Tips to help restart losses when they slow down

autumnflower

Hello! Thought this might be helpful here for people who have perhaps STS for a few weeks, or who are near target and found their losses have slowed. I think i've got most of the good tips to make SW work for you, but feel free to add any tips/links of your own :D Really hope this helps people who have lost their mojo!

1. Are you eating the same healthy extras every week?

Try mixing things up a bit instead of having say, bran flakes for breakfast each day. Have beans on toast, ryvitas, porridge, alpen lights. Instead of having lots of cheese, alternate it with milk ect. Make each day different, so hopefully this will jump start the body into loosing.

2. Have a food challenge, there are plenty to choose from!

Scan Bran ChallengeTry and have at least 3 scan bran each day, aiming towards replacing a HEB with the 5 scan bran that you can have; more info here and there is a scan bran recipe thread here;
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-teams/187100-scan-bran-challenge-4.html

and here is thread with scan bran recipes;
http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/109943-scan-bran-recipe-thread.html

Speed Food challenge
Try and have 8 speed foods each day, this thread has a soup recipe that uses 12 speed foods in it, and using it for lunches and such;

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-recipes/137596-super-speed-food-challenge-soup.html

Fishy Week
A lot of people have tried this, and it seems to give some good results! Try having fish for one meal a day, 2 if you can handle that and all 3 if you are hardcore! See the *my fishy week* thread for some ideas!

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/159088-my-fishy-week.html

Lucky Seven Challenge
7 glasses of water, 7 superfree foods and 7 speed foods per day
(one food can be both superfree and speed)

3. Start some Body Magic
If you haven’t started working towards your body magic awards, start now! Exercise is also good at boosting your mood too, so try and walk a bit further each day, buy a workout DVD or start an exercise class such as Zumba. I’ve you have already started Body Magic, have you got stuck in the same routine? If so try something new.

4. Look through some old slimming world mags/this forum for some new recipe ideas.

Perhaps try some recipes that you think you might not like, and hopefully you will be suprised!

5. Pick up something in the supermarket that you have never tried before.

Try a new fruit or veg, ie; aubergine, courgette, butternut squash, celaric, some of the more exotic fruit ect. You could choose a recipe from the SW Mag that includes a food you haven’t tried before.

6. More superspeed foods/ melon

Up your superspeed food count, so stuff like melons and mixed berries which are free on all plans, some white fish which are free on red, and beans which are free on green such as canellini, broad and the old fave... baked beans!

7. Take some body measurements

Perhaps your body is loosing inches rather than weight, so take some body measurements and compare them every so often as well. This is especially important when exercising I think!

8. Alter your syn amounts.

Have you tried having the full 15 syns each day, and having different things instead of chocolatey treats perhaps? Try incorporating syns into meals instead.

10. Change which plan you follow each day

Are you constantly following EE? or green, or red? Some people report good losses when they have a week of following the RED plan, or simply just alternating between each plan every day, so the body doesn't get used to eating the same types of food each day.

11. Drink more liquid

Aim to have your recommended 8 glasses of water a day, perhaps using green or peppermint tea and No Added Sugar squash. Coffee is meant to make you dehydrated though, so try and reduce this.

12. Review your portion sizes

It may be that you haven't reduced the amount you eat even if you have lost several stone, and your body now needs less calories to keep going. I’ve tried taking out a portion and freezing it for leftovers, then separating the food out for mine and my OH’s meal. It’s usually still a large and satisfying portion, and I have lunch for the next day and have reduced my calorie intake too!

13. Are you really getting a third superfree?

Yes, you did put some peppers into that lasagne, but are you over estimating the amount of superfree food in there? Even if you think that your putting lots of SF food in, are you sharing the meal out between two or more, and therefore reducing your actual intake of superfree? Try placing the raw ingredients to whatever you are making onto a plate and check whether your SF portion is enough to cover 1/3rd of the plate.

14. Are you measuring your Healthy Extra’s?

Found a post where one consultant brought various bits like cheese and milk and got members of the class to pour out what they thought was a healthy extra's worth without weighing it. When weighed it was found that most people were not accurate and having more that they should. Have you become complacent with your HE’s and stopped weighing them as you think you know what 28g of cheese looks like ect? Get those kitchen scales out!

15. Success Express

Have you tried throwing in a few days of Success Express? This is where you up your intake of superfree to 2/3rds of your plate, and the other third is stuff which is free on any plan. Then you only snack on Super Free food like fruit and veg. You take the higher syn value for syn'd items, and have 2 healthy extra A+B as normal. There is a thread better explaining this with pictures on here;

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/200528-success-express.html

OK, so there we go! It's a bit general but hopefully will be of use :D

Last edited:
What fantastic advice, thanks,

I seem to be struggling at the moment, so I'm going to try some of your suggestions.

The scales seem to be showing a 1lb gain again this week so feeling a bit low.

Good thread. Only thing I can think of not mentioned is exercise-if you havent been doing any now may be the time to start or if you have been have you got stuck in the same routine? If so try something new.

Have also seen on here where people have had good loses doing a scan bran challenge, havent tried it myself-not exactly a fan of the stuff but desperate times call for desperate measures!

Good list! I think I would add to review portion sizes. It may be that you haven't reduced the amount you eat even if you have lost several stone and that your body needs less calories to keep going. It's one I'm going to try anyway as I'm hitting a wall at the moment.

Great thread, thanks :)

Plenty of speed and superspeed foods! Good luck x

Great thred! The other week at class we all tried the Lucky 7s challenge - 7 glasses of water, 7 superfree foods and 7 speed foods per day (one food can be both superfree and speed). Makes you think about your food a bit more and we got a great group weight loss that week!

Great thread, have bookmarked it! Will have to try a few if I'm still slow this week. x

Thank you, fab thread! I'm off to dust off that packet of scan bran that have been hiding in the cupboard for months!!!

Just bumping this thread as I have lost nothing this month! In fact I think I gained 2 lbs! I am going to review portion sizes and aim for 10 syns rather than 15 this week.

Back