat because I'm sad and I'm sad because I eat so.

I need help on how to change my frame of mind. I just have no motivation to lose weight and I don't see myself getting any. Is this common after getting to your 'ideal weight' that you become almost lethargic with your routine? I've achieved the goals I set, but now they're far away again, but I feel I've done what I needed.

I just need advise, anything. It's really dragging me down and any help is so appreciated.

Thanks again,
Josh

[Some before/after pictures]
15933_342855330222_3213478_n.jpg

Early 2011 - after completing the Three Peaks Challenge
267642_1705466851295_6820303_n.jpg

Jan 2012
388841_10150568594180435_602041185_n.jpg

476694_10150810510609225_94933224_o.jpg

Unfortunately there are no recent ones, as I shy away from the camera a bit more now. :(

Hi Joshwa

I can't see your pics for some reason but well done for your weight loss so far!

I think the fact that you have posted above means you want a change and are on track for the right mindset :)

If you respond well to goals, have you got another exercise challenge you can set yourself? Do you run for instance? You could do a training plan for a particular distance within your ability. Running is an awesome exercise for weightloss and endorphine release - so basically WIN WIN :D

Or perhaps embarking on an exercise routine with your girlfriend so you have her support/encouragement not to skip a session etc if you are doing it together. If you have a gym membership then just setting times to go together even if you actually work out separately as making it through the door is half the battle I find. Maybe even a totally separate activity like rock climbing on an indoor wall together? or salsa classes or something?

Foodwise- do you follow a particular plan or just eat healthily/calorie count?

Hey,

Set yourself a few challenges....... if you need motivation try to think how happy you will feel when you loose the weight. This is going to sound weird but stand in front of a mirror with not much on and think are you happy with yourself ? Try and picture where you want to get and how you are going to get there.

When you over eat and have big meals and think oh its only once and then it happens again and again...... the only person your cheating is yourself. Your before and after pictures are amazing! You need to find the strength that it took you to get there. Get back into your old routine!

Hope this helps :) You can do it!!!!

Im in a very similar situation. I have always been overweight and unhappy. In 2000 I lost 6 stone,then got married, had a very unhappy marriage but did have 4 beautiful children whom i adore, slowly all of the weight that i had lost came back on. I am now about to get married again and I so desperately want to be the person I was when I lost the weight before,happy and care free. I am very fortunate that my husband to be is very supportive of me and will follow any plan that i so wish and tries his hardest to keep me motivated. My main goal in life is to be happy with the man that i love and my adorable children. And for me that means i need to lose weigh and become ME again. I joined SW a few months ago and was doing really well, but recently i have totally lost control of my eating. I WILL get back on track and starting from tomorrow i will look after myself inside and out.
Josh, you have done SO well, do not give up now. We all have ups and downs, and for some of us those ups and downs last longer than others. Put a smile on your face, stand up tall, look at what you have already achieved and plan for the week ahead.
I like you need the extra motivation,and I will be here to give the motivation to everyone in order to keep my own motivation up. Take care and smile.

hi :) the way i am keeping up the motivation is by setting challenges and goals. eg - when i reach size 18 - my OH and I are going for a romantic drive, size 16 - .... and so on.... Small goals with a reward I have found to work well for me :) wish you all the luck :) xx

A happy brain has plenty of nutrition. You may think you are sad because you gained weight. But the weight gain is actually an increase in toxins your body is struggling with, so a decrease in available alkalinity for your brain. Increase your alkalinity by green & purple veggie juicing, increasing your raw plant consumption, and decreasing toxins from animal products and acrylamide from cooked foods. As your body catches up with it's house cleaning, one day you'll wake up happy. What your weight is won't matter and you'll just get out and play and enjoy life. Then the weight will just fall off.

Back